Battery hens

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
No
After a few years of thinking about it we are finally going to take in a few battery hens. Thinking 3 to start with.

I'm sure a few of you on here must have chickens. Would you be willing to share any tips/ your set up? Obviously I've researched, read several sets of FAQs on various rescue sites but you can't beat real life experience.

They will have access to our garden and also a large fenced off section of paddock that has a polytunnel and grassy area.

Do they produce AA and AAA :D:love:

Try and build their run/coop to keep foxes out, not just chickens in.
My next-door neighbours didn't, and they lost the lot.
Worse, it happened the night before they sent their visiting grandson out to choose his breakfast boiled egg...

Also, expect rats; they're suckers for free warmth/board/food.

Lock them up at night or the foxes WILL get them.

They need a fox-proof coop and you simply cannot forget to lock it or a fox will kill them all. Fences don't work these things are more like cats.

Back in the days when my parents used to keep chickens it wasn't unknown for a fox to kill 30 chickens in one go and just leave them all there dead.

As said, foxes, foxes and more foxes. I have one comes through the garden regularly at night and early morning and lost my last larger chickens because the snow damaged the netting on the roof of their run. Have Runner Ducks now and they are shut in a box at night.
Having said that, I have kept Black Rosecomb Bantams (a true bantam) for years living wild in the garden and roosting in a thorn tree at night without loss to fox (other than one that was sitting out on a clutch) because they always went up very early and when still light came down very late when really light. I eventually lost a lot to, I think, a Tawny Owl(s) after my brother pruned to top of the tree to “get more sun” :mad:

Anyway, go for it, keeping little dinosaurs is fun but the best is to have cockerels too ;)

... but the best is to have cockerels too ;)

That brought back bad memories of my days in Timor Leste when I had one roosting in a tree outside my window... Crowed regularly throughout the night and I had bugger all sleep for 6 months. [emoji54]

I have been offered a free eglu on the condition that we take someone's last remaining chicken too so hopefully picking that up this week. It has fox proofing.

I have been offered a free eglu on the condition that we take someone's last remaining chicken too so hopefully picking that up this week. It has fox proofing.

They're great, the Eglus. Neighbour has one. :)
I was raised on a chicken farm in the Peak District. :)

They're great, the Eglus. Neighbour has one. :)
I was raised on a chicken farm in the Peak District. :)
Can't quite believe a stranger is giving me one for free. She is refusing to take any money as long as I take the old chicken and give her company.

For something so small they are surprisingly destructive. I'd advise keeping them in the paddock area rather than the garden or they will scratch up everything. Ex battery hens will arrive in quite a state. At this time of year it's worth getting them chicken coats to give them a bit of protection from the bad weather until their feathers grow back. We have 2 ex free range chickens that are running around in pink high vis at the moment until their feathers grow in.

That brought back bad memories of my days in Timor Leste when I had one roosting in a tree outside my window... Crowed regularly throughout the night and I had bugger all sleep for 6 months. [emoji54]
Haha, though my Black Rosecomb are very small (pigeon sized) and don’t have anything like the bellow of a large breed cock, though it does carry. They don’t crow at night unless disturbed. If the wheat runs out the cocks come and crow at the back door. You can only see their very interesting range of calls and behaviour by keeping cocks and hens and letting them raise their own chicks, all of which have a death wish of course:( . The cocks are quite scrappy ;) .
When I got my first trio I showed them where they were supposed to sleep but couldn’t find them in the morning until they turned up ensconced on some high shelves in the dining room — obviously they were used to a hut with wide perches.

Kept chickens for 5+ years now, we don’t lock them in coop but have electric poultry fence and have zero fox problems. I have seen foxes coming me up to the fence get a buzz and run off the quickest you will ever see a fox move..

Things you may not have thought about are when/if hen takes ill. You will struggle to find a vet so a lot of the time you will have sort it yourself, this can sometimes sadly lead to the dispatching of hen.

Don’t be put off though they are awesome to keep and best eggs ever.

Our neighbours and the rear lanes are full of foxes where I live but they all seem to avoid our garden for some strange reason...

