Broken the rules...what do you reckon?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I've framed this little guy with his ear cut off, half a paw gone and a claw from another hand...but on this particular shot I feel it doesn't matter too much as it draws you into the eyes...what do you think?

1625584_10153870670880305_1546245791_n.jpg

EDITED after taking comments on board:

1653813_10153875364800305_515195320_n.jpg

Cheers,
Phil.

Last edited:
The distracction on picture left doesn't work for me Phil. I could cope with the cut offs otherwise I reckon.

Yeah. Sorry, couldn't make out what it was.

It's a nice photograph, but I would either go in tighter to the face, or include the paws and ears. The trouble with photography it's totally subjective.

It's a nice photograph, but I would either go in tighter to the face, or include the paws and ears. The trouble with photography it's totally subjective.

:plus1:

Cut off paw really doesn't worry me at all as it is OoF
But the clipped ear tips just don't work, looks like it was badