Basics...........

So... lets sum this up?
You have limited photographic know-how
You have pretty limited photographic gear
What gear you DO have is 'a bit dodgy'
And you're planning on being main photographer for some poor lass's most important life event?
Hmmmmmmm........................
This does not sound the best plan to me...
I think prudence MIGHT be the better part of valour here.
Plead your camera fault; tell the girl to get a pro, and suggest that you'll take camera along and get whatever candids of the guests you can, and let her have what you get, but NOT to rely on you... the camera may pack up completely on you.

So... lets sum this up?
You have limited photographic know-how
You have pretty limited photographic gear
What gear you DO have is 'a bit dodgy'
And you're planning on being main photographer for some poor lass's most important life event?
Hmmmmmmm........................
This does not sound the best plan to me...
I think prudence MIGHT be the better part of valour here.
Plead your camera fault; tell the girl to get a pro, and suggest that you'll take camera along and get whatever candids of the guests you can, and let her have what you get, but NOT to rely on you... the camera may pack up completely on you.
Thanks for the positive input fella. (y)

He makes a good point though.

Most people see someone with a 'posh' camera (i.e. an SLR) and assume that automatically they are a pro 'tog. Little do they realise that it isn't quite as simple as that and getting the perfect wedding shots isn't a case of having a nice camera, which ALL the advice in this thread is pointing you towards.

Expectations need to be managed.

P.S. a minor point is that if you want people to help you, you have to make it easy for them, telling people "to search your flickr" without providing a link MIGHT be construed as arrogant...

Rs500chad said:

Ooohhh god here we go again .

There is nothing mike has put that you haven't confirmed yourself , so lets try a different route.

Buy loads of books, watch YouTube clips put what you have learned into practise ,again and again and again.

When it comes to the big day hope and pray you do a good job and that your camera holds up.
BUT , if you do a bad job and get a lot of abuse from your client and your camera doesn't hold up there's probably a 90% chance you will never want to pick a camera up again.

I'd go with the advise you've been given above.

Great advice in this thread so I'll add my bit....
It seems Richard that you're not happy if anyone says its a bad thing to do etc, I may well have this bit wrong but it appears to me you've made your decision and I doubt very much if you'll get anyone saying its a great idea so my bit of advice would be to do what you think is right and if you do go ahead with the wedding shoot then enjoy your day and hope it goes well, I'm sure you'll get good photos and as you've said, you've explained your not a professional so the couple won't be expecting professional quality images.

He does make a very good point which is why I'm on here asking for advise on better kit and trying to find out how to take better photos. (y)

He does make a very good point which is why I'm on here asking for advise on better kit and trying to find out how to take better photos. (y)

So when is the wedding then?

He makes a good point though.

Most people see someone with a 'posh' camera (i.e. an SLR) and assume that automatically they are a pro 'tog. Little do they realise that it isn't quite as simple as that and getting the perfect wedding shots isn't a case of having a nice camera, which ALL the advice in this thread is pointing you towards.

P.S. a minor point is that if you want people to help you, you have to make it easy for them, telling people "to search your flickr" without providing a link MIGHT be construed as arrogant...

Not arrogant mate, as said above didn't know how to post a link up. But I've done that now. :D

By the looks of it the Rs500chad wants people to tell him it's a good idea, and that everything will be OK with a little bit of knowledge and a new camera. :eek: :thinking:

Anything not following that is deemed negative. :LOL:

Hopefully he will get the help he wants to be able to do the wedding and produce pictures the Bride and Groom will be happy with, because as Stumac has said, I don't think the idea of not doing it is an option.

With that in mind, I would echo what Nawty said,

Good luck Rs500chad.

So when is the wedding then?

Next November mate. So I have a year to learn.

Don't you people think I haven't told them I'm not good enough to do it? Believe me I have, plenty of times, but she is adamant she wants me to do it.

So I'm trying to prepare myself to the best of my abilities and am going to give it my upmost attention.

Life is about challenges. This is one of them. I've told them I don't think I can do it and, as you've said, not to expect too much.