Our neighbours and the rear lanes are full of foxes where I live but they all seem to avoid our garden for some strange reason...
Does your avatar give a clue to this? I don’t get them in the daytime, because Terrier, and Beagles in the past, but the night is a different story, usually just passing through on the lookout.

Does your avatar give a clue to this? I don’t get them in the daytime, because Terrier, and Beagles in the past, but the night is a different story, usually just passing through on the lookout.

Aye! But I'm sure we will probably still get the odd one at night.

As others have said - keep foxes out. Ours have had the complete run of the garden (not any more) but they are locked away at night. Ours are now in a 6x4 shed as I find that so much easier to muck out. A traditional house (usually) involves lots of contorting to get the damn thing clean and my back/knees were suffering badly. I'm an old fart though. Lino floored (then covered in woodchip) shed floor with a snow shovel to clear. Chicken muck makes great compost. Seriously. It's fab.

Watch out for red mites in the spring/summer. They will make a bird very poorly and are quite common - esp if it's warm (look for a faded comb). You may not have this problem if it's a plastic house though. We've found Ficam W to be a super anti-bug solution but it's horrible stuff so protect yourself if you use it. (I mix with water then use a dustpan brush to apply/get in cracks whilst gloved, goggled and overall'ed)

Marmite on toast is a nice treat and it's fun to watch them all rugby-scrumming about to get the one piece. We mix oyster grit in with the regular pellets if the egg shells seem weak/thin and have a bag of corn mixed with sunflower seeds as a daily handful treat. I got my birds hand feeding (or palm pecking!) with sunflower seeds but they're expensive which is why I mix with regular corn.

They'll destroy anything precious. They'll also destroy weeds. they'll scrut soil onto your paths, make dust baths in your tree roots, crap everywhere, jump into hanging baskets and scoff your pansies. We had one that would come in through the cat flap and I had to build a gate for the patio doors to stop them coming in the house. A dedicated area for them is best unless you want an area clear of weeds. They love dandelions!

Dispatching is Not Fun. We use the broom handle method (Google it) as it's 100% effective and very quick. Signs to look out for are lethargy, not running for treats, weight loss, faded comb etc. BackyardChickens.com has been a fab resource for us. For me - it's gotten harder to do over time and unless you're prepared to pay vet fees it's part of keeping them. We have Baytril in the fridge which we always try first as we've found that to be a wonder drug, but if that doesn't work.... :(

I've given our hens a "bus shelter" which is basically an open sided area (4ft square) with a roof that they all get under when it's raining. They prefer that to going in the house. I've also given them a dedicated dust bath area but they ignore it and go for the tree roots and in the bus shelter - as it's always dry. Dust bathing birds are happy birds. Also, they like to sunbathe and they look dead when they do it (laid down, a wing spread out) so don't panic.

We don't wing clip. Now that we've always got permanent residents, any newbies just follow the boss (Hilda - age 9) and go to bed where they should. But they can easily jump 4-6 feet with unclipped wings so be careful putting things like easy-to-get-on-top-of housing near the fence (for example). There can be up to a week or two of quite savage hen pecking when you get new birds all together as they establish who's in charge. It does settle down. My wife has tried everything to prevent it (including segregation) but nothing worked for us. Let nature run its course. We've had some birds join and be settled in a day, others have taken a couple of weeks. No set pattern. Watch out for feather pecking. There are a number of things that can cause it, but my wife got anti-feather pecking spray and we got vitamin supplements for the water and a powder for the food (forget what it was called now) which did the trick.

Watch the poly tunnel. If they see something interesting the other side, they may jump, scratch and tear. Tear becomes a rip, rip becomes a hole, then bye bye seedlings.

Sorry. Massive missive. Got a bit carried away :)

+1 for the “bus shelter” — I have a plastic roof and 3 sides raised off the ground inside a netting run and they stay very healthy and seldom get mites because there is nowhere for the little buggers to lurk 8 think. My Bantams that live wild have never had mites.
Regarding, dispatching - maybe it’s obvious but I always take the”victim” out of sight of the others, hens may seem stupid but they are not that stupid. A family member dispatched a cockerel in front of some hens and they always ran and hid when he went near them whereas they were perfectly OK with me.

Our coop is a Ketter playhouse I converted. put on breeze blocks so they shelter underneath which works well.

