bought some canon stuff on a whim. any keepers?

Name
Christian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, was trawling gumtree yesterday and found a job lot of lenses, flashes and filters along with an old 650 film camera.

I was intrigued with the lenses (with being able to fit my 40d) so went over and got the lot for 50 quid, now i'm not sure if these are junk or worth keeping. The guy who had them really looked after the stuff, its all mint. any of you guys know anything about this stuff? heres what I got

1 canon 650 film camera - mint inc manuals

2 A canon speedlite 430 ez

3 Canon EF 35 -70 3.5 - 4.5

4 Canon EF 35 - 105 3.5 - 4.5

5. Canon EF 28 - 70 3.5 - 4.5 mk 2

6. bunch of sky and uv filters (jessops?)

if the camera worth using? ifso what am i looking for fault wise, it is immaculate though. can i can get some film for it.

Now the above are metal mounts and, while noisy when focusing all are fully functional. (not had chance to actually test them at taking pics yet though
any of these keepers or have I pushed pennies down the drain.?

the flash works but not in auto - im hoping i can use this to wirelessly trigger my nissin di886 - is this possible?

thanks for reading

Have a play with the lenses on your DSLR and see what you think of them. Having been bought to mate with a 35mm film camera, I'm guessing (I'm a Nikon user so not familiar with Canon's products) that they're all FF compatible. IIRC, the 650 was low/midrange but will still be very useable and 35mm film is easy to find on the High Street as well as online (7dayshop were the people I used to but most of my film from - good prices and wide range). Drop into the Film and Conventional area and see what recent posts have been made about films and suppliers.

As Nod says, have a play with them and see what you get from them.

The 35-70 was the kit lens supplied with the body, not the quickest of lenses, but will work on your body.

Just have a play and enjoy them.

I have used some of these older film lenses on my 350 and 300d an they worked fine.
I sold my 35-80 for £30 so you should get your money back if not more once you have had a fiddle with them.

If nothing else, your £50 got you a very useable film set up for the cost of a basic digital P&S!

Have to say I loved my 650. Great that I could interchange my lenses with my 50D and those EF-S lenses went on it too. I think my Sigma 10-20 on the 650 was a hoot at 10mm. Totally natural vignetting :)

If you decide to get rid of it, I'm sure it would go in the classifieds here for a tenner or so. Plenty of Canon shooters that could have a go at film with their existing lens setup.

Congrats on your purchase!

Ian.

i would try it on auto you might be surprised

I wouldnt - the trigger voltage on film flashes like the old EZ series is high enough to damage the circuity of a modern DSLR

that said it would be worth keeping to use as a second off camera flash with a slave unit or an RF trigger

incidentally ref the film - get a roll from poundland first off so you don't waste a more expensive film if there are faults

Last edited:
Does it have a built in slave setting ?

if it does you can set it to that and it will fire when it picks up another flash firing

If it doesnt you'd need either a clip on slave cell or a radio trigger receiver (and transmitter to go on your hot shoe unless your camera has the built in - which the 40D doesnt)

I wouldnt - the trigger voltage on film flashes like the old EZ series is high enough to damage the circuity of a modern DSLR

that said it would be worth keeping to use as a second off camera flash with a slave unit or an RF trigger

incidentally ref the film - get a roll from poundland first off so you don't waste a more expensive film if there are faults

im interested to find what makes you say this (im not saying your lying dont worry) Old flashes used to be a simple closed circuit to trigger them i remember doing it with a screwdriver. with that in mind i cant see what would come out of the flash that could damage your camera.

canon would have a duty of care to photographers to backwards compatible the new hot shoes to support the old ones or i believe they could be liable.

just curious might be one to discuss

im interested to find what makes you say this (im not saying your lying dont worry) Old flashes used to be a simple closed circuit to trigger them i remember doing it with a screwdriver. with that in mind i cant see what would come out of the flash that could damage your camera.

canon would have a duty of care to photographers to backwards compatible the new hot shoes to support the old ones or i believe they could be liable.

just curious might be one to discuss

They run at a much higher power, not sure if its amps volts or watts but it can and will do damage to a modern DSLR.(y)

The EZ series Canon flash aren't compatible with Canon digitals.

http://www.lightandmatter.org/2009/...s/canon-speedlite-430ez-review-for-strobists/

yeah but this would beg to differ

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=362793

if this guy is right there should be no problem putting the 430ez on his camera

These two pages might be worth reading aswell

http://dpanswers.com/content/genrc_flash_measuretv.php#mi

and

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0703/tech-tips.html

as far as i can see there is no reason you cant use the flash on your camera.

Last edited:
as far as i can see there is no reason you cant use the flash on your camera.

It seems i wasnt absolutely correct - Canon say that it can be used but only in manual mode (a lot of old film flashes are too high a voltage for DSLR but it appears canon don't think thats a problem with the EZ)

from canon europe

When Canon introduced digital EOS models, they omitted the flash sensors in the base of the camera (the sensor reflects light differently to film). This means that EZ-series Speedlites can only be used in manual mode with EOS digital cameras....

...if you are using an EOS digital camera all you really need to know is that it is only compatible with EX-series Speedlites.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/flash/speedlite_compatibility.do

to be honest i did learn something so was good to point it out.

basically from reading it the hotshoe on old cameras was mechanical so more than likely a switch or a relay that performed the "shorting" of the contacts. modern hotshoes im guessing will use a semiconductor approach to doing this. probably meaning that the system has limits alot lower than what they used to be.

However looks like the camera can take up to 250v and the flash is only 6v.

funnily enough though the earlier DSLR's are not capable of this so im curious as to whether or not it was caused by a complaint by someone to canon

The Canon EF 28 - 70 3.5 - 4.5 mk 2 is a decent lens. I still use one I bought new (to go on an EOS 650) in about 87 on my 40D and it gives me very acceptable results.

Back