Biggest Boo Boo so far

Wheels

Julian Keeler
Name
Julian
Edit My Images
No
Today my daughter went out to a theme park for her friends birthday, so my and mrs and son went out taking photos around Pennington flash, I decided to try taking photos in JPG as the full exif for some reason wont save when I shoot in raw.

I also changed the mode from P to A I have never taken as many bad pictures in my life too dark, my son and wife have walked all over me today with there photos proper gutted how they turned out. Also I left the focus and trigger cable from camera to platform at home so couldnt use the monitor.

I am not sure if they are so bad because of shooting in JPG instead of RAW or because I shot in A mode or a mixture of both.:bang::bang:

400 photos and a tiny % that I can use

Really silly question - You didn't have any form of +/- exposure dialled in did you? Not sure if you can do that in auto. Also, what metering did you use?

I am surprised that on A they came out dark.

This is totally unadjusted shown as taken

JDS_5553.jpg

Unless I'm reading Exif data wrong it was on Apature mode with -4/3 exposure comp?

doesn't look too bad, maybe a bit of fill flash is whats needed or it could be the metering, also are you viewing the pictures on a calibrated monitor?

:)

The other thing to check is that you have not inadvertently knocked the metering selector to spot or centre weighted metering, easily done, obviously I have never done it on my D300.
;) Worth checking.

Yeah exposure compensation is your problem. Just behind the shutter button there's a +/- switch. Turn that until the display shows 0 and you'll be fine.

It was a bright sunny day with a light grey cloud covering

You've got a lot of exposure adjustment dialed in, -1.33ev so you was always going to underexpose.

I'd suggest changing it to -0.33 (I've always found I've needed to underexpose what the meter recommends slightly on Nikons)

You've got spot metering turned on, its in the EXIF... as is -1.33ev.

That'll cock it up good and proper, if one doesnt get you, the other will.

:LOL::LOL:

Those damn Nikons!! A is def auto on my Canon!!

In that case Julian, forget all the rubbish I have just spouted!!!

:thinking: The little green square is auto. A is def Aperture Value (Prioity) on a Canon.

the exposer is 1/5000" is that a problem as well as the spot metering?

The D300s doesn't have "auto" or any kinda scene modes - its a pro camera...

Closest to auto is apparently Program mode - never used it personally.

The spot metering mode has caused it to calculate the exposure wrong AND you have a negative exposure compensation dialled in....

Spot metering is only for really specific circumstances...

The exposure time is that fast because of the compensation set in. On A setting you set the apature you want and the camera will pick the shutter speed for the desired settings you have made.

The exposure time is that fast because of the compensation set in. On A setting you set the apature you want and the camera will pick the shutter speed for the desired settings you have made.

Right Im with you, I will have another look at what settings its on now.

I have just reset the settings on it so fingers crossed, I wonder if its anything to do with the settings Simon kindly showed me when we were taking photos on that lizard, I dont think I changed it back from the zoo.

Different situations will require different setting's, welcome to the world of photography, all very confusing at times ............... lol.

Unless I'm reading Exif data wrong it was on Apature mode with -4/3 exposure comp?

You are!

It is minus 1.3 and on spot metering.. Which is why this is 1/5000 sec. The exposure bias adjusts the shutter speed...

Wheels, stick on to matrix metering and correct the exposure bias and you will be fine. I shoot Aperture Priority and Jpeg and no problems

Last edited:
You are!

It is minus 1.3 and on spot metering..

Wheels, stick on to matrix metering and correct the exposure bias and you will be fine. I shoot Aperture Priority and Jpeg and no problems

Thanks Simon, I am so gutted at how badly I did today.

Fix it in post :D

Seriously, do you have a copy of photoshop? The lowlights (err is that the right term?) are dead in places but I've had a look on photoshop and parts are definitely not as bad as they 1st appear.

But we all have bad shoots, plenty of them usually :D

You are!

It is minus 1.3 and on spot metering.. Which is why this is 1/5000 sec. The exposure bias adjusts the shutter speed...

So how did you know it was on -1.3?

its in the exif data

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D300S
Image Date: 2010:08:03 14:11:37
Focal Length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.0002 s (1/5000)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: -1.33 EV
Metering Mode: Spot

Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Photographer: WHEELS PHOTOS(C)
Copyright: WHEELS PHOTOS(C)

Ok Julian as you've got the edit box ticked I've come up with a crop which may help things, you'll even notice that the trees in the background are green again! I replaced your watermark as I cropped it out a little.. and I have blown the sky a little in recovering the trees, but considering I'm new to photoshop I think it's a reasonable effort?

JDS_5553-crop.jpg

Ok in all seriousness I was playing around to see if the data was there to recover the detail from the black bits and it was, but I have nowhere near enough skill, so some bits ended up distinctly odd when I did it. So I played around with a little cropped bit instead. I did also straighten the horizon and put the top of the lake bit at the top 1/3 line.

I played with saturation, curves, level, black level, contrast, exposure presets and pretty much everything else about 30 times, alas such is my inexperience.

he was posting an example of how it was under exposing not for critique pipe

its in the exif data

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D300S
Image Date: 2010:08:03 14:11:37
Focal Length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.0002 s (1/5000)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: -1.33 EV
Metering Mode: Spot

Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Photographer: WHEELS PHOTOS(C)
Copyright: WHEELS PHOTOS(C)

Doesnt say that in my Kuso Exif data :thinking:

Standard Information