Critique Bl**dy Owls

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Please don't talk to me about these orrible beastly birdz. It's not that I don't adore them of course :D It's just I've been led a merry dance so felt a need to even things up behind their backs as it were.:police:

He he bless 'em jeepers so close so many times anyway got an image for you ,poorly tracked so a crop top not width.

I've been trying for so long with the 1.4 ,but am so oft defeated by reach I've taken to bolting on the 2x until the light fails,this I so wish was with the 1.4 which tracks quicker especially as the light is going down. It's not so much this shot but what followed.

Anyway, usual fare 1div 300f2.8 extiii2X. We seem to be doing well of late, and as last year now have a few different barnies about,but the most heart warming is the one at home. It used to be wonderful: here a barnie hunting at the bottom of one's garden is a special thing,its cool to have repeated sightings in the last week .

This is one elsewhere whom along with some shorties I've been wanting for so long now ,my second real season with out really getting what ever it is Ii'm chasing. This is close to one of those images basically straight down the barrel wing tips just inside ff but no crop. shes slightly off and bless her for getting up again she/actually probably he ( I'llleave that one for those that know) actually killed hence tongue in cheeky title,

I find the hardest part of this wildlife togging lark is doing the ground work ,knowing I need to be somewhere on a certain day at a certain time and being at work ,that clash has been so hard with these amazing birds I'd love to really get to grips with. Things might open out with the clock change eve wise,We'll see. anyway thoughts crit fun all welcome:)
1/1000
f.5.6
iso2500

_70F5674 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers all the previous thoughts

stu

Never a easy subject ,it might be worth waiting till any babies are hatched as this extends there hunting into longer daytime hunts ,couple tips you might already know ,they don't like high winds or rain so don't waste time and fuel in those conditions

Never a easy subject ,it might be worth waiting till any babies are hatched as this extends there hunting into longer daytime hunts ,couple tips you might already know ,they don't like high winds or rain so don't waste time and fuel in those conditions

Very aware jeff,but always will appreciate someone taking their time to share hard won knowledge.

The recent rains have led to me getting so close to chances, of late,My reality though buddy is simply I have to take what I can get, time is killing me at the mo last year I had a breif window and shot some barnies jeff ,but was never really able to follow up,but I', close now with the one at home.
That;s exactly what I saw when they used to live here mate,the male used to hunt beside me right though the day I mean litterally all day . the rain I believe is a massive influence lesser the wind although I think you are correct their. We had some shorties hunting last week blowing a howler it was. but I fel the rain had forced them,this fella was shot in that very wind. He he bobbing about all over the shop. I don'tthink they care for it though mate.
Cheers for the tips buddy ,I'd always rather have someone say these tips,even if I know they might help another:)
Hi Stuart I am not an expert but love bird shots, I do like how you have caught the owl, but to me the sky looks too bright/pale :)

Dave thank you,frankly buddy I'm a bit unsure of this one ,part of the reason for posting for crit. It's also my best chance so far,hopefully another will come and i'll be better equipped,but I will go back and see if I can improve this Dave cheers mate value the thoughts I don't care how experienced buddy crit is good for both of us

take care both

Stu

That's a great shot Stu, one of my favourite POV's, flying at ya, looking down the lens (y)

I've done a quick edit, made some subtle changes, hopefully pulled a little more detail. I've done a little sharpening to the bird, lifted the shadows around the face and added a bit of brightness just to the eye area, bringing out the catch lights in the eyes. I've also dropped the blue sky a tad, making it darker and 25% NR over the whole shot. I'm guessing it was late afternoon/evening, clear blue sky but no sun?? I suppose its a bit subjective and down to how you saw it on the night :)

Stu, I'm no expert on Owls but they are up there with my most favoured thing to photograph. I've been on and off the Long and Short-eared for two years and the most important thing I've learn is, just when you think you have them sussed and a routine worked out, they do something completely different!!! ask Dave @Dave Semmens :p At the end of the day, its wildlife, its the uncertainty that keeps us going back.

Last year was even harder, no breeding because of a drop in vole population. The year before, once the chicks had hatched, not as bad but still could be unpredictable.

On 5 consecutive evenings, they would hunt the same field, make a kill and take the exact same route back to the plantation, not fazed by me at all. On the 6th night they would completely avoid the area I was in, if they made a kill and I was stood on the return route, they would fly 300 yrd around me in an arc just to avoid flying near me!!

