Beginner Books for a beginner

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Now that i have my new camera and lenses i am slowly trying out all the camera and lens functions to see what works for me.

i have learnt a good few things online and this forum but i am looking to buy myself a beginners book(s) for reference on dslr cameras / settings / general photography that i can take out in the field with me.

Any recommendations for me?

Thank you

David

I'm not sure about taking it into the field with you, perhaps when you have a kindle or similar device as the paperback copy is large...

I found Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson one of the best books ever for a beginner. Applicable to any camera, and really helps understanding the basics from which you can develop further...

Thank you, ill have a search for it online.

I would look at a field guide book for your camera if it's available. They often explain what each function does and gives examples so you can read before you try.

Agree with understanding exposure. I also liked Stunning Digital Photography which covers a wide range of topics, but even the basics are helpful.

I'm not sure about taking it into the field with you, perhaps when you have a kindle or similar device as the paperback copy is large...

I found Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson one of the best books ever for a beginner. Applicable to any camera, and really helps understanding the basics from which you can develop further...

I can second that recommendation. I purchased not to long ago from Amazon and it is a great read

I have ordered the peterson book from amazon. Got the last edition for under four pounds :)

Get the field guide for your camera, personally I don't like the Patterson book, the 'updated for digital' is a big fat lie.
I'm not sure about portability, but 'the photographers eye' is more inspirational and there's a great digital version if you have a kindle or tablet.

They're not exactly portable but I've found the Tom Ang Digital Photography Masterclass and Complete Photographer books really useful and interesting.

The Michael Freeman books are good too but again, not exactly portable.

and not exactly for beginners in my opinion

Really?

Thats interesting as I found Ang's books very good for the basics of exposure etc especially as he gives visual examples and sets challenges to practice what has been explained, something I found invaluable.

Each to their own though and its great that some find different resources better than others :)

The tom ang book was on sale in amazon for £0.01 so i have ordered it for a read. If it turns out to be a bit much for a beginner it will be no great loss

Really?

Thats interesting as I found Ang's books very good for the basics of exposure etc especially as he gives visual examples and sets challenges to practice what has been explained, something I found invaluable.

Each to their own though and its great that some find different resources better than others :)
Ahh, I was referring to the Michael Freeman part of the quote, I would agree with you re Tom Ang :)
I found Freeman a bit heavy when you are still at the stage of getting your head round the exposure triangle etc That doesn't mean it won't suit all beginners I always had an attention span problem but I have always considered Freemans books as one of the few authors who actually cater for the more advanced photographer. When I bought them I failed to get more tha half way through, but returning a year or so later it was a different story

When I read Freeman's "Perfect Exposure" it probably stimulated the biggest jump in my understanding of the technical side of photography. I think it's invaluable. But it assumes you are closely familiar with the basics.

60d for dummies would be good if anyone has any to give or sell ?

good luck with yoru search.

Sorry I might have missed it in the post but what camera are you using .
Is there a dummies guide available for this camera .
A quick point to make is that a few minutes with somebody experienced in the use of a camera is worth a lot more to you .
And it take a long time to learn from a book . check your local area for clubs that are taking new members and remember enjoy the experience .

I'd also suggest Scott Kelby's Digital Photography volumes 1-4. Short and snappy books, easy to read and understand, colour images. Also, Bryan Peterson's other book - composition field guide - cracking book!

They're not exactly portable but I've found the Tom Ang Digital Photography Masterclass and Complete Photographer books really useful and interesting.

+1 I just got a used copy for less than £3 - not exactly complete beginner but once you know the Aperture / ISO / Shutter speed it's ideal

I just picked up 'Fashion Photography 101: A Complete Course for the New Fashion Photographers by Lara Jade' from a discount book shop for £3.99. Obviously focused on fashion. it's very good.

I also picked up 'Photographers' Guide to Photoshop 4 MagBook' from 'The Works' discount book shop.

I have just started reading 'Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers by Zack Arias'

It's not really a technical book but more of how to think and behave like a photographer. As a beginner myself, it's a great inspiration.

I have just started reading 'Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers by Zack Arias'
I bought the kindle version of the book. It is geared towards what ZA does especially about professional photography but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. Certainly it made me rethink a few things. One of the best advice was to master the gear that you have.

If you wanted to "try before you buy" it's possible that a google search might turn up an electronic version of the Photographer's Eye for free. But I'm sure that if you like it you'd buy the original in due course...

I think many people discount the actual manual that comes with the camera as a pretty good learning resource. I have only had Nikon DLSRs, but the manual is actually pretty good at explaining a lot of technical stuff, applicable directly to your own camera. Artistically, 'Camera Lucida' by Roland Barthes is a good book to read. Some may argue that it's heavy going and it's not something you recommend to a novice, but you know as they say: any fool can take a picture, but few can make it art.

I prefer a book to hold in the hand for referencing. Pretty difficult to weed through an online manual. YouTube vids are good too.

Michael Freeman has done some smaller field guides as well, they're quite good.

Certainly better than Tom Ang, or maybe it's just that I can't get along with his style - I bought one of his early books when I bought my first digital camera and his style was inpenetratable.

I found the Peterson Understanding Exposure book to be very useful - in an hour I managed to get my head around the basics to understand how Av, Tv and M modes worked. After a couple of read throughs I gave it away to a friend. And if that's your goal it's not a bad book.

But if you want to improve the your photography by taking more interesting photographs, there's really no substitute for exposing yourself to as many images as possible and taking the time to look at them. And exposing yourself to as many creative styles as possible.

Back