100 Strangers Complete!!

Looking amazing so far Mr Iain! It has to be the colour version though, so much character comes through, especially with hair colour choices of quite a few, shows their personality more :D

Thanks T :)
I am more drawn to the colour one too but the B&W I do like also. It is my intention to get both printed at the end of the first 100 strangers.

Thanks T :)
I am more drawn to the colour one too but the B&W I do like also. It is my intention to get both printed at the end of the first 100 strangers.

oh don't get me wrong the black and white are lovely and to be honest usually it would be my first choice but I think in this case I love your processing style and draws me in so much more :)

You are selecting exhibitionists to pose for you. That is, of course, why they agree. Colour is an all important part.

Don't you think?

You are selecting exhibitionists to pose for you. That is, of course, why they agree. Colour is an all important part.

Don't you think?

Thanks David, yes, I agree that some of the strangers are, by their very style saying "look at me" and by virtue of that have happily agreed to pose. However, I like to think that I have struck a balance within the strangers so far that there are also those with less exhibitionist characteristics?

Colour is an all important part, it's how we see after all. IMHO in this instance it does have more impact.

Thanks again for looking/commenting, it's much appreciated (y)

Excellent idea Iain ...I think the colour works better in this instance as the individuality stands out more. Also, some faces translate better into black and white than others.

Looking forward to your next upload of faces :)

Thanks Susie, it's a bit of mix and match then?
My preference is the colour one too. :)

Thanks Iain

It hit me last night after a hapless hour at the wrong location looking for a couple who would like the idea of being photographed. I've taken candid street people pics before but have never asked the way you do. Touristy, studenty locations is where it's at .... I guess.

Your B&W conversions ... what do you say to my attitude: B&W portraiture should be reserved for the dramatic, mysterious, shady, shadowy low-key?

Thanks Iain

It hit me last night after a hapless hour at the wrong location looking for a couple who would like the idea of being photographed. I've taken candid street people pics before but have never asked the way you do. Touristy, studenty locations is where it's at .... I guess.

Your B&W conversions ... what do you say to my attitude: B&W portraiture should be reserved for the dramatic, mysterious, shady, shadowy low-key?

Yes, you've got to give yourself the best shot at it and certainly around those locations, you'll stand a much better chance.

B&W portraiture as you've described it? I can see where you are coming from with it David but I am not sure that it should be reserved as such. I think the 'problem' I have here is that I put both versions up and viewers can make the comparison. In this instance, the colour has so much more punch than the B&W.

I don't subscribe to the train of thought that street must be B&W but it seems a route some choose to go down when shooting that genre. I know my shots aren't street as such but as they were shot in that environment, they have a loose link.

I much prefer colour as that is what we see but will continue converting my shots to B&W as I am interested in the finished article and how it will look. It might never see the light of day beyond my computer screen but it is much easier to convert as I go along rather than compiling it at the end.

Thanks again for your point of view and comments David, they are very welcome. I enjoy the dialogue that has emerged from this thread, exactly as I wanted. I didn't want it to go along with my just posting images and no interaction with people, albeit online.

Once you've completed the 100, You should really hire a warehouse, get them all printed and have a exhibition (y)

I am not sure about an exhibition Andy, but I will certainly get them printed.
I have an inclination towards a book, perhaps with the images square cropped and printed at about 12'x12'

Hi Iain just popped in to have a quick catch up on what you have been up, and I am impressed with the quality of your work. A lovely nice variety of interesting people, and very well photographed.

Thanks Mandy(y)
They have all been lovely people to shoot too. Very supportive of the project in allowing me to take their portrait.

Well, today I visited London to continue with my project.
I started out with such high hopes of shooting quite a few strangers but it wasn't to be.
A combination of man-flu, crappie weather and not really being on my game, I managed the grand total of one stranger.
My shoot ratio today was 1 out of 3, two refusals, one I put down to a language barrier, with a snappily dressed French bloke. My schoolboy French didn't quite cut it when trying to explain the project concept, I brought out one of my cards (as if that would help:rolleyes:) and I think he thought I was trying to sell him something :D.

Stranger #31 - Alison is posted below, separately.

#31:100 Strangers - Alison
by iain blake, on Flickr

I met Alison and her friend crossing the Millennium Bridge in London on their way to meet friends for a birthday party in The Shard when Alison agreed to pose for her portrait and become Stranger 31.

Alison is from Brighton.

The past?
Advice to younger self?

"Get a better education, go to university"

The future?

"I would like to live the simple life, surrounded by my family and friends"

Thank you Alison!

For a chap with, shall we say, limited coverage of the head region, you like your colorfully haired subjects :)

Good eye contact, nice tilt of the head, nice smooth BG.

Cheers.

