Backlit (plus MK II, post 12)

Given a choice, I would prefer less arms and the top of her head, but this is very well done.

Hmm.. I was tempted to agree with the other comments, but part of me quite likes the amount of black vs white. If anything, I'd consider cropping it so the arms come down perfectly in the bottom left corner for symmetrical effect. I've done a fair bit of this sort of silhouette work (nothing I'd be prepared to share) and you can get quite creative with it. I'll be pinching your ideas :)

Very nice portrait style capture Gav, liking this pic bery much.

Very nicely done! Just the prefect amount of blacks on the model. How did you light and process this if I might ask?
Thank you, Ashish.
I use a 400w studio flash head and a stripbox.
I had Em stand near the corner of our bedroom (white-ish walls), I had the stripbox in front of her facing the wall to her side (camera front), the flash was set to be bright enough to blow the whites and bounce enough light back onto Em.
In the edit I dropped black levels and shadows a tad to get the balance I was after.

Hope this makes sense, I'm awful at explaining :LOL:

I am not keen on the angular crop at the head. Otherwise amazing !
Thank you, I will have another go annd see what I can do :)

Given a choice, I would prefer less arms and the top of her head, but this is very well done.
Thank you, Toni. I'll take another look soon (y)

Hmm.. I was tempted to agree with the other comments, but part of me quite likes the amount of black vs white. If anything, I'd consider cropping it so the arms come down perfectly in the bottom left corner for symmetrical effect. I've done a fair bit of this sort of silhouette work (nothing I'd be prepared to share) and you can get quite creative with it. I'll be pinching your ideas :)
Thank you, Ian. I'll keep playing, first time for me with this style, I can see this being fun!

Very nice portrait style capture Gav, liking this pic bery much.
Thank you, George.

Thank you all for the feedback :)

Last edited:
Nice shot and Lighting, A very forgiving wife.

Nice shot and Lighting, A very forgiving wife.
Thank you, Graham, I just have to tread carefully, I've been told I'll need surgery to reclaim my camera if I make something she doesn't like:runaway:
(Not married, we are engaged 13 yrs, we prefer living in sin :LOL: )

:LOL:

Last edited:
Interestingly, the top 1/3rd (head and neck) reminds me of those Indian type
wall hanging masks, / art that were all the rage in the 60's &70's.

Last edited:
Interestingly, the top 1/3rd (head and neck) reminds me of those Indian type
wall hanging masks, / art that were all the rage in the 60's &70's.
You're showing your age now! :p :exit:

I've just had a search on google, I see what you mean :) Cheers Chris.

MK II

I have left a little more light on Em and framed a little higher :)

Happy as always to hear thoughts, thank you for looking (y)

MKII by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr
I saw this first as an intriguing silhouette, then after looking at on Flicker I realised that there is just enough detail to see that it's a face in profile. It's different from the norm and very much better for it.

I saw this first as an intriguing silhouette, then after looking at on Flicker I realised that there is just enough detail to see that it's a face in profile. It's different from the norm and very much better for it.
Thank you, Christopher, I was a little worried about how others would see it, but glad the detail shows through, I really appreciate the feedback (y)

Back