Bargain 60D

Good point, thankfully I'm actually considering a downgrade from my 7D, so its that that will be up for sale if anything, I bet theres someone whos a bit miffed in the classified though as they're selling this exact makeup at the moment.

Still we can't advise either party as that would not be at all fair.

Good point, thankfully I'm actually considering a downgrade from my 7D, so its that that will be up for sale if anything, I bet theres someone whos a bit miffed in the classified though as they're selling this exact makeup at the moment.

Still we can't advise either party as that would not be at all fair.

why are you donwgrading? whats wrong with the 7d?

Nothing at all, its a great camera and I may not yet, but given that I'm just a guy with a hobby and have no professional need I may find the 60D suits me just as well.

Now I do do some BIF and try my best to catch my daughter running around like a nutter, but I very rarely use a full burst any more so I could drop the FPS and if the AF isn't that much worse I may find its fine too.

I do worry a little about the lack of MA, but surely not everyone out there without a 7D is shooting out of focus images!

Are you strapped for cash? if not then even though your a hobbiest, why sell your 7d unless you either need the extra cash OR looking to upgrade.

i dont think many people sell something so they can downgrade?

No not really, its just if the 60D caters for my needs then why not move to it?

Sure the 7D is excellent I cannot disagree, but if the 60D is just as good for me then I can sell the 7D, keep the 17-55mm f2.8 IS as well and have got that lens for what £150 or so as the 7D should get £850-900, or if I refer the 7D then I will know for sure and sell the 60D.

On top of all that Tesco have a returns policy which I can still use should I like neither camera nor lens.

I foresee some furious activity on the classifieds very soon and be careful not to contravene this rule

No profiteering* : Selling or dealing in items that the staff believe have been purchased for profit is not permitted

(y) Yup - it is against the rules to profiteer, just be aware of that please everyone, not that we think any of you would of course ;)

For delivery on Friday 31st December 9999 between 11:59pm - 11:59pm

lol, i just got this too.

If an item is under priced Tesco can cancel the order at any time before its despatched so fingers crossed they get some sent out soon for all you lucky people

Still can't see them wearing this unless it really is genuine and they have got some sort of bulk deal going

Hi

I had my order from yesterday cancelled (bank problems).

So I've re-ordered using the Quidco/Tesco vouchers kindly noted by other folk here. Let's see if this one works.

Chris

What amazes me with this sort of deal if it goes through is have tesco made a profit at that price
If they have then we are all being seriously taken for a ride as it is coming direct from canon

My Account status has now changed to "In warehouse and ready to be despatched"

This is an automated message, my order status changed to this as soon as payment was taken.

With the £50 quidco discount and the addditional 3% AND the 2000 Tesco points you're affectively getting the kit for £900!

BTW I noticed there are other forums discussing this, too. I don't hold much hope in this being honoured - figners crossed.

(y) Yup - it is against the rules to profiteer, just be aware of that please everyone, not that we think any of you would of course ;)

Hello Yvonne,

No intention of profiteering, honest! Can I get clarification on one point though. I'm buying the kit purely for the lens, what would be consirdered profiteering if selling the 60D on it's own?

I would hope not as you're buying the item for the lens and selling the excess item (to you), just the same as buying a camera with a kit lens and selling the lens, if thats against the rules then there are a lot of rule breakers out there!

I myself could go either way, if I don't find the 60D is good enough and the lens is great then off goes the 60D, likewise if I find the reverse then away with the lens, if I don;t like either then back to Tesco with them.

I belive/hope the ruling is against those that see someone selling a lens way too cheap, buy it then resell for its proper value - easily done but a little unethical.

By the way I just found out that the 60D is compatible with magic lantern which is a bonus too.

Last edited:
JohnN said:
I would hope not as you're buying the item for the lens and selling the excess item (to you), just the same as buying a camera with a kit lens and selling the lens, if thats against the rules then there are a lot of rule breakers out there!

I myself could go either way, if I don't find the 60D is good enough and the lens is great then off goes the 60D, likewise if I find the reverse then away with the lens, if I don;t like either then back to Tesco with them.

I belive/hope the ruling is against those that see someone selling a lens way too cheap, buy it then resell for its proper value - easily done but a little unethical.

By the way I just found out that the 60D is compatible with magic lantern which is a bonus too.

I'm hoping this too as hopefully will get the deal for the 60d only

Ah, its a firmware hack that opens up some features that if Canon chose to could have done themselves, such as trap focus and time lapse and all sorts of other goodies.

Ah, its a firmware hack that opens up some features that if Canon chose to could have done themselves, such as trap focus and time lapse and all sorts of other goodies.

Excellent, I will have a look at this later.

By the way this isn't the first time the price has been around £1K by the way - according to CPB somewhere in the beginning of April it looks like it was cheap too, sadly no idea of the details, but it does make it sound a little more real.

Also it may just be that given the amount of detail and the type of retailer they are a newcomer to photography may not realise that the lens it comes with is so valuable and would have looked at it and said, why spend £1500 on one with a lens with such a short number range when I can get one with two lenses for £400 less, as such this package wouldn't have sold very well at all.

Last edited:

Yvonne, the only reason I'm buying this is for my photography student son who wants the lens as he recently left all of his gear in a taxi and never got it back! (Anyone hear of a 50D, 17-85mm and 430EX11 for sale in Edinburgh without boxes cables etc let me know please!). He wants the 7D so if this Tesco deal goes through he'll be selling the 60D (on here hopefully!) so I hope that's not considered to be profiteering - surely not?

JohnN said:
By the way this isn't the first time the price has been around £1K by the way - according to CPB somewhere in the beginning of April it looks like it was cheap too, sadly no idea of the details, but it does make it sound a little more real.