For a chap with, shall we say, limited coverage of the head region, you like your colorfully haired subjects :)

Good eye contact, nice tilt of the head, nice smooth BG.

Cheers.

:D Colourful strangers were few and far between today Andy, so Alison caught my eye with her touch of colour in her hair.
It was a miserable day today, I should have stayed in the house rather than doing a 120mile round trip in the car to London.

I may ease up a little on the project until we get some better weather.

LOL and OUCH! :D
But I agree, you certainly do seem to find the "colourful ones" Iain (y)

LOL and OUCH! :D
But I agree, you certainly do seem to find the "colourful ones" Iain (y)

:D The boy @posiview speaks the truth.

Thanks Chris, the 'colourful ones' do stand out in the crowd though.
Yesterday the weather was grim, so Alison's hair perhaps stood out more when she walked past me.
I ended up having to walk really fast to catch her up :D

Feeling as though my 100 Strangers project had slowed a little, my intention today was to go into London and up the pace of my project again.

Due to railway engineering, this meant a six hour round trip!

Not put off with that prospect, I visited Old Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane today. I am glad I did, results posted below.

#33:100 Strangers - Sophie
by iain blake, on Flickr

Sophie is originally from London but now living in Bedford.

Sophie was walking towards the train station, when I approached her to ask if she would take part in my 100 strangers project. I thought Sophie had a friendly face and a kind smile when I first saw her and wasn't disappointed once i spoke to Sophie.

She had been visiting a friend in Spitalfields having had a night out where Sophie and her friend had had fish & chips followed by a visit to the Tate Modern gallery to see an exhibition.

"I reached a certain age and found my confidence. This was probably after having my daughter Ruby. I realised that I should worry less about what other people thought and should do things my own way"

Thank you Sophie!

#34:100 Strangers - Simon
by iain blake, on Flickr

I first noticed Simon and his top hat adorned with sculptured forks.

Simon makes and sells custom jewellery made from silver forks.

"I worked in the television and film industry but ended up resenting the business and many of the people too. There were a lot of shallow individuals trying to make their way up the ladder by stepping on others.

I have always gone to music festivals and at Glastonbury with a girlfriend one year, we saw wind chimes crafted from cutlery. My girlfriend said that she would like one. I made my girlfriend the wind chime and things went from there. I now trade at Glastonbury.

I have never had a plan in life, I have always just made things up as I went along. I went with the flow."

"You make your own luck in life."

Simon's work can be seen at

www.fork-out.co.uk

Thank you Simon!

Evening, Iain.

Jendayi, lovely model, but.....she looks a little OOF :thinking: and the BG isn't up to your usual high standards.

Sophie, back on track. The BG works well with the tiny bit of her top. Her comments about her confidence are evident in her posture.

Cheers.

#35:100 Strangers - Osvaldo
by iain blake, on Flickr

I first noticed Osvaldo on Brick Lane where he was walking along the road juggling a plastic bottle and what looked like a cocktail shaker.

Osvaldo is Italian and there was something of a language barrier but I was able to ask him if I could take his portrait to which he excitedly agreed. Osvaldo chose the spot, one which I had already planned for.

There the fun and games began! Osvaldo just wouldn't/couldn't stand still. He continued juggling and doing his tricks whilst I tried to get him to pose, a feat I managed just once in however many frames.

Due to the language barrier, I couldn't quite get much information from Osvaldo but it was a fun experience all the same.

Thank you Osvaldo!

#37:100 Strangers - Sadie
by iain blake, on Flickr

Sadie is from Upminster in Essex, visiting London with her boyfriend Alfred.
Sadie was a photography student but was now working in an office but dreams of being an event planner.
Alfred, a photography student, so kindly held the reflector whilst I took Sadie's portrait.

"My happiest memory was meeting Alfred and we have been together 2 years."

Thank you Sadie and Alfred!

#38:100 Strangers - Chris
by iain blake, on Flickr

I met Chris and his partner Sandra, both from Stoke. They were down visiting London, which is a regular event for them.
They are both members of The Whitechapel Society.

www.whitechapelsociety.com

The Whitechapel Society 1888 promotes the study of the Whitechapel murders and the social impact that this event had on the East End of London.
The Society also promotes the study of Victorian / Edwardian life and culture in the East End of London.

"We don't like all the new predominately metal and glass buildings which are being built around London. We wish we could tell Boris Johnson (London Mayor) to stop demolishing all the old buildings only to replace them with these modern structures."

"A lottery win would see us move down from Stoke to London. We love the place."

Thank you Chris and Sandra.

Simon, this is a belter...bent forks, wonder why you were drawn to him :)

Once agan the model, and on this occasion his hat, really works well with the BG. Very sharp eyes and wonderful light on his face.

Osvaldo, I bet you were thinking, "stand still!" :) He looks like a very interesting character. The colours look quite muted and I like this because it contrasts well against his pose and expression.

