Blue Damselfly.

Very nice Dale :)

Not long before these are back out now, can't wait, one of my favourite subjects.

Taken a while ago now but processed this weekend. Love 'em.

5Div, Canon 100f2.8L, 100mm, ISO 1000, 1/640 sec, f7.1.

Damselfly. by Dale, on Flickr
Great pic :) Really looking forward to seeing some more this year.

Really nicely done, got the all of the damselfly in focus too which can be tricky
these are probably my favourite macro subjects some of them have amazing colours

Really nicely done, got the all of the damselfly in focus too which can be tricky
these are probably my favourite macro subjects some of them have amazing colours

Thanks.

I always try to get the damsels (dragons) parallel with the sensor at all times. Damsels are a little more forgiving than dragons in that sense as they tend to fold their wings over their body, rather than outstretched. The main problem is the DOF in so close, even at F8, it can be as little as 3 or 4mm in focus.

Looking forward though to trying the stacking on the R7. I've done flowers with it and it's worked well. Can't wait for that either. Also, I usually use the 100mm f2.8 but this year, I have a new 100-400mkii, which can focus pretty close, so I'm looking forward to trying that too. (y)

Thanks.

I always try to get the damsels (dragons) parallel with the sensor at all times. Damsels are a little more forgiving than dragons in that sense as they tend to fold their wings over their body, rather than outstretched. The main problem is the DOF in so close, even at F8, it can be as little as 3 or 4mm in focus.

Looking forward though to trying the stacking on the R7. I've done flowers with it and it's worked well. Can't wait for that either. Also, I usually use the 100mm f2.8 but this year, I have a new 100-400mkii, which can focus pretty close, so I'm looking forward to trying that too. (y)
yes depth of field on damselflies is narrow I’m normally on about F7.1 same as what you used
I use the image stacking on the R5 , I think the R7 image stacking is the same , it’s excellent

I use the image stacking on the R5 , I think the R7 image stacking is the same , it’s excellent

Agreed. It took a little getting used to but once it clicked with the flowers, the difference to a single shot was clear. Can't wait for the damsels and dragons to show up this year to try it, it shouldn't be long now. Hopefully, the wind will die down too. :LOL:

Agreed. It took a little getting used to but once it clicked with the flowers, the difference to a single shot was clear. Can't wait for the damsels and dragons to show up this year to try it, it shouldn't be long now. Hopefully, the wind will die down too. :LOL:

yes it’s cold and windy up here too
I used to focus stack macro manually but it was always hit and miss but the R5 (and 7) make it much easier

awesome. Something I'd love to photograph with a macro lens.

Thanks Joel. They are suprisingly challenging but make for a great morning/evening out. (y)

Back