My best shots have all come from being in the right place at the right time, a bit of luck, yes, but if I hadn't have been there, I wouldn't have got the shots and when they do come after all that time spent on them, it feels very rewarding. Most of the enjoyment comes from knowing how much hard work its been :)

I've just started back on the LEO's, no sightings as yet but I'm hoping the vole population picks up and and they breed this year

Here's the edit and as frustrating as it is, enjoy the owls mate (y)

32981382050_08a368d028_b.jpg

don't normally like posting pics in someone elses thread ,but heres one to encourage you stuart ,taken in yorkshire a few years ago a off the cuff shot as i was stalking a pheasant ,and sensed this flying over my head taken mid summer when they are obviously feeding there young
the evening meal by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

That's a great shot Stu, one of my favourite POV's, flying at ya, looking down the lens (y)

I've done a quick edit, made some subtle changes, hopefully pulled a little more detail. I've done a little sharpening to the bird, lifted the shadows around the face and added a bit of brightness just to the eye area, bringing out the catch lights in the eyes. I've also dropped the blue sky a tad, making it darker and 25% NR over the whole shot. I'm guessing it was late afternoon/evening, clear blue sky but no sun?? I suppose its a bit subjective and down to how you saw it on the night :)

Stu, I'm no expert on Owls but they are up there with my most favoured thing to photograph. I've been on and off the Long and Short-eared for two years and the most important thing I've learn is, just when you think you have them sussed and a routine worked out, they do something completely different!!! ask Dave @Dave Semmens :p At the end of the day, its wildlife, its the uncertainty that keeps us going back.

Last year was even harder, no breeding because of a drop in vole population. The year before, once the chicks had hatched, not as bad but still could be unpredictable.

On 5 consecutive evenings, they would hunt the same field, make a kill and take the exact same route back to the plantation, not fazed by me at all. On the 6th night they would completely avoid the area I was in, if they made a kill and I was stood on the return route, they would fly 300 yrd around me in an arc just to avoid flying near me!!

My best shots have all come from being in the right place at the right time, a bit of luck, yes, but if I hadn't have been there, I wouldn't have got the shots and when they do come after all that time spent on them, it feels very rewarding. Most of the enjoyment comes from knowing how much hard work its been :)

I've just started back on the LEO's, no sightings as yet but I'm hoping the vole population picks up and and they breed this year

View attachment 97564

Buddy much appreciation,bit pushed for time,quick post of monster grats, Desparate to get chores done so can go chase erm erm an ow...hare:D
Phil i'll come back need to stare a bit .I think it's worth sharing how a shot was come by Phil,I know we have both had a dance with them,but enthusiasm is untarnished .I'm really struggling with the hours worked mate,this is the worst time almost for me as for most of the winter I don't get any dalight in the week so by now I'm sort of chomping at the bit to get at the evening sessions here and there.

speak soon mate

thanks jeff

Stu

Just when you have them sussed I come along and scare them off ;)

I agree with the bl**dy Owls bit Stu - up at 2am and a 200+ mile round trip to watch 2 Barn Owls flying and fighting just out of camera reach in poor light today :( i had them filling the viewfinder last week but the light was again very poor. But it only takes one trip to get good light and an obliging owl to get the shot of a lifetime - so we keep coming back for more :)

A lovely capture Stu - Phil's edit improves on it - especially around the eyes.

Dave.

I am a bit obsessed with barn owls having now had three weeks straight getting a photo every day. I use a Sigma 150-600 or a Canon 300mmf4 with 1.4TC on a 7Dii in quiet mode. The one thing I don't use is my 1Div as I found the shutter noise scares them off so it is one shot at a time even at 600mm where as the 7Dii is so quiet they get real close and multiple shots.

The ones near me do come out at dawn but it is really hit or miss. The best time is really 1-1.5 hours before sunset and a proper guarantee if it rained the night and into the day before. Getting into some cover and wearing a peaked hat helps I wear a camo coat with a hood.

There are plenty of shots on my Flickr with probably another 500 plus not posted but all keepers all with exif on lens and focal length even some a sub 300mm and plenty at ISO12,800 from back in January. If you get out on a regular basis you should get more opportunities but guessing their routine is just that, but I am getting better at it.

The trouble is every time I get the shot I want I think of a new one. One of the owls on the patch I visit, very occasionally carries a vole in it's beak so my must have shot is it flying towards me just over the grass, vole in beak, down the lens stare, full frame and tonight's going to be the night, well I hope so.

