Best of Kenya 2013

So we are back in Lewa for a few more weeks before we move on to pastures new and today I took my trusty Canon 70-200mm out for a play as both of my 100-400mm lenses are currently in the UK being serviced ahead of the new season.... I always forget how amazing this lens is! Doesn't have the reach of the 100-400mm but that just allowed me to brush up on my stalking skills a bit!

Cheetah relaxing in the long grass

View attachment 4659

Thanks, that young chap was taken at Lewa - he's the first cheetah on the conservancy to use vehicles as a vantage point! Some of my others are indeed taken in Amboseli - my girlfriend and I were managing six camps across Kenya but are now moving on to a brand new camp that will be geared up especially for photographers in an area totally unspoilt by tourism...

I'm assuming the location is still a secret?

Last edited:
I'm assuming the location is still a secret? Is it in Kenya?

Haha - it's not a secret - the lodge is called Lentorre Lodge, small and exclusive, and is based about 3 hours by road out of Nairobi on an old elephant trail between Amboseli and the Maasai Mara.... needless to say we have a good population of elephants! The conservancy also has over 60 lions and we have already identified three different leopard that drink from the waterhole in front of the lodge! The game is a little shy as they are still not used to seeing vehicles but the bird life is outstanding! It will be opening in April and I am planing on doing some discounted specials for photographers later in the season!

Haha - it's not a secret - the lodge is called Lentorre Lodge, small and exclusive, and is based about 3 hours by road out of Nairobi on an old elephant trail between Amboseli and the Maasai Mara.... needless to say we have a good population of elephants! The conservancy also has over 60 lions and we have already identified three different leopard that drink from the waterhole in front of the lodge! The game is a little shy as they are still not used to seeing vehicles but the bird life is outstanding! It will be opening in April and I am planing on doing some discounted specials for photographers later in the season!

Sounds good, I have a couple of mates that are self employed tour guides based in Nairobi and they might be interested as well as they offer photographic safaris. I'd be interested to see your rates in comparison to my usual lodge in the Mara. What are the park fees like where you'll be based? Are you near Shompole?

Sounds good, I have a couple of mates that are self employed tour guides based in Nairobi and they might be interested as well as they offer photographic safaris. I'd be interested to see your rates in comparison to my usual lodge in the Mara. What are the park fees like where you'll be based? Are you near Shompole?

We don't have park fees as we are in a conservancy - obviously we do have conservancy fees at US$50 per day (which goes straight to the community, rather than the government) but for this you get 60 000 acres of protected land to work with. Our lodge is based on the Olkirimatian Conservancy, which borders Shompole. Rates are currently being finalised but we are offering incentives for photographic safaris and special rates for private guides bringing their own groups.

If you like, drop me an email at geoff@lentorre.com and I can keep you updated on developments?

Nature as it should be, wild and free :clap:

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave

Stunning photography,please post some more would love to see more!!!!!

First class Geoff, especially the cheeta and rhino. Just been through some of your facebook shots too, class. We were in Tsavo and Amboseili this time 2 years ago, I WILL get back sometime soon:D

Back