So as said, I'm after all the help I can get. :)

I was in this situation once, it turned out great!

The best thing I did was to go to the venue beforehand and figure out what was what.

Seriously though, with a year you've plenty of time - best advice is to get out there and shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

Next November mate. So I have a year to learn.

Don't you people think I haven't told them I'm not good enough to do it? Believe me I have, plenty of times, but she is adamant she wants me to do it.

So I'm trying to prepare myself to the best of my abilities and am going to give it my upmost attention.

Life is about challenges. This is one of them. I've told them I don't think I can do it and, as you've said, not to expect too much.

So as said, I'm after all the help I can get. :)

I'll be honest to say I'm relieved to learn its a year, I've seen plenty of people on this forum go from learning to quite accomplished photographers within 12 months of being members on here (y)

So get out shooting shoot as much as you can and get to know your camera...with a little more time you'll have an idea of extra gear that will be of benefit to you (y)

It's a waste of money to jump into buying new kit until you've got to know what you already have, I say this from experience (y)

And this is the most important part, please don't dismiss negative critique, if you really believe it's been made maliciously then please do report it, but honestly it's highly unlikely that it has, we all post on here because we want to a) improve our own photography and b) want to help those that need it with advice on how to improve...you must recognise that your only just venturing into the photography world and need to improve else why else would you have joined this forum...you've got some promising photos on Flickr but that said the are also a fair number that have flaws not always massive ones but they are there....

How do YOU control DoF?

DoF about the focus distance is altered by the aperture.

If you cant change the aperture, because the camera sets it automatically, then its rather pointless knowing what it does, less worrying about it!

If you dont know what the aperture is, or what it controls, or how to use it to exploit DoF... leave it to the bludy camera,. ITS suggested aperture settings are probably going to be better than some random notion you dial in!

Your entitled to your opinion; but why buy a modern camera with a gazzillion hours of development to make ever more refined Automatic Exposure programs, to completely ignore them, worse, reject AE settings for something completely different simply for some egotistical idea that 'real' photographers shoot on 'manual'!

Only time that you really need to use Manual Mode on a modern camera, and that's basically anything Digital, and quite a lot that takes film; is in situations where YOU know that the meter may be 'fooled' by the lighting, and / or, the program may make exposure settings based on that metering that are not so great.

And even then; you may not need to go to full manual, aperture or shutter priority may be more appropriate or even one of the special-program auto-modes with some exposure compensation dialed in, may suffice.

But either which way; Full Manual Control, Semi-Automatic, or Automatic-Compensation is only any good IF you know better than the camera WHAT you are looking at and have fully assessed the scene to begin with.

Concentrate on your SCENE not your Camera.

Get to know your camera.
Read the cameras manual.
TRUST your camera!
It's more likely to know what settings are best, more often than the photographer may know better!
But it doesn't have a clue what it is looking at!

What a load of rubbish.. who said anything about manual. The camera doesnt know what I want in or out of focus. So I choose using aperture priority. And the million hours went into givin us the final say. If you just point and click on auto id say your eye maybe there but your skills as a photographer arent. Its more than just seeing a shot its also about knowing how to capture it. And if you think knowing about apertures is to advanced for a beginner then think again. Its on page 1 of what you need to understand.

What a load of rubbish.. who said anything about manual. The camera doesnt know what I want in or out of focus. So I choose using aperture priority. And the million hours went into givin us the final say. If you just point and click on auto id say your eye maybe there but your skills as a photographer arent. Its more than just seeing a shot its also about knowing how to capture it. And if you think knowing about apertures is to advanced for a beginner then think again. Its on page 1 of what you need to understand.

Right, I think both sides of that argument have been made, it is up to the OP to decide what and how he wants to learn, but this thread does not need, and will not, turn into a slanging match. End of.