Last edited:

View attachment 97564
Just when you have them sussed I come along and scare them off ;)

I agree with the bl**dy Owls bit Stu - up at 2am and a 200+ mile round trip to watch 2 Barn Owls flying and fighting just out of camera reach in poor light today :( i had them filling the viewfinder last week but the light was again very poor. But it only takes one trip to get good light and an obliging owl to get the shot of a lifetime - so we keep coming back for more :)

A lovely capture Stu - Phil's edit improves on it - especially around the eyes.

Dave.

'Ey up lads:) another shared passion Davey and Phil yours is already obvious to me;).No hares well ok just a few miles away, today,and I sadly missed,a lovely Roe shot hair of a second again,cor so close. Then we went for owls..... barnie was about still just missed out again same story I went where I wanted,worried for me lass started back got caught ouch,hey ho just ten yards it'll come

Phil very very grateful for the time taken to show me this as I am to Jeff actually for sticking his image in the mix, a cracking comparison tool for me as well as cool to view jeff ,def inspiring .. Phil I concur with Dave the face is markedly improved greatest is the lifting of the eyes mate,good stuff. Buddy cheers on the concise details of how,that is all I need while I can't access further !! This like many willl sit a while and one day hopefully i'll be able to revisit and squeeze more from what I have now.

Yes buddy late, on or abouts sunset might just be after can't place the light exactly Phil. If I'm right the sunset is being clobbered by what we affectionately term the cloud of death:D,the one that comes up right on the back of the horizon and spells the death knell for sunsets,:(

It's the usual story of sitting there waiting in stonking gorgeous light and the minute that goes bing owl appears,bless 'em,:banana: I concur mate I know where I have to be with these guys,I'm just not nailing it. It's wildlife it isn't given it IS the crack ,ahh but lads I could sit and watch owls hunt till the cows come home,it's something I'll never tire of. So it's never really in vein. One gets runs in wildlife yonks of nowt then effortlessly it all goes right then when you have got mildly confident here's a leveler:D,it is utterly expected

That sixth night has a reason,do't ask me what though bro ,but there is one.;) Phil, their world must be insane,imagine being able to see and hear like they can. I guess something utterly insignificant to us might be huge to them,but don't ask me why I dunno I'm as perplexed and in awe as you guys

Davey mate my utter admiration as always I wish the results had come especially after that kind if deadication I also again wish you were closer (both to me and your owls). Wish I could really get at them mate,time observing means alot in this game the more one can do the more likely to be in that magical right spot.

The one that has just appeared at home is a real joy I think I might have his barn pinned down but as with all this lark I wish is was just a bit easier sometimes for folks to get to their subjects,or simply the subjects were doing better here and were more widespread. Especially things like hares and owls which should really be on almost ever farm in blighty.

If I get a break now guys I could be very lucky i'm so so close inr eality I guess some of the images are quite nice,but I want a level or two up to need to be better and just a litle from lady luck
I am a bit obsessed with barn owls having now had three weeks straight getting a photo every day. I use a Sigma 150-600 or a Canon 300mmf4 with 1.4TC on a 7Dii in quiet mode. The one thing I don't use is my 1Div as I found the shutter noise scares them off so it is one shot at a time even at 600mm where as the 7Dii is so quiet they get real close and multiple shots.

The ones near me do come out at dawn but it is really hit or miss. The best time is really 1-1.5 hours before sunset and a proper guarantee if it rained the night and into the day before. Getting into some cover and wearing a peaked hat helps I wear a camo coat with a hood.

There are plenty of shots on my Flickr with probably another 500 plus not posted but all keepers all with exif on lens and focal length even some a sub 300mm and plenty at ISO12,800 from back in January. If you get out on a regular basis you should get more opportunities but guessing their routine is just that, but I am getting better at it.

The trouble is every time I get the shot I want I think of a new one. One of the owls on the patch I visit, very occasionally carries a vole in it's beak so my must have shot is it flying towards me just over the grass, vole in beak, down the lens stare, full frame and tonight's going to be the night, well I hope so.
Hi Martin cheers for the input,yes I've been watching your owls,with some admiration,ironically you would have more posts ,but as with this I keep falling asleep without posting and then don't realise when I come in from grafting next day .

Mate a really interesting thought on the shutter noise especially the 1Div which of course I use,sadly I have no choice,but this is something I have expected that the mark iv shutter is loud. I don't think it effects the owl pictured mate they have got pretty used to togs,but it's a point to bare in mind.

all the luck with the shot you want Martin I have more than a few on my wish list,,mainly though I want close and more detail and some blummin nice light to shoot under.

