Black Rapid RS-7 or Sun Sniper

Name
Mani
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I am off to do a bit of coastal walking next week and will have my camera lugging around my neck with a standard Canon strap. Has anyone used a Black Rapid RS7 or a Sun Sniper strap? I've been looking at both and the Sun Sniper seems to be slightly better and it has some form of anti theft device.
They both seem fit for purpose, anybody had any experience with any of them?

Thanks.

I went with Black Rapid after a very impressive demo at Focus On Imaging, I bought the DR1 which is effectively two RS7s together, they're superb. At a recent wedding I had a pair of 1 series with heavy lenses and flashes attached for 6 hours non stop without feeling the weight. I also went out walking with a 1 series and 100-400, not a light combo, over difficult terrain, again without feeling them.

I went for the Black Rapid Sport model as it comes with a strap the secures under the arm as well. This stops the whole thing rotating round your body - something that can happen with the RS-7 (especially when you bend down to pick something up!).

I'd highly recommend it!

Black Rapid RS7 for me too. I do a lot of walking across fields, woods etc with the dogs and you dont notice the camera hanging beside you on the rs7. Even with the strap on and a coat on over it, the camera is still easily accessed. Had it for 5 days in new york recently, so handy.

Just bought a quickstrap and I'm very impressed. They also do an option with a security fitting as a reinforced strap. Seems similar to rs7 but at a lot less money

http://www.qstrap.co.uk/

Gypsy_Biker said:
I went for the Black Rapid Sport model as it comes with a strap the secures under the arm as well. This stops the whole thing rotating round your body - something that can happen with the RS-7 (especially when you bend down to pick something up!).

I'd highly recommend it!

I used the Black Rapid RS-7 and bought the under arm strap to go with it....great piece of kit!!!

Black Rapid or one of the other similar straps are almost a must for todays larger DSLR’s and a quality (read heavy) lens. The only thing I can't believe is that the likes of Canon still supply those crappy round the neck straps they have been supplying since the 35mm Olympus OM1 was a glimmer in it’s designers narrow little eyes.

Surely the mfr of a £3k DSLR can stretch to a Black Rapid type strap with the mfr logo on it, at least they would get the benefit of some free advertising next time one of the pap’s happens to run a celeb off the road :shrug:

Mark

iPhoto said:
Black Rapid or one of the other similar straps are almost a must for todays larger DSLR’s and a quality (read heavy) lens. The only thing I can't believe is that the likes of Canon still supply those crappy round the neck straps they have been supplying since the 35mm Olympus OM1 was a glimmer in it’s designers narrow little eyes.

Surely the mfr of a £3k DSLR can stretch to a Black Rapid type strap with the mfr logo on it, at least they would get the benefit of some free advertising next time one of the pap’s happens to run a celeb off the road :shrug:

Mark

Totally agree Mark ... The main players have missed a trick in not at least collaborating with someone like BR

Just bought a quickstrap and I'm very impressed. They also do an option with a security fitting as a reinforced strap. Seems similar to rs7 but at a lot less money

http://www.qstrap.co.uk/

plusone.gif

Very happy qstrap user myself.

The qstrap appeals to me as its so much cheaper than the r7, but then I start to think do I really want to hang my 60d and sigma 150-500 from something that costs £20!!

Sun Sniper for me, (y), seems to be a litte longer than the BR if you happen to be taller than average.

The qstrap appeals to me as its so much cheaper than the r7, but then I start to think do I really want to hang my 60d and sigma 150-500 from something that costs £20!!

Happily sell you my q-strap for £75 if it makes you feel better :)

Jim_Tod said:
Happily sell you my q-strap for £75 if it makes you feel better :)

I'm not being a snob my thinking is that it may fail!!! People come on here and say I bought such and such bag for 15 quid and the zip has broken after 3 weeks or it's leaked has anyone had the same problem?? And they get replies like you get what you pay for!!
The qstrap may well be a very well built strap but if I'm going to attach something that costs the best part of a £1000 I would like to think that I'd got the best strap!!

Last edited:
Q strap for me too :) secure and well worth the cash, have hung my one series and 70-200 lenses off mine for well over a year, no problems. My line of thinking would be ..... How much did the original camera strap that came with the camera cost to produce? Just a thought ...

Last edited:
rpic said:
Q strap for me too :) secure and well worth the cash, have hung my one series and 70-200 lenses off mine for well over a year, no problems. My line of thinking would be ..... How much did the original camera strap that came with the camera cost to produce? Just a thought ...

Good point!!

Sun Sniper if for no other reasons than the anti-slash/theft wiring and the kit guarantee.

Have been using the Black Rapid for 12 months. Cannot fault it!

As I said I'm very happy with my qstrap, but I will concede the sun-sniper attachment to the tripod thread with steel bearing is by far the best I've seen so far.

Thanks for the opinions guys, it looks as if a lot of you are going for the RS7, I ordered the Sun Sniper, it was the steel cable that just edged it for me, £40 for a brand new one, did not think it was too bad.

Cheers again.

I've got two, but couldn't tell you which off hand. They're the model which has the all in one mount, rather than the separate bits.

Ok thanks.

Mark

Does the Sun Sniper have a built in method like the BR Sport to stop the camera swinging round to the front when you bend down?

Nope, but frankly that's a gimic anyway. It's going to stop the strap rotating round the body, but not the camera sliding forward on it!

Nope, but frankly that's a gimic anyway. It's going to stop the strap rotating round the body, but not the camera sliding forward on it!
No... there's another plastic clip which means you can lock the camera into any position on the strap.

Got the Black Rapid Ladies strap and think it is brilliant. Superbly designed and made, with a solid screw in mount.

No more neck ache and walking around holding the camera to take the weight off my neck.

Worth every penny to me.

Heather

the sun sniper has a 'bear' option (bearing) which helps reduce the camera swinging. also, following someone elses advice i've bought the BR BRAD under arm extra strap which fits the sun sniper, which also helps the strap not keep moving around your shoulder

Last edited:
Love my SunSniper strap, i think the suspension section helps reduce strain as well, good idea about adding the BRAD to the SunSniper I had thought about gluing not non slip matting to the underside of the pad but might have to try the BRAD

It's a pain if you use a tripod, I'm thinking why I ever bought one. Need to take it off to put the QR plate on it and then take it off again. I guess it's useful when you know your never going to use a tripod.

I know what you mean, I guess I'm being a little too picky! Although when my camera is on a tripod I have an OCD complex in that I like to hold onto the canon strap, just in case it drops!(Again a bit weird I know!)

If you use a Manfrotto RC2 style plate you can get a BR Fasten RT1 which is a BR bolt that fits the RC2 plate. That way, it's just an unclip.

It's a pain if you use a tripod, I'm thinking why I ever bought one. Need to take it off to put the QR plate on it and then take it off again. I guess it's useful when you know your never going to use a tripod.

you need an M-plate

at $75 its not cheap but it looks the biz and fits almost every type of plate so you're not restricted to Manfrotto etc

the sun sniper has a 'bear' option (bearing) which helps reduce the camera swinging. also, following someone elses advice i've bought the BR BRAD under arm extra strap which fits the sun sniper, which also helps the strap not keep moving around your shoulder

Was considering getting this for my BR strap (think it's RS-7) - anyone seen it for less than £17? Seems a lot for such a small bit of strap - and no Q-strap alternative seem to be available!

Back