I'll be honest to say I'm relieved to learn its a year, I've seen plenty of people on this forum go from learning to quite accomplished photographers within 12 months of being members on here (y)

So get out shooting shoot as much as you can and get to know your camera...with a little more time you'll have an idea of extra gear that will be of benefit to you (y)

It's a waste of money to jump into buying new kit until you've got to know what you already have, I say this from experience (y)

And this is the most important part, please don't dismiss negative critique, if you really believe it's been made maliciously then please do report it, but honestly it's highly unlikely that it has, we all post on here because we want to a) improve our own photography and b) want to help those that need it with advice on how to improve...you must recognise that your only just venturing into the photography world and need to improve else why else would you have joined this forum...you've got some promising photos on Flickr but that said the are also a fair number that have flaws not always massive ones but they are there....

As said mate, I am a learner and keen to learn. I've only had my camera since spring and I think I can see an improvement since then. I do realise I have a lot to learn tho. (y)

I've avoided this thread up till now... but seeing as you seem reasonable and have time...

I would say there are two things you need to learn. Exposure and Flash exposure...

Time permitting I'd say learn to use full manual exposure (mode) first. Many suggest you learn the various other modes first, but I personally think that really slows down the process. As part of this you'll have to learn about metering modes and exposure compensation.

After this you have flash exposure to mix in... If you are entirely dependent on natural light you'll have problems. Of course this means some form of TTL speedlight and learning about bouncing/bounce panels...

I would be shooting in Aperture priority with TTL flash and matrix metering most likely..... so the end goal would be to become proficient with that. If you can get to that point you should be able to do a decent job at any event with even the most basic DSLR/Flash.

I was in this situation once, it turned out great!

The best thing I did was to go to the venue beforehand and figure out what was what.

Seriously though, with a year you've plenty of time - best advice is to get out there and shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

Will be going there soon to check it out mate. That was the first thing I told them I would need to do. Cheers. (y)

I've avoided this thread up till now... but seeing as you seem reasonable and have time...

I would say there are two things you need to learn. Exposure and Flash exposure...

Time permitting I'd say learn to use full manual exposure (mode) first. Many suggest you learn the various other modes first, but I personally think that really slows down the process. As part of this you'll have to learn about metering modes and exposure compensation.

After this you have flash exposure to mix in... If you are entirely dependent on natural light you'll have problems. Of course this means some form of TTL speedlight and learning about bouncing/bounce panels...

I would be shooting in Aperture priority with TTL flash and matrix metering most likely..... so the end goal would be to become proficient with that. If you can get to that point you should be able to do a decent job at any event with even the most basic DSLR/Flash.

Was going to get a flash mate. My plan so far is to save and get a 5Dmk1 with a F1.8 50mm and flash. I already have a tripod. Just need lots of practice and guidance. :)

So far you have received some great advice on how to take pictures, Mikes comments in particular. I just wanted to add a couple of things.

Firstly when you first post something, if you explain the situation fully, you may avoid any negativity. For me personally when I saw your post saying going and search my flickr, I was a bit taken aback, however if you had explained in the first that you didn't know how to insert links, you would have avoided the "just put a link" comments and accusations or arrogance. Likewise if you said that you had been given no choice but to shoot the wedding and that it was next year people probably wouldn't have said don't do it.

As to your question about equipment, what you will need to think about is what pictures you will need to take. Ie group shots, for this you will probably want something wide, so probably something in the 24-70 or 24-105 (I'm assuming you end up with full frame (5d) ) you will also need something for close ups, so either 70-200or 70-300. The second thing you will need to consider is the available light and whether you can use flash. Most venues wont allow flash during the ceremony which means you will need a lens with a large aperture to let more light in. Typically F2.8 for a zoom or F1.4/1.8 for fixed focal lengths. The 50mm is a great lens for the price but you may find it a bit restrictive due to space availability. Oh and don't forget you can always hire equipment. So don't feel you need to spend £000's on the best Canon L lenses. The most important thing is enjoy the process of learning and use the people on here. You will learn that the comments are there to help and nothing is ever made as a personal attack.

Last edited:
Easy answer is to practise again again and again, see what you are doing wrong and try again.

Was going to get a flash mate. My plan so far is to save and get a 5Dmk1 with a F1.8 50mm and flash. I already have a tripod. Just need lots of practice and guidance. :)

If you are good w/ the flash, and you are allowed to use it (or don't need it), then I wouldn't worry much about a f/ 1.x lens... I'd want the versatility of a zoom more. If I had to use a fast prime it probably wouldn't be a 50mm on FF, not for the ceremony...