Cheers and good catch up.

#39:100 Strangers - Clare
by iain blake, on Flickr

I first noticed the colourful background to Clare's portrait, then turned around and saw Clare wearing an outfit to match.
Clare is from Galway, Ireland, visiting London with her sister.

Clare is a librarian for the Law Society in Galway.

"I dream of becoming a full time photographer in the creative and artistic side. Definitely not weddings, that sounds like a nightmare!"

"My outlook in life? Be relaxed and chilled out"

Thank you Clare!

Another stunning set of characters Iain

Particularly Jendayi & Osvaldo (y)

Evening, Iain.

Jendayi, lovely model, but.....she looks a little OOF :thinking: and the BG isn't up to your usual high standards.

Sophie, back on track. The BG works well with the tiny bit of her top. Her comments about her confidence are evident in her posture.

Cheers.

Simon, this is a belter...bent forks, wonder why you were drawn to him :)

Once agan the model, and on this occasion his hat, really works well with the BG. Very sharp eyes and wonderful light on his face.

Osvaldo, I bet you were thinking, "stand still!" :) He looks like a very interesting character. The colours look quite muted and I like this because it contrasts well against his pose and expression.

Cheers and good catch up.

Think I'll wait until you've finished uploading :)

Thanks for all the above comments Andy.
Jendayi, its different lighting on her, more artificial than natural daylight.
She was standing by her stall in the market and didn't ask her to move away but i do welcome your comments (y)

Sophie was a lovely person, I stood chatting to her for ages. She was so engaging and generous with her time.

Osvaldo :D he was a nightmare to photograph, he wouldn't stand still :D

Another stunning set of characters Iain

Particularly Jendayi & Osvaldo (y)

Thanks Chris, I am so pleased i endured the commute into London today, a wonderful bunch of people. :D

Right, think I'm safe :)

Catriona, I seem to be drawn to the BGs first, which again work well with her jacket.

Sadie, oohh, you had a helper :). The red lipstick really pops and goes with her scarf. I like the tilt of her head and the waves on the wall.

Chris, the processing (or light on the day) works well on this one. Quite subdued with works well with the narrative. Can't work out if he has a chest tattoo or it's his t shirt.

Clare contrasts well against Chris. Nice vivid colours and slightly more central that usual, I think :thinking: I really should not mention the clipped bobble :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Right, think I'm safe :)

Catriona, I seem to be drawn to the BGs first, which again work well with her jacket.

Sadie, oohh, you had a helper :). The red lipstick really pops and goes with her scarf. I like the tilt of her head and the waves on the wall.

Chris, the processing (or light on the day) works well on this one. Quite subdued with works well with the narrative. Can't work out if he has a chest tattoo or it's his t shirt.

Clare contrasts well against Chris. Nice vivid colours and slightly more central that usual, I think :thinking: I really should not mention the clipped bobble :)

Cheers.

Thanks again Andy (y)
If I can choose the background then alls the better but sometimes its a case of finding a stranger then turn around and try to find a suitable background.
In the case of Catriona, that was actually taken in Fashion Street, and wanted someone equally fitting with the location.

Chris :D yes I see what you mean about the chest tattoo, its actually a tee shirt.

Sadie, I have used that background before with Rebecca earlier on in the project but thought Sadie suited the background equally as well.

Say nuffink about the clipped pompom on Clares hat ;)

Hehe, I wouldn't mind a night out on the town with Osvaldo, great story. I LOLed when I saw Simon's Forks I thought you had made his hat!

Another great bunch of images Iain, although I have to agree with Andy and say that I thought Jendayi's pic is below your usual exacting standards... sorry to be negative Iain.

Did you get Catriona's number? Can I have it? Oh Man those eyes....

Hehe, I wouldn't mind a night out on the town with Osvaldo, great story. I LOLed when I saw Simon's Forks I thought you had made his hat!

Another great bunch of images Iain, although I have to agree with Andy and say that I thought Jendayi's pic is below your usual exacting standards... sorry to be negative Iain.

Did you get Catriona's number? Can I have it? Oh Man those eyes....

Osvaldo :D what a character, just would not stand still,nightmare.
Absolutely no apology necessary Brian, I welcome all comments/critique. On Jendayi's portrait it was very much take what I got, she had to stand near her stall.

Catriona? :D I loved her look, so bright, alert and quite striking. No, no phone numbers acquired, the flow of contact details is a very one sided affair, I give the strangers my card and if they choose to get in touch, that's lovely.

Thanks again for looking in Brian (y):cow:

I paid another visit to London today to continue my project.
The weather turned a bit grim in the afternoon but I still managed to shoot 3 strangers portraits, the results are posted below. C&C welcome as always.

Back