Martin I'll have to look into your higher iso shots ,hoping for a return visit tonight but weather is not looking good

many thanks all

Stu

I would have loved to get those settings yesterday but light was terrible when I saw a Barn owl, this is a great shot it has some lovely detail :D you have inspired me to get back out and try again (y)

I would have loved to get those settings yesterday but light was terrible when I saw a Barn owl, this is a great shot it has some lovely detail :D you have inspired me to get back out and try again (y)

Thanks Bryn,and mate all the luck in the world with yours. Do try to not get completely addicted like most, if not all, posters here;):D but if you do ,well I'm sure there are many who understand why.

Another blank tonight just as the hour approached so did the rain game overbut had to try. I think that is my highest shutter speed for weeks Bryn ,i've had a torrid time light wise of late,simply the hours I pull working don't leave many chances. But that is how it is for so many of us,we just try to make the best of it I guess,

Spring's coming the clocks will move so at least more eve chances might come for all

bring it on

stu

Hi Stu...i have Owls coming out of my ears at the moment plenty of watching this year ,just seemed to have lost my mojo for taking the camera with me .
Great to see mate ,do you know i photographed a barn owl last year ,and i could pick the exact time it would come out for its second run of the day ,it would do the same route again and again until it was sucessfull ....they are creatures of habit and they do like to stick to the schedule for you ....

lovely to hear from you Den,it's a good time for them I don't know how to get you inspired wit the camera buddy other than to say I have always admired your images. Maybe there is a shot you haven't found yet Den? Mate you must have a bewildering array and I can see how it might be tricky to find something new. and keep the lust for trying for that new image..Most of the images i long for I have seen you show here to a stunning level. Buddy,I'm sort of at a loss, as what might get your mojo back for the actual image making side. Mate I could sit with my darling all day watching them finding an image to make is the reason to take the camera.

Den in the old days the farmer adored owls, left places for them to hunt the new guy hasn't got this side of things sadly. We used to have one right here every day almost behind us he was a star Den. I must be the only guy who while gardening head in a compo bin had a barnie land besides me,bet I'd spooked a mouse,maybe he was curious who know?I jumped feet mate and in doing so scared him off,Ahh mate what an idiot. I used to watch him hunting for the kids for hours no hides or camo ,just we were good . I guess it's not every day a barn owl lands maybe 5 feet away with me 'ead stuck in a bin I was completely unaware so I could forgive myself but I always curse me.. I'd been stood with him for ages watching him hunt at midday,blew a special chance there Den

anyway rain weather allowing yes creatures that seem to be habitual although I feel these change through the seasons. Den are young lads checking out new territories right now? Last year one was here only briefly,this year it appears he's holed up somewhere close as we have seen him 3 times now,twice after dark..

My biggest prob Den is time I haven't got any thing like the FC base you have,but i've kicked around my patch a while now, It's driving me nuts not being able to try for what I know is here. Hey ho mate this shot is simply at the exact spot i've missed by minutes over and over here I'd been trying so much for reach that I got caught again, the 1.4 would have got me moree it's a start though kiddo :)

I'm chuffed first head on in decent range hard won

Can't complain we have hares a new barnie and god help me Den the LO's are here somewhere :rolleyes: Twice in the last week calling on or over the house,need some daylight now mate the old clocks will hurt but an hour will at least give me some chances in daylight;)

You'll find it bro(y)...mojo....;)

seeya

Stu

A good reply as always Stu...i have a pair of Tawny owls calling (and i have spotted the potential nest) just 30 metres from my front door ,i did think about setting up a woodland hide as i know they will be active soon but its just to dark for photography and i just cant get the motivation plus my Little owls at the quarry have paired up and they always make my day when i see them as i have not stopped visiting ,in fact i have not missed a day in years ,i think this year with the little owl i am going to go for the unusual shots as i do sit and watch them but only tended to go for the usual walking and flying shots and i used to miss some of the more intimate type shots that i ignore sometimes while i am waiting for them to fly etc ,i think this year i will try my luck to see what i can get ,plus i have a few people booked in for trying for shots ,just need a kick up the you know what to get me going ,i am sure it will get going again .

Den,it sounds like you don't need me old grey cells being racked,I feel you are there mate,intimate,especially two bird shots,showing behaviours etc are something i adore(soft old sod lmao:D. Can't wait to see what you get buddy I think this is very positive,ha ha a very gentle kick then mate;)

I KNOW you'll get going again:)

best always buddy all the luck

stu

Reactions: den
Back