Also it may just be that given the amount of detail and the type of retailer they are a newcomer to photography may not realise that the lens it comes with is so valuable and would have looked at it and said, why spend £1500 on one with a lens with such a short number range when I can get one with two lenses for £400 less, as such this package wouldn't have sold very well at all.

It was abc digital (or someone like that) and they cancelled all orders

the only reason I'm buying this is for my photography student son who wants the lens

If he just wants the lens why not buy it separately for less than the Tesco combined price, sounds like profiteering to me unless you intend knocking the 60D out dirt cheap

Last edited:
just ordered, great find, used the afore mentioned £50 voucher, gone through quidco as well to get an 5% (£45) cash back as well :)

If he just wants the lens why not buy it separately for less than the Tesco combined price, sounds like profiteering to me unless you intend knocking the 60D out dirt cheap

Don't really understand the question? If you were a struggling student and going to buy a lens for £750 and someone offered you a £700 camera body for another £200 - what would you do...?

I'm buying the kit purely for the lens

As someone else said here and I repeat why not buy it separately for about 750 quid, only motive is making a quick buck from the camera and yes if its sold here I would consider it profiteering as in buying to sell on at a profit

Can't explain much clearer than that, be interested to hear the mods view as ever its their rules and doesn't really matter how you or I interpret it

Last edited:
I would consider it profiteering as in buying to sell on at a profit

I wouldn't consider this buying to sell on at a profit, I have ordered this package for the lens. I would not have bought this lens was it not for the bargain. If I sell on the camera body and keep the lens, I am still going to be about £300 out of pocket, depending what I get for it. Now if I sell on the lens, then that would be making profit.

So, if you won camera in a competition you couldn't sell it? Not quite the same but not a million miles off.

I think profiteering in this case is all about intent and nothing more, if you intend to use it but choose not to after a short while then it is not, if the sole purpose is to buy it low and resell then it is.

Anyway this could all be moot for two possible reasons:

1) Tesco may not honor it - according to their T&C's until it is shipped (even after taking money) they can change their mind
2) You're all assuming the price will snap back up - it may not.

Just hope if all these deals go through the site owners come up with a definitive ruling, can just imagine the squabbling with offers when buyers know full well how much these kits cost.

Makes no difference if you buy it for the lens and sell the camera to cover the costs or vice versa. Personally think Ebay and similar sites are more suitable selling grounds than the TP classifieds, bit too much like exploiting friends and colleagues

Perhaps I have too much of a moralistic view, but that's my choice and will leave it to your conscience when deciding

Last edited:
As someone else said here and I repeat why not buy it separately for about 750 quid, only motive is making a quick buck from the camera and yes if its sold here I would consider it profiteering as in buying to sell on at a profit

Can't explain much clearer than that, be interested to hear the mods view as ever its their rules and doesn't really matter how you or I interpret it

How is this different to buying a job lot on eBay for a relatively cheap price and selling on the parts you don't want - this is something I have seen on this forum before

How is this different to buying a job lot on eBay for a relatively cheap price and selling on the parts you don't want - this is something I have seen on this forum before

Very similar I agree, but this time it will be so patently obvious and i'm just playing the devils advocate really.
Still don't think it will come to fruition, but if it does could get a bit messy and we all know the classifeds are a real pain to the mods at the best of times.

Not my decision i'm glad to say, but if it were I would have a blanket ban on selling these parts here just for the sake of peace.

Sure everyone can see how it could cause grief, money does strange things to some people

we all know the classifeds are a real pain to the mods at the best of times.

Very true Rich, but it also drives traffic and adds virtual monetary value to the forum and it's name.

...but if it were I would have a blanket ban on selling these parts here just for the sake of peace.

Sure everyone can see how it could cause grief, money does strange things to some people

Surely that would be grossly unfair to those that have bought the items separately, or for that matter at ANY other time than during this period, now that would be nightmare to police.

On top of that you couldn't just ban those replying in this thread as there will be plenty of others that have gone for this deal but not posted so that would penalize those wiling to share and discuss this - not exactly the community spirit we all enjoy. So all in all best to leave well alone as that must be the least damaging option available.

Now I do agree with the second comment, luckily if the parts were resold then not only would the seller get a good deal, but so would the buyer - actually new products at a second hand prices - win win in my eyes (although I could understand some thinking they should have just been given the item, but then who's the greedy ones then?)

Last edited:
bit too much like exploiting friends and colleagues

Not quite sure how selling a prospective buyer a brand new 60D at a price much lower than they could get it anywhere else is "exploiting friends and colleagues"....bit of twisted logic there I think!

Analogy time......I'm looking for a CF Benro Travel Angel at the moment (circa £270) and if anyone on here would like to exploit me and sell me one for lets say £170 then I'll bite their arm off! I don't really think you're playing 'Devil's Advocate' here at all....in fact I'm not sure what your point is to be honest? Like I said before, my son was devastated about losing all his gear (his stupid fault and he realises that) and if this offer gets him back into the game again and someone else gets a great deal on a new 60D body then that's great for the Forum in my opinion and I really hope the mods see some sense in all this and don't buckle under to some pretty weird logic from a few. :thinking:

Just a thought, perhaps he should give the 60D a go before just selling it on, depending on whats his needs are he may find its good enough and that way just get a great deal.

Thats what I'm hoping to do, and if it meets my needs then its the 7D up for sale!

I had been wanting to upgrade to the 60d for some time, and just saw this thread. Couldnt resist it. Many thanks to OP. And hoping Tesco will honour it(y)

hehe, just seen that due to Tesco being daft and cancelling one I have two Quidco items tracked, now if that gets through it really would be the icing on the cake!

Back