I only use 3 primes. An 85 f/1.4 Zeiss, 150 f/2.8 Macro, 400mm f/2.8... and the first two get very little use. I've owned many others of all different FL's over the years but these are the only ones that have stayed w/ me.

Firstly when you first post something, if you explain the situation fully, you may avoid any negativity. For me personally when I saw your post saying going and search my flickr, I was a bit taken aback, however if you had explained in the first that you didn't know how to insert links, you would have avoided the "just put a link" comments and accusations or arrogance. Likewise if you said that you had been given no choice but to shoot the wedding and that it was next year people probably wouldn't have said don't do it.

Well said, with all the information I know I would have replied slightly differently. Having over a year to prepare makes it a possibility, though it will be a lot of work to get the photography element sorted, and get used to the gear. Once the gear has been chosen and acquired. ;) Can't accuse the OP of not preparing this far in advance though. ;) :LOL:

With regards to gear choices, a budget will be a bit more information to enable people to try and help the OP to make the best choices. No good advising gear the OP may not be able to afford because that leaves a doubt that one may not have the very best gear, which they may not, but the very best gear has to fit in what one can afford. As ChrisHeathcote said though, hiring gear is always a cost effective option to add to the core gear that is bought.

Tbh I didn't want people to know the event because of the negativity surrounding my last thread. Just wanted people to advise me on improving my camera skills. I thank the people that have taken the time to help me and I will take it all on board. :)

So far I've learnt that I need a new camera and lens and I need a lot of practice. Any more advice on camera/lens would be most appreciated. :)

So far I've learnt that I need a new camera and lens and I need a lot of practice. Any more advice on camera/lens would be most appreciated. :)

As you know Richard, I dont think there was any more negativity in the last thread than this one, I just think you are, shall I say, 'more aquainted' with forum ways now ;)

As for kit, I am afraid I would struggle to advise on specifics as I use Nikon gear. However, as some have already mentioned, it would be advisable to have a 2nd body, a couple of fast lenses, at least f2.8, or even faster if possible, a short one and something a little longer and at least one flash gun. However, before you splash out on these, remember there is the option to hire some of these for the day [and beforehand if you can justify it, for some practice], as it would be huge expense to buy everything. Pretty sure the Canon users can offer advice on particular pieces of equipment you should be looking to actually invest in.

Yes, also agree, lots and lots of practice, until your family and friends are fed up to the back teeth of you pointing a camera at them! Get out and take photos in good weather, bad weather, any weather. Take photos indoors, in big rooms, small rooms, crowded rooms, anywhere that might replicate the kind of conditions you are likely to come across at a wedding.

Finally, post those photos here, explain what and why you were doing them and ask people to advise on how to improve each based on that criteria. Not everyone that reads your photo sharing threads wil have seen this one, so you might find yourself having to repeat stuff, but that is the cost of your learning curve. The more information you give on what you were doing, why and what you hoped to achieve, the more specific the advice offered can be to help move along.

Finally, whilst doing all this, learn to 'see' a photo, take on board any advice about composition and how you have 'put the picture together, until it becomes 2nd nature to you. Watch the backgrounds, it is very easy to get them overly cluttered when a slight adjustment could have got rid of most of it.

Best of luck, with a year to practice, you will hopefully have a great day and a happy couple (y)

As you know Richard, I dont think there was any more negativity in the last thread than this one, I just think you are, shall I say, 'more aquainted' with forum ways now ;)

As for kit, I am afraid I would struggle to advise on specifics as I use Nikon gear. However, as some have already mentioned, it would be advisable to have a 2nd body, a couple of fast lenses, at least f2.8, or even faster if possible, a short one and something a little longer and at least one flash gun. However, before you splash out on these, remember there is the option to hire some of these for the day [and beforehand if you can justify it, for some practice], as it would be huge expense to buy everything. Pretty sure the Canon users can offer advice on particular pieces of equipment you should be looking to actually invest in.

