Ball Head for a Monopod & Tripod

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
No
I started to research the ball heads and plates but I'm more confused than when I started.
I have a Canon 7D, 15-85, 70-200, 100-400
7d with 15-85 & 70-200 would be camera mounted, and the 100-400 lens mounted.
So I need a plate that can be left on the camera and a plate for the 100-400.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Budget top limit £225

Redsnapper ball head is pretty decent. I prefer the lightweight version...as it is light. And only 1 button to lock the ball.

Gimbals are heavy and bulky. It's worth putting up with all that bulk when shooting with a big tele - but it's overkill for your lenses.

Get a ballhead with an Arca-Swiss style clamp, then plates - one for the camera, one for the 100-400. If you do a lot of portrait-orientation shooting then you may want to look for an L-Plate for the camera.

I really like the Kirk plates -

100-400
7D

I've got one of these that I use with the 100-400. Love it. I had an expensive gimbal and couldn't get on with it. I find a fluid video head gives you much more control when panning on to a subject than a gimbal. I use a Giottos ball head with everything else.

Gerry

Gimbals are heavy and bulky. It's worth putting up with all that bulk when shooting with a big tele - but it's overkill for your lenses.

Get a ballhead with an Arca-Swiss style clamp, then plates - one for the camera, one for the 100-400. If you do a lot of portrait-orientation shooting then you may want to look for an L-Plate for the camera.

I really like the Kirk plates -

100-400
7D

Thanks Frank.
This looks just the what I'm looking for.
Any recommendation on a head?

Thanks Frank.
This looks just the what I'm looking for.
Any recommendation on a head?

I use an Acratech ballhead and have little experience of others, so I'll no be much help. I do know that several people on TP have, over the years, recommended the RedSnapper range. If I were buying another ballhead now then I'd probably start there.

With the lenses you have I'd use the tripod and ballhead for static shots. For anything like birds in flight I wouldn't bother using a head, but shoot handheld. The 100-400 is comparatively lightweight and handheld shooting is much, much easier than trying to use any sort of head. My Gimbal doesn't come out for anything less than a 300 f2.8.

Have you tried any of that Beike gear Gary? I am on the lookout for a Tripod and Head and some of that gear looks good, the only thing putting me off is that their Chinesse sellers.
Ive got that exact same Gimbal head and used it with a Nikon D3S with 400mm f/2.8 attached, excellent piece of kit, also got a decent Beike Ballhead

Thanks Gary.

When I look on sellers feedback page it's stating that they are based in China. Had this a couple of weeks back, but on StewartR tablet it stated US. Perhaps they now have a UK warehouse????

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...21482222909&ttype=price&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

I'm looking to purchase in a couple of weeks so I think I may give them a go, (Bieke). There's a few sellers of Bieke on ebay and the Tripods & Heads look good value.

Last edited:
China is where they registered as Ebay users but like many thousands of Ebay businesses have a base in the UK, its usually no more than a drop shiping office or garage in someones back yard but at least it is in the UK

I'm not sure I would use a tripod much, (way our rooms are laid out & my disabilities), So I dont want to spend too much money incase it sits in the corner for the rest of it's life. But looking at the below linked one which also includes a monopod it seems a bargain. If I find I use it regularly I will buy a better one if needed!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEIKE-BK-...71?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item4ad9d56097

Apolgies if I have taken thread slightly off track.

"When I look on sellers feedback page it's stating that they are based in China. Had this a couple of weeks back, but on StewartR tablet it stated UK. Perhaps they now have a UK warehouse???? "

OK, this is officially the weirdest typo or autofill I've ever seen.

Theres a typo in my post as I stated UK instead of US.:oops: :$ I have edited my post above for my typo.

Stewart, it's in reference to postings a few weeks back, myself and RKC were seeing that the seller was UK based on our computers and your device was showing US. See thread below.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/canon-6d-from-ebay.554421/#post-6411143

Last edited:
Theres a typo in my post as I stated UK instead of US.:oops: :$ I have edited my post above for my typo.
No, no, no, no, no! The thing that made it weird was seeing my name in it. Twice now! What's going on there?

I purchased a beike (i believe)tripod labelled q999 with a ball head from a sell called bingozomei, some neutral feedback claimed the seller was not in UK and took 2 weeks to arrive, this left me concerned although for £50 a tripod that takes 8kg i took the chance, needless to say it came in 3 working days, well packaged and is a fantastic product. I'd recommend highly, i haven't been out with it yet but it seems very well build apart from a little cosmetic plastic ring thing being loose, it came with a bag and a pouch to keep the head clean, its turns into a monopod and has a reverse thread so you can mount the camera upside down for low level shots. A more than suitable upgrade to my 7dayshop item (although this has been good to me)

Back