Anyone use the Nikon 16mm f/2.8 or Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
It has been crossing my mind for a while I would like to have ago at Fisheye photography and try and create some different style of images, I'am really interested in the 16mm f/2.8 Nikon and read some reviews online about how sharp it is! Does anyone on here have any experiences with the lens and what you think of it? Not looking at the 10.5mm as its a DX lens so won't work well at all on my D800 in FX, but if anyone knows where you can get the lens hood shaved for it let me know! I see 360pano do it here : http://www.360pano.de/en/tokina-sigma-nikon.html anyone used them before?

Last edited:
Joe, I have and use an 8mm Sigma fisheye on my D700 (and used to use it on my 35mm film bodies). It gives a full 180° circular image on FF but crops a little arc from the top and bottom of crop body images. IIRC, it's one of the few circular image fisheyes with AF, although the DoF available makes focus relatively unimportant!

10.5 one of my fave fisheyes of all time, used mainly on a D7000, when I moved to Canon FF the 15mm was the option choice and I was so disappointed compared to the Nikon 10.5, its one of those 'it just works' lenses for me, and out of the half a dozen fisheyes I have had its been the best one for autocorrection in Lightroom, literally 2 clicks of the mouse button in LR and you have a wide angle with minimal distortion photo.

6678907687_ab25d323eb_b.jpg

6678802283_54b73cb3f6_o.jpg

6806943659_9f646ff159_b.jpg

Thanks for your comments guys, I'am edging more and more for the 16mm f/2.8 currently as it will easy to use on my D800 and great reviews on it, I know I could get the 10.5mm shaved but not 100% sure about that...

I would buy used because people usually get bored pretty quickly with Fisheye's.

I would buy used because people usually get bored pretty quickly with Fisheye's.

Thats what I'am planning on doing if I do get one, just thinking it could create some interesting images on my D800 with football stadiums, landscapes, etc. Fisheye is the only type of lens I do not have and think it would be worthy to add to the collection...

On such a wideangle I wouldn't imagine you would need it. dof will be massive.

they hyperfocal distance of the 16mm at f4 is 2.15m !

AF is definitely a non-essential luxury on fisheyes.

I use the Nikon 16mm f2.8 on a D700 and film cameras, it is the older on so Ai only NO AF. I also have a 14mm f2.8 AF lens but to be honest on lesn this wide AF makes very little differnce.

The 16mm will give you full frame image and when stopped doen to something like f8-f11 it, to me appears sharp across the image (I don't pixel peep so I have not zoomed in to 150% to see). It is easy to use on the D700 simply because the focus is so short. Teh can "bend" things if you are to close to them but if you get it level and frame a landscape right it can give interesting vistas.

You can't use filters on the front but on mine the filters sit behind the lens, mind you they are only really good for black and white, red, orange, and coupleof others.

Fisheyes are great fun but can be over used as others have said.

Back