blurred background problem.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I find it very hard to get a blurred background with my Olympus C750 compact digital camera. Unfortunately my last Olympus SP560UZ is a write off due to damage.
I never had trouble with my previous SLR's

Compacts dont usualy give a shallow depth of field due to there small sensor, so even something like f3.5 will be like f8 or higher.

As above really. The only way I've found to get a blurred background with a compact is to shoot tiny things at very close range. Not much use if you're wanting to shoot people though I'm afraid.

I'm sure the purists will be hurling things at their monitors just reading this but there are some compact cameras that now fake background blur. I think it's referred to as de-focus control or something of that ilk. Sony were advertising this a little while ago.

Worth trying macro mode for say a portrait head shot.

It might be worth updating to a more recent compact or micro 4/3rds. Even the biggest m43 camera isn't going to be much bigger than your C750.
Most compacts and m43 cameras have a scene mode which will blur backgrounds, miniaturisation mode ( great fun this one) and others for almost every occasion.

Your not really gong to get a proper out of focus background with your camera, after all, it must be almost 10 years old by now and technology has moved on somewhat.....

Allan

You can get fantastic OOF backgrounds with a Lumix GF1 and 20mm f/1.7 lens. Not very big or heavy to carry around, and has all the quality and control of a DSLR.
Might be worth a look.

the only way you can kinda force a shallow (ish) depth of field on a compact is to use the zoom, as at higher focal lengths dof is smaller, and to stand as close to the subject as possible...

the only proper way would be to get a camera with a larger sensor as written above

if a camera upgrade isn't an option, you could always do it post production. Something like Alienskin Bokeh....if you have the software to run it mind

As others have said, it's largely due to the small sensor creating a very large DOF and the minimum apertures of the lenses tend to make the shallow DOF effect really difficult.

I also agree that using PP to get a blur effect is probably easier these days!!

If you can upgrade to a CSC some of the latest from the likes of Sony have a APS-C sensor and give great brokeh but without the bulk of a DSLR.

Back