Yes, also agree, lots and lots of practice, until your family and friends are fed up to the back teeth of you pointing a camera at them! Get out and take photos in good weather, bad weather, any weather. Take photos indoors, in big rooms, small rooms, crowded rooms, anywhere that might replicate the kind of conditions you are likely to come across at a wedding.

Finally, post those photos here, explain what and why you were doing them and ask people to advise on how to improve each based on that criteria. Not everyone that reads your photo sharing threads wil have seen this one, so you might find yourself having to repeat stuff, but that is the cost of your learning curve. The more information you give on what you were doing, why and what you hoped to achieve, the more specific the advice offered can be to help move along.

Finally, whilst doing all this, learn to 'see' a photo, take on board any advice about composition and how you have 'put the picture together, until it becomes 2nd nature to you. Watch the backgrounds, it is very easy to get them overly cluttered when a slight adjustment could have got rid of most of it.

Best of luck, with a year to practice, you will hopefully have a great day and a happy couple (y)

All this plus how much your looking to spend on some new kit would also be a useful thing to know...as I depending on budget there is a vast range of options

Thank you. :)

Tbh I didn't want people to know the event because of the negativity surrounding my last thread. Just wanted people to advise me on improving my camera skills. I thank the people that have taken the time to help me and I will take it all on board. :)

Completely understand, because sometimes the mention of I am "shooting a wedding " can raise a backlash, however if you tea between the lines of what is said it is normally meant with the best of intentions. However as redhed17 (sorry couldn't see your name on your profile) given the amount of time involved, at least you are giving yourself a chance, normally we see "I am doing a wedding next month what setting do I use" and so forth. As has already any advice is dependant on what occasion it is for. The only way to improve is by exposing ourselves to and listening to constructive criticism of people better than ourselves. The only thing I sometimes get frustrated by is when asking for feedback and not getting any or unhelpful criticism.
It is worth considering as well that if you can please a fellow photographer, then clients are going to be over the moon, as we are more critical of things like noise, slight under or overexposure than them.

Just one thing to add...there are not many photos out there now that haven't had some kind of processing done on them, be it lifting shadows, sharpening, selective sharpening, adding blur...the list goes on and on so get yourself used to programs like Photoshop or Lightroom or try Photoshop elements which has more guided processing.

