Back Button Focusing - The dark side :-)

Name
Kenny
Edit My Images
Yes
I regularly read about the huge advantages of back button focusing and do understand the way it works. I have tried to use it, and tried to persevere but I just don't find it intuitive. Perhaps I should have kept trying?? It seems as thought there are loads of articles/features that promote it as though you need to use it to be good

Am I the only one who doesn't like it and (to be honest) doesn't need it.

I shoot loads of different genres including probably my favourite, sport which is often a bastion of back button focusing.

I tend to shoot using AI Servo and the central focusing point. I shot an event at the weekend and out of about 600 images, I lost about 10 for focus/exposure problems that I don't think back button focusing would have helped.

I also like to have my thumb free to change focus point or exposure compensation rather than have it focus??

I'm not knocking it and if it works for you great, I'm just curious how many people like me either don't like it and/or don't feel they need it.

Kenny

I use it all the time but not everyone likes it, IIRC Moose Peterson is one who publicly explains that he can't get on with it :)

Last edited:
I use it and find it works. It obviously doesn't, for you, so don't see why you're concerned. Just stick to what works for you.

I also use it all the time & find it works for me.

As others have said, just use what works for you.

I also like to have my thumb free to change focus point

For me, I find BB fucusing negates the need to do this. (mostly)

Just to clarify, I'm happy with what works for me.

My point was to gauge how many others feel the same or similar to me. I also wanted to point out that there are other points of view regarding BBF. If you look up articles, guides etc. they can be quite one sided.

Kenny

I use it where it is useful, it is easy to change from back button to the shutter release for focusing so depends what I am shooting as to which I use.......

Am I the only one who doesn't like it and (to be honest) doesn't need it.

Ive tried it and didnt like it at all (weddings and wildlife - not at the same time)

OK if you are doing handheld all the time, but you can't use it with a remote trigger, either wired in or wireless.

The advantage of BBF is simply that the lens will not focus/refocus every time you touch the shutter release. This can be very irritating, particularly for those using focus-recompose technique with the centre AF point. Pretty much by definition, that means the centre AF point will not be over the subject in the final composition. So, you either have to focus and hold half-pressure on the shutter release to lock focus (which is a PITA) or use BBF.

But if you don't experience this problem, then BBF has no advantage.

Last edited:
I'm with you Kenny. Ive had big discussions about it in the past, and even one guy told me I wasn't a professional because every pro uses it!
In my experience it tends to be more popular with Canon shooters, maybe something to do with the button layout.
Personally, BBF doesn't do anything I can't do already.

Hi, thanks for the opinions and I'm reassured that I'm not the only one that has doubts!! I totally get that some people find it either useful, easier or essential but I like to see some balance.

There are so many articles, videos and blogs that are 'pushing' it, that I felt there was a need for some balance, maybe I'll right a blog post on it!!

I guess it is like manual focusing, shooting modes etc. It is all about the end result and getting the shot you are looking for, what buttons you press and modes you use mean nothing if you get the shot.

Kenny

But if you don't experience this problem, then BBF has no advantage.

It goes further then that to be fair. I rather like the way effectively one can switch between MF, AF and locking focus just by pressing the back button.

I can see it doesn't suit everybody though

It's what ever suits you. For me I have 2 back buttons set up on my 7d2 one for a1 servo the other for one shot.

...where does the "dark side" come into it?

It's all about what works for you, not someone else.

The main downside to BBF I've found is when you hurriedly give you camera to someone for them to take a picture of you, it will always be out of focus :(

Which might be an upside, thinking about it...
This is exactly the problem I have every time, despite the fact I always clearly explain it to them :(

I am a recent convert, the only reason i started to use it was i started shooting birds, the advantage for me was it gives two focus modes on one button, bird perched focus BBF, the bird takes flight BBF, you have to put camera in AFC to work, i dont find it intuitive, and i wouldnt say i couldnt live without it.

I use BBF all the time. Just felt right to me as soon as I switched. Strange how we all see and feel the world differently.

Gaz

It's hardly about right or wrong, is it? Ignore the internet (or other) preachers - it's about what works for YOU - and to know that you have to explore everything, don't you? That's all.

I use it too, for jumping in equine photography. Occasionally it goes wrong but only on occasion. And that's the beauty of BBF - the hit rate is much higher.

In this photography, usually a jump, I focus on the jump poles/fence then when the horse's neck is in the shot just before take off I will focus on that. I'll hold the button down for around 1/2 second which gives the camera enough time to find its new target and focus accurately, then I will click as it takes off.

I like BBF in continuous focus mode because it gives me that, plus focus and release for reframing, and instant manual focus all without fiddling with controls. But... When I use a compact without a back button I don't miss it.

I like BBF in continuous focus mode because it gives me that, plus focus and release for reframing, and instant manual focus all without fiddling with controls. But... When I use a compact without a back button I don't miss it.
Likewise,BBF makes it easy to lock focus and then use the focus ring to peer past foliage etc,really useful for some wildlife shots.

There are so many articles, videos and blogs that are 'pushing' it, that I felt there was a need for some balance, maybe I'll right a blog post on it!!

I think the articles are there not to say BBF is better but because the alternative is the default for pretty much all modern cameras, so the articles are just informing people there is an alternative which may be good in some circumstances.There is not much mileage in writing an article that effectively says "take your camera out of the box, point it at things and press the shutter button".

I imagine the debate is somewhat coloured by how many and what type of AF points your camera has and what your subject is. If you have a load of AF points then I guess there is little need to focus and recompose but if you have fewer and you want things towards the corners to be in focus then it's either manual or BBF.

Back