Anyone used a variable ND filter?

My understanding is that they may cause a cross shape darkening when used on wide angle lenses.

Why not buy a 10 stop? There's this Haida 10 stop that's pretty good and affordable.

Thanks for that.

I thought a 10 stop may be too much and everyone would disappear - I thought variable would give me more control?

I have one, but haven't really used it much......

They're nearly all made by the same company in China, sold on ebay for around £8-£15.

The one you linked to is almost certainly the same as mine, mine is branded as "Neewer". The build and text font look exactly the same.

I had to dismantle mine to clean little Chinese finger prints from the inside and there is slight ripple in the glass (which doesn't seem to show at all on the images).

I bought it because I didn't know what ND filters I needed, it seemed like a cheap way to experiment and find out.

Last edited:
Cheers, think I'm just going to buy one and have a play. I guess with it being variable it's going to be a bit hit and miss getting the exposure spot on though.

I brought a cheap one to try out off Ebay it's made by Green and 77mm
Only used it a few times to blur water but seems really good. My next task is trying out what you've said as we have a stunning Cathedral near by and is great to try that style on. Will post my pictures if they work out.

I bought one a while back and used it a few times for waterfalls etc but noticed a dark cross appearing as I got towards the max setting.

I tried a Lightcraft Fader MKII - I wasn't impressed with the results - seems to harm
IQ significantly. I went with a 9 stop in the end instead.

Other consideration is that a variable ND is effectively two polarisers - one in front of the other.
This means you can get polariser effects in addition to simply cutting out light that, depending on your subject, may or may not be desirable.

I tried a Lightcraft Fader MKII - I wasn't impressed with the results - seems to harm
IQ significantly. I went with a 9 stop in the end instead.

What part of IQ? sharpness? always been tempted by one but have resisted after hearing about it not being that great.

What part of IQ? sharpness? always been tempted by one but have resisted after hearing about it not being that great.

Well I was using one so that I could get away with using portable studio flash outdoors at slower shutter speeds with larger apertures - just felt every shot looked a bit smeary - it went straight back to the shop.

Phil

I've just purchased a variable Nd to test the water with grads. My only concern is that I may still get a washed out sky if the foreground is perfectly exposed. But if I get the sky right I will still have an under exposed foreground.

The gradual nd route would be preferred but I was just toe dipping in grads, hence why I only spent a little on it.

I've just purchased a variable Nd to test the water with grads. My only concern is that I may still get a washed out sky if the foreground is perfectly exposed. But if I get the sky right I will still have an under exposed foreground.

The gradual nd route would be preferred but I was just toe dipping in grads, hence why I only spent a little on it.

A variable ND is no substitute for grads, it just makes everything darker, to lengthen your exposure, your sky will be just as blown as it was before the filter, it is a matter of relative brightness of the sky compared to the foreground.

You should still be able to fit a grad in front of the filter but it will make things a touch more difficult.

I kind of thought that. Then thought maybe I should do a sky for the land, a shot for the sky and merge them after. Then if I get really into it invest in a proper set of filters. Thanks for the confirmation

Thanks, it will help for sure. I reckon that if I can get into I will sort out some better grads and a better tripod. At this moment in time I don't know if I have the right time / frame of mind to go out and do landscapes, yet I know I will love it though.... :wacky:

Back