There is ALWAYS a choice! They may be tough choices... but they are always there!
OK... so you have a year to get your kit up to scratch, and get your know-how clued in for the gig.... and you don't want to make the other call....
Hmmm... its do-able... BUT, seriously, with quarter of a century of snapping to my shame... I would NOT be taking on this job! The nievity of inexperience and not knowing what is or isn't possible, might occasionally push back boundaries...... but no! I still wouldn't take this job!
The world of the Wedding-Photographer is a specialty-job. And as they will all tell you, only a tenth of it is anything to do with using a Camera!
I did my C&G in photography with a chap who was a wedding photographer; been at it twenty years, and I had to ask WHY with all that time in the business he was doing an entry level course! His answer was that he enjoyed photography, but for twenty years, as far as cameras were concerned, he used three apertures, two lenses, and adjusted to light levels on the shutter speed, meaning he maybe used about five or six; then as he put it, he 'Shot to Script' taking the same pictures five times a day three days a week, only the faces changed!
I cant remember who it was who said it, I think in another thread; biggest 'skill' in Wedding Photography is 'People Management'... direct quote "Its like Herding Cats"
With enough reading, and enough practice, getting the 'set-shots' shouldn't be too big a deal; like I said, that fellow student twenty odd years ago shot to script; the set-ups and settings were all pretty much standard, lighting was all pretty much standard, it was just a case of measuring levels on the day and nudging notches.
Candids are a bit trickier, as the settings are uncontrolled, the subjects uncontrolled, and its a matter of being fast to capture that moment, and I suspect that the expectation will be for large numbers of Candids, these days.
BUT, and this is the biggest reason I wouldn't dream of doing wedding photography, ESPECIALLY for some-one I knew.
BEER
Its a party. Are you staff or guest? Remember, biggest bit of the job is herding cats. If you are 'familiar' with the guests, ARE they going to take you seriously and do as you ask, when you are trying to pose the set-shots? WILL that cheeky chappy or dizzy darling take any damn notice when you ask them to get the heck out of a shot they aren't wanted in? Will you get sluffed off, when you try getting Mother of the Bride to her place when she's nattering with Cousin Margeret she hasn't seen in twenty years and is telling you she'll be there in a minute? And if you DO will you ever hear the last of it? Then when you are doing the candids...
Pro-Wedding tog, no-one knows, when he sidles up to a guest table... folk wont take any notice, or will automatically pose for his camera...
If they know you? "Chad get that effing camera out of my face!" or "For gawdsake put that down and sit down and eat your dinner!" or they will start larking about, acting up for, rather than posing for the camera.
A contracted in Pro has a very high degree of 'detatchment' from the party and the guests. They are firmly 'STAFF' and utterly neutral. They can keep thier mind on the job, and the guests respect the 'hat', because they know what they are and what they are doing.
The 'Freind' may, where they are more familiar, MIGHT get some more insightful candids; but a good pro will instinctively be looking for them any way, and probably have an easier time getting them.
THEN, when its all over, that 'detatchement' remains. Prom goes home, sorts the snaps, parcels up an album and a CD, pops it in the post. Family like or dont, he never has to hear from them again.
You? What you going to get, and for how long. How are you going to feel when you sit there going through the pictures with the Bride and she's obviously under whelmed by them? Or when MiL starts moaning that there's more pics of Brides mum than her, or that you didn't get any of cousin Kenny? Or that the picture you took of Grandma Joan makes her look like a beached whale in a bathing suit... etc etc etc.
You have NO 'detatchement', no seperation for protection; and any resentment can go on for YEARS and really harm relationships you might value.
THIS IS NOT ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY
This is about avoiding dissapointment, for the Bride, for her family AND for you.
Its SH!T you can probably really do without! And THAT is what makes a Pro in so MANY jobs worth thier fee, and some!
Jeez! Ten years ago, I was asked by now ex-wife's brother to fix the brakes on his car for its MOT! He supplied the parts... the wrong ones... then moaned when he had to buy the correct bits, and nagged and whinged and accused me of 'breaking stuff' when siezed bolts sheared or had to be drilled out.... THEN.... when five months later, his tyres went out of balence, and he'd not checked his wheel-nuts after I had told him all the bolts would have to be checked after a week to make sure they had taken torque... I was blamed for not tightening anything up... and ten years later... having divorced his sister seven years ago... I'M STILL getting the crap for 'doing a favour'!!!
This is the kind of thing its about, and that needs probably more thought than what f-stops might be most suitable!
As my Grandmother was fond of saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intensions"
You might like the idea of doing this girls wedding; its very flattering to be asked; she might like the idea of you doing her wedding, for any number of reasons... BUT; its no simple gig, by a long shot, and potential ramifications, back-lash and problems are far more wide-reaching than whether your camera's battery will last the day!
I really, REALLY would think long and hard, about this one, and personally, I would rather PAY for a pro to do it for her, than take the job on. I REALLY would.
Then I could sit back, enjoy my beer, and IF I took my camera, and IF I got any half decent pics with it... well, that's 'bonus' for all.

Last edited:
Just one thing to add...there are not many photos out there now that haven't had some kind of processing done on them, be it lifting shadows, sharpening, selective sharpening, adding blur...the list goes on and on so get yourself used to programs like Photoshop or Lightroom or try Photoshop elements which has more guided processing.

