Bar Teos

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Here's just a few from this mornings job, a restaurant review column for Six Degree's magazine, a free English publication produced by The Helsinki Times.

Very quick and dirty stuff and lit with just two hot shoe flashes.

1: Juha Niemivou, owner and manager of Bar Teos, Töölö, Helsinki.
3381892331_87caa602fd_o.jpg

2: A lovely Tapas selection the reporter, James O'Sullivan and I, demolished once the frames were complete :D Very nice!
3382707736_d3b6929089_o.jpg

3:
3381886863_5fd600aa3e_o.jpg

Lighting recipe and set up here:

Last edited:
Love the portrait, very well lit. No so sure on the food shot, does not work for me. Restaurant shot is good if slightly dark in places.

Mart.

Love the portrait, very well lit. No so sure on the food shot, does not work for me. Restaurant shot is good if slightly dark in places.

Mart.

Cheers for the feedback Mart.

Yeah, I have a real terrible penchant for the dark and moody, I do try and remedy this as often as possible by taking a variety of different versions, I make sure the client gets a good broad choice rather than enforcing my preferences upon them. I have around 30 pics for the editor to choose from but I shan't inflict that many on thee.

Here are some alternatives:

4:
3381883573_3a699abd12_o.jpg

5:
_09T3158.jpg

6:
_09T3176.jpg

7: I lit the backroom with another speedlight here, I'm not sure with it though.
_09T3230.jpg

8:
_09T3226-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tomas

I think the second food shot betters the first, but the originals are awesome. I absolutely love the slightly dark look you have in the restaurant shot, it really makes the image in my opinion.

The portrait of Juha, the bar owner, is excellent too.

Quite honestly... I envy your ability Tomas. :)

Hi Tomas

I think the second food shot betters the first, but the originals are awesome. I absolutely love the slightly dark look you have in the restaurant shot, it really makes the image in my opinion.

The portrait of Juha, the bar owner, is excellent too.

Quite honestly... I envy your ability Tomas. :)

Such a charmer mate :p The more I think about it, the more I'd love to do a workshop and show ya'll that it's really not that hard and also lots of fun to boot.
Being honest, I don't feel qualified to do such a thing really but I can certainly cover the basics and meeting TP members would be awesome.

Maybe one day when I have a little more time and petty cash we could sort out a meet in the UK. :thinking:

Last edited:
I'm with Musicman on this, Tomas, the first set is very good and the portrait is flawless, I take it you used the softbox high and left and the second gun right and rear, was it bare?

That food looks good. ;)

I'm with Musicman on this, Tomas, the first set is very good and the portrait is flawless, I take it you used the softbox high and left and the second gun right and rear, was it bare?

That food looks good. ;)

I'm such a traitor, the softbox stayed at home for this one but it got some heavy use for this shot at the strobist meet last Sunday.

Reason being: I had to fit all my gear into my Lowepro fastpack 350 backpack, I had a single nano stand with Wescott umbrollie in a monopod bag that was ball bungee'd to the side of the bag :bonk: I had to travel light this morning on the tram.

In the end I opted for the silver reflector configuration of the Wescott brollie and up high and camera right, the snooted SB was on the left.
You can just make out the flare from the snoot on the left hand side by the castle on the wall.
I shoulda taken a better set up shot but the food was getting cold :crying:

3382693736_99597cc8db_o.jpg

Such a charmer mate :p The more I think about it, the more I'd love to do a workshop and show ya'll that it's really not that hard and also lots of fun to boot.
Being honest, I don't feel qualified to do such a thing really but I can certainly cover the basics and meeting TP members would be awesome.

Maybe one day when I have a little more time and petty cash we could sort out a meet in the UK. :thinking:
I'm sure if I can do one (I'm doing one at the TP meet!!), that you could do one too Tomas!!!

Loving number 6 as the food shot, & number 7 as the room shot. Both realy good.

Cheers,

Mart.

Look. I'm getting pretty sick of you being so damn good at portraits! Why don't you just pack it in!?! ;)

Have to agree with the others on the food shots though. Whilst you are the dark and moody master; it doesn't really suit food. Clean and fresh is what you need.

Look. I'm getting pretty sick of you being so damn good at portraits! Why don't you just pack it in!?! ;)

Have to agree with the others on the food shots though. Whilst you are the dark and moody master; it doesn't really suit food. Clean and fresh is what you need.

:LOL: Point taken, I think I have to put my dark and moody mojo back in the bag for certain things, I'll be much more aware of it in future I promise.

Thanks for the heads ups amigo's (y)

If you can fly to exeter I can get a room (to meet in) at the uni :D
I'd love to go to a proper seminar :D

Noted Dave, I'm provisionally putting the idea in the pipelines but assessing the short and longs, hold that thought bud. (y)

another vote for the portrait mate:clap: very good .

and thanks for the setup pic :clap:

md:wave:

6+7 for me too, Tom (y)

It goes without saying that the portrait is excellent, I don't see any evidence of a CTO in it though, so I take it your copy of the McNally book hasn't arrived yet....you'll see what I mean when it does get there :LOL:

Back