'avin' a go at collisions

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally got round to building my self an infra red flash/camera, delay trigger then after reading through Ash`s tutorial ( good guide m8...cheers) these certainly are not easy to do :)

Here's a few out of the 3-400 shots I took,

A bit pink, and some strange ones in there, but not too shabby I don't think

C&C welcome

4714804660_af20d203f1.jpg

2. Monkey face ( must have caught my refection lol )
4714804640_ba91f7c27a.jpg

4714804630_b99f264f0e.jpg

4.UFO
4714804628_42bf97e55c.jpg

Very nice collisions (y) can we see your setup or at least find out a little more about your trigger?

The trigger is a photo sensitive Schmitt trigger which is connected to a adjustable time delay circuit. Based around a couple of circuits here
A few modifications here and there, but basically the same.

So.. the water droplet or whatever passes between the sensors, which can trigger your flash or your camera or both, only one via the delay circuit, so far, the other is immediate.

It helps a little :)

A pic of my set up
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/Bagger/IMG_6400.jpg

and another one I did with different colour drops
4714745531_73a3835806.jpg

Last edited:
Bril! (y)

The first one and the last one you just posted are my faves, love the shape :)

Thanks.
Like you said this is addictive :)
Ive been playing again, this time with different backgrounds and adjusting the lighting, which I think is allot better. All fine tuning really.

My latest efforts

4717100141_cfe762f6fc.jpg

4717100131_b7f3872645.jpg

4717100127_5efbdb6b13.jpg

Number 1 is awesome! I haven't had a proper go at collisions again for ages. Partly because I am too busy and partly because I am longing for timing device better than HiViz to have a go. StopShot and Mumford Time Machine both make amazing valves and timers that, if you have the basics sorted, you can produce so many simply outstanding forms that the manual method (of producing drops, not timing the flash so much) can't compete with in a million years!

Check out Corrie's collisions... I just can't stop linking people to hers!

From the look's of number 1 you have the basics well and truely sorted! I love it. (y) How's about you buy you and me a valve for the hundreds of dollars they're sellling for? :LOL:

Number 1 is awesome! I haven't had a proper go at collisions again for ages. Partly because I am too busy and partly because I am longing for timing device better than HiViz to have a go. StopShot and Mumford Time Machine both make amazing valves and timers that, if you have the basics sorted, you can produce so many simply outstanding forms that the manual method (of producing drops, not timing the flash so much) can't compete with in a million years!

Check out Corrie's collisions... I just can't stop linking people to hers!

From the look's of number 1 you have the basics well and truely sorted! I love it. (y) How's about you buy you and me a valve for the hundreds of dollars they're sellling for? :LOL:

What problems you having with the Hi-Viz trigger ? The one I built was based around the circuits from that kit.
It seems to trigger the camera and the flash at the correct time.

The only problem really was getting a constant drip rate, which as I worked out is the key to a good collision.

I just googled "time machine" ... and yes a time machine "drip kit" would be great :)

I see thats what *corrie* uses and the results are simply stunning.
I may have to look into making a DIY drip kit. :)

My god these are top drawer collisions! I would be VERY happy with one of these. I'm in the process of conning... err I mean persuading a friend on TP to help me make one as my electrical skilz are a little basic :)

What problems you having with the Hi-Viz trigger ? The one I built was based around the circuits from that kit.
It seems to trigger the camera and the flash at the correct time.

The only problem really was getting a constant drip rate, which as I worked out is the key to a good collision.

I just googled "time machine" ... and yes a time machine "drip kit" would be great :)

I see thats what *corrie* uses and the results are simply stunning.
I may have to look into making a DIY drip kit. :)

It's not triggering the flash I have a problem with. I do all mine manually as you may have read and get good enough success rate with that. I need to solder the HiViz to make it work properly before using it again (I got a couple of collisions with it quite easily, but the connections are dodgy as I don't have a soldering iron so gave up again).

What I want/need :)lol:) is the electronic valves with the timing device for the flash (such as StopShot/Mumford Time Machine) incoorporated into one to take the collisions to the next level. Practising using different liquids and things is now getting slightly tiresome/expensive using the manual method, and it being so unpredictable!

My god these are top drawer collisions! I would be VERY happy with one of these. I'm in the process of conning... err I mean persuading a friend on TP to help me make one as my electrical skilz are a little basic :)

Great shots there, really cool!

Cheers :)

It's not triggering the flash I have a problem with. I do all mine manually as you may have read and get good enough success rate with that. I need to solder the HiViz to make it work properly before using it again (I got a couple of collisions with it quite easily, but the connections are dodgy as I don't have a soldering iron so gave up again).

What I want/need :)lol:) is the electronic valves with the timing device for the flash (such as StopShot/Mumford Time Machine) incoorporated into one to take the collisions to the next level. Practising using different liquids and things is now getting slightly tiresome/expensive using the manual method, and it being so unpredictable!

Yeah, the ability to just send down just 2 or 3 drops with timed intervals would be great. Certainly help save on the shutter life of my camera :LOL:

Stunning shots, the second set is the better. I like the inclusion of two building blocks very integral to the workings. I have have had the Mumford timing device for years, and when I decided to start doing collisions Mumford did not do a drop kit, so I spoke to Bryan and from that and subsequent conversations we have a drop kit.

Really great shots I love them!! and must have a go for myself
Da
Dave

Holy thread revival... Batman :D

Hi Mick, I have just seen your "Monkey Face" collision shot. It is clearly a monkey- wow.
I love the Flying Saucer from that set too. Great work

Its amazing how things appear at you
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3350432&postcount=1

Martin

These are superb :clap:

Really great shots I love them!! and must have a go for myself
Da
Dave

Stunning shots, the second set is the better. I like the inclusion of two building blocks very integral to the workings. I have have had the Mumford timing device for years, and when I decided to start doing collisions Mumford did not do a drop kit, so I spoke to Bryan and from that and subsequent conversations we have a drop kit.
If I remember right the bricks as you say were crucial in getting the right flow rate :)

Thanks for the kind comments every one (y)

These shots are all amazing to my mind and I'm being driven mad by trying to get similar results. Can somebody point me to Ash`s tutorial please before I loose it completely. :bang:

Nice shots with the different coloured drops

Back