I do have Lightroom mate. I'm trying to learn that too. :)

There is ALWAYS a choice! They may be tough choices... but they are always there!
OK... so you have a year to get your kit up to scratch, and get your know-how clued in for the gig.... and you don't want to make the other call....
Hmmm... its do-able... BUT, seriously, with quarter of a century of snapping to my shame... I would NOT be taking on this job! The nievity of inexperience and not knowing what is or isn't possible, might occasionally push back boundaries...... but no! I still wouldn't take this job!
The world of the Wedding-Photographer is a specialty-job. And as they will all tell you, only a tenth of it is anything to do with using a Camera!
I did my C&G in photography with a chap who was a wedding photographer; been at it twenty years, and I had to ask WHY with all that time in the business he was doing an entry level course! His answer was that he enjoyed photography, but for twenty years, as far as cameras were concerned, he used three apertures, two lenses, and adjusted to light levels on the shutter speed, meaning he maybe used about five or six; then as he put it, he 'Shot to Script' taking the same pictures five times a day three days a week, only the faces changed!
I cant remember who it was who said it, I think in another thread; biggest 'skill' in Wedding Photography is 'People Management'... direct quote "Its like Herding Cats"
With enough reading, and enough practice, getting the 'set-shots' shouldn't be too big a deal; like I said, that fellow student twenty odd years ago shot to script; the set-ups and settings were all pretty much standard, lighting was all pretty much standard, it was just a case of measuring levels on the day and nudging notches.
Candids are a bit trickier, as the settings are uncontrolled, the subjects uncontrolled, and its a matter of being fast to capture that moment, and I suspect that the expectation will be for large numbers of Candids, these days.
BUT, and this is the biggest reason I wouldn't dream of doing wedding photography, ESPECIALLY for some-one I knew.
BEER
Its a party. Are you staff or guest? Remember, biggest bit of the job is herding cats. If you are 'familiar' with the guests, ARE they going to take you seriously and do as you ask, when you are trying to pose the set-shots? WILL that cheeky chappy or dizzy darling take any damn notice when you ask them to get the heck out of a shot they aren't wanted in? Will you get sluffed off, when you try getting Mother of the Bride to her place when she's nattering with Cousin Margeret she hasn't seen in twenty years and is telling you she'll be there in a minute? And if you DO will you ever hear the last of it? Then when you are doing the candids...
Pro-Wedding tog, no-one knows, when he sidles up to a guest table... folk wont take any notice, or will automatically pose for his camera...
If they know you? "Chad get that effing camera out of my face!" or "For gawdsake put that down and sit down and eat your dinner!" or they will start larking about, acting up for, rather than posing for the camera.
A contracted in Pro has a very high degree of 'detatchment' from the party and the guests. They are firmly 'STAFF' and utterly neutral. They can keep thier mind on the job, and the guests respect the 'hat', because they know what they are and what they are doing.
The 'Freind' may, where they are more familiar, MIGHT get some more insightful candids; but a good pro will instinctively be looking for them any way, and probably have an easier time getting them.
THEN, when its all over, that 'detatchement' remains. Prom goes home, sorts the snaps, parcels up an album and a CD, pops it in the post. Family like or dont, he never has to hear from them again.
You? What you going to get, and for how long. How are you going to feel when you sit there going through the pictures with the Bride and she's obviously under whelmed by them? Or when MiL starts moaning that there's more pics of Brides mum than her, or that you didn't get any of cousin Kenny? Or that the picture you took of Grandma Joan makes her look like a beached whale in a bathing suit... etc etc etc.
You have NO 'detatchement', no seperation for protection; and any resentment can go on for YEARS and really harm relationships you might value.
THIS IS NOT ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY
This is about avoiding dissapointment, for the Bride, for her family AND for you.
Its SH!T you can probably really do without! And THAT is what makes a Pro in so MANY jobs worth thier fee, and some!
Jeez! Ten years ago, I was asked by now ex-wife's brother to fix the brakes on his car for its MOT! He supplied the parts... the wrong ones... then moaned when he had to buy the correct bits, and nagged and whinged and accused me of 'breaking stuff' when siezed bolts sheared or had to be drilled out.... THEN.... when five months later, his tyres went out of balence, and he'd not checked his wheel-nuts after I had told him all the bolts would have to be checked after a week to make sure they had taken torque... I was blamed for not tightening anything up... and ten years later... having divorced his sister seven years ago... I'M STILL getting the crap for 'doing a favour'!!!
This is the kind of thing its about, and that needs probably more thought than what f-stops might be most suitable!
As my Grandmother was fond of saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intensions"
You might like the idea of doing this girls wedding; its very flattering to be asked; she might like the idea of you doing her wedding, for any number of reasons... BUT; its no simple gig, by a long shot, and potential ramifications, back-lash and problems are far more wide-reaching than whether your camera's battery will last the day!
I really, REALLY would think long and hard, about this one, and personally, I would rather PAY for a pro to do it for her, than take the job on. I REALLY would.
Then I could sit back, enjoy my beer, and IF I took my camera, and IF I got any half decent pics with it... well, that's 'bonus' for all.

