Critique At the Barbers

Wish I could say they're a cut above :p
Great idea, and plenty of potential, but let down a bit by the lighting and focus in some of the shots.
The first one, I like the scissor blur, but feel its spoiled by the white balance.
the one with the mirror has potential, but I think it would be improved if the reflected image was in focus.
The last one would be improved by less dead space to the left, and possibly a shutter speed to freeze the spray.
Not saying I could do better mind.

Hi Robert
Just what I needed to hear TBH.......The Barber shop is in a basement with one small window at street level I was shooting ISO in auto by the looks of the exif data and should have set this a lot higher
White Balance is something I need to learn I mainly use auto
The model is actually pulling tongues in the mirror picture maybe with a bit more ISO I would have captured this and not shoot wide open all the time.....all noted for next time
great feedback thank you

Last edited:
If you shot in RAW, you can just white balance off the wall if it was actually a white wall (or close to it).

Always carry a grey card... make sure your first shot of the session includes a grey card in the frame, so you have a white balance target. If the lighting doesn't change for the entire session, you can batch white balance ALL shots from that one reference image with the grey card in it.

I do shoot RAW pokey and will take this (the grey card) on board it's not something I've tried before...thanks for the advise

Thanks Huffy using Aperture at the mo...I've not got Lightroom but have CS6 I mainly use Illustrator though I've not used Photoshop in years

Whatever editing software you use should be able to do this.

That's better, yes. With mixed lighting types you'll never get a completely even white balance across all aspects of the image, but this is MUCH better than the heavy yellow cast it had.

Thanks David
Stupid question here next.... would changing the white balance before the BW conversion make any difference to the ones posted above or is white balance purely for colour only

If shooting a reflection shot like #4, you really need the focus to be on the reflection. Have a think about what that shot would have been like if you'd moved a little to the left and shot from a little higher, with the reflection in focus. Worked for me every time with hairdressers and brides ;)

Hi Dan thanks for your input...I will take this onboard as I have another opportunity to shoot there this weekend

Thanks David
Stupid question here next.... would changing the white balance before the BW conversion make any difference to the ones posted above or is white balance purely for colour only

It can have a subtle effect, yes, as simply reducing an image to black and white's results depends on the colours present beforehand. Ideally, don't just make an image black and white, but take some control of how the tones are translated into greys.

See this thread.

Preparing colour image for B&W conversion

Back