Try to think about how many you will want to keep, get a coop for 12 hens and only keep 2 they will not be happy as they need the closeness at night when they cannot see so well.

Introducuing new hens can be a pain if the ratio is off so adding 1 to 4 will be hard so really do think about how many you want to keep. We usually add one number up or down for eg 3 to 4.

Update. We are getting the lone chicken and Eglu. Hopefully picking her up in the next week along with the Eglu which just needs to be dismantled. We'll then add the 3 ex-battery hens a week or so later.

Lots of very useful advice to absorb.

As far as dispatching goes, that's one of the things that has always made me hesitant about getting hens. I am a believer in putting something out of its misery and not making it suffer so when the time comes then i'm just going to have to get on with it.

The Eglu looks great. The current owner said she kept 4 in it at a time and it was perfect for them all at night.

Looking into fox fencing at the moment, that will also help us keep them in the messy part of the garden where there's lot of bark. It's an area that's a real pain to weed.

Jackets - my husband laughed at me when I suggested it! I am hoping to make my own though.

Thanks for all the tips.

Sometimes dispatching is superfluous. Although I like getting the eggs I also keep hens for interest and so the get old an lay only occasionally. I have found with regular hens that they seem perfectly fit but then get “forgetful” for a couple days and just turn up dead in the morning. “Forgetful” is a term I picked from a now retired farmer friend who has kept hens commercially all his life but recognised what I was describing to him.

They are great fun to photograph too and great vid with a GoPro

12631690175_ef73fc7cd1_b.jpg

Re: Fencing. One tip I followed was to lift the turf at the base of the fence and run the chicken wire down below and under it (away from the coop), laying the turf back on top. It'll stop anything digging under the fence. Although I find the best protection is just to make sure they're locked in at night. When a fox got ours, it went up the 6ft wooden panel fence (same as shown in the pic above) with a bird in its mouth. Very lucky to lose just the one bird.

I think we need pics of your final setup/newcomer when she arrives :)

Re: Fencing. One tip I followed was to lift the turf at the base of the fence and run the chicken wire down below and under it (away from the coop), laying the turf back on top. It'll stop anything digging under the fence. Although I find the best protection is just to make sure they're locked in at night. When a fox got ours, it went up the 6ft wooden panel fence (same as shown in the pic above) with a bird in its mouth. Very lucky to lose just the one bird.

I think we need pics of your final setup/newcomer when she arrives :)
Yes, running the wire out under the turf will help to stop rats too, though they seem to know how deep to go to bypass the wire :(

Assuming the eglu is actually coming with the wire run, it already has a 6 inch steel "skirt" which is foxproof enough, Ive actually stood from my patio window watching a fox be defeated by it.
When I did lose 4 hens it was because i thought I was being nice and building them a 15 foot by 15 foot run with 7 foot chicken wire panels all the way round, fox simply scrambled over the top and in :-( Since then the eglu has been brillliant.

The eglu itself is foxproof. The reason we are waiting for the solo hen is that the fox proofing needs dug out as it has been in the ground for several years.

I am thinking of the areas they will have access to during the day. I know foxes are generally out overnight but I have occasionally seen them during the day.

We pick eglu up tomorrow afternoon along with the solo hen. Looking forward to it.

I very rarely let them out of the eglu anymore, as long as they have food and water and something to do they are more than happy. Also, you don't need to bury the eglu edges / skirt, simply use some tent pegs to secure it to the ground.

I'll use tent pegs. I am hoping to move it around the barked area as I struggle to weed it as the weeds there are so stubborn.

We used to have hens, then one night a fox got in and killed 78, leaving just one who had gone off into a container to sit on her eggs. A few days later a fox got her too. And the fox that got into our hen enclosure dug over 4' down to get it - they're both capable and determined.

And when it comes to despatching, unless you have experience I strongly advise you to get someone experienced to teach you, there's nothing worse than doing it slowly and badly...

So far so good. We picked up the 3 ex-battery hens on Sunday and they've gradually been gaining their confidence every day. We've had 3 eggs now.

I now have grand plans for a walk in enclosure. The eglu is great but the long narrow run is a bit of a pain to access.

Photos will follow.

Back