Cheers matey. I have been giving it a lot of thought, and I have tried to talk my way out. But she loves my photos and really wants me to do it. So I'm doing my absolute best not to fail. :)

Basics?
No complicated Jargon?
OK... forget the frigging camera. Its a box, catches light. You point it and press a button. You don't need to know a damn thing about lenses, f-stops, shutter speeds, bokah, ISO settings, sensor sizes, mega-pixels; focas points, depth of focus, hyper focus of folk music.... to take a GOOD PICTURE....

You need a good EYE!

Good Photographers take Good Photo's not good cameras; better cameras dont = better pictures.

In the hands of some-one who cant 'see' a good picture, they can have the 'best' camera in the shop, they still wont see the 'better' picture.

In the hands of some-one with the 'eye'? Well, they'll get that picture whether they are holding a cruddy camera-phone or top of the range Leica, and the better CAMERA will add little to what the capture.

Best 'advice'...

Put the camera down for a minute LOOK around you.
- What is there to see.
- Whats interesting
- What's big?
- What's Small?
- What's bright?
- What's Dark?
- Whats tidy?
- What's Messy?
- What catches your eye?
- What do you 'miss'... look hard... find what other people over-look.

NOW pick up the camera, and look at the scene around you again, through the lens. If you have a zoom, set it wide, and MOVE it around. DONT stick the focus spot on the first thing that catches your eye and press the button.

Move the camera, take in everything beyond the framing boarders.

Now put the center spot BACK on what interests you.... STILL dont press the button!

Turn the camera through 90 degrees from horezontal oblong 'Landscape' frame, to vertical oblong, 'Portrait' frame... And do ANOTHER sweep beyond the framing boarders...

Happy you know whats going on in your scene and you have a 'good' composition?

Tempted to zoom in? DONT! Take a step or two towards your subject... now look around again!

Better? Yeah... but JUST to be sure... take a step to your left, look again.

Hmm... and step to the right? ... Lets Do the time warp aga-ay-ya-ain!... oh... sorry eighties flash-back moment!... err... yeah.. well, getting there, but JUST for the sake of it, since I'm not going to let you press that damn shutter, just sit down a second..... ooooh! Isn't THAT a difference! What does it look like from down there?

Take a GOOD LONG LOOK around, up-down; left; right, forwards; backwards; everywhere. Before you look at the camera, and then after looking at its view-finder.

THEN when you are SURE you have got your picture....

CHECK your frame.

You will stick your subject slap in the center and click the button. DONT.

JUST before you click... look at the corners. Go through the trinaty;
"North-south, east-west, check the corners, then the rest."
and JUST make sure that you know whats in your frame, and you haven't got some-one in a hi-viz jacket lurking in the corner, or a Dynorod van roof in the bottom!

Re-Frame if necessary.

THEN press your button.

THATS IT... that is ALL the camera tech you need to be getting on with and getting great photo's!

LOOK and LOOK HARD. And just press the button!

Modern cameras are FULL of very sophisticated program electronics, that is what you have paid for when you bought it, USE IT!

Your camera probably knows a damn site more about the exposure triangle, the ambient light levels; available apertures, appropriate shutter speeds, best ISO settings, ideal focus points and all that 'stuff' than you do... it knows SOD ALL about what you are LOOKING AT!

So let the camera worry about the stuff it knows best; YOU worry about the stuff YOU know most about.... what you can SEE.

99% of a photo is in the eye that sees it. So Learn to LOOK.

Has to be one of the best posts I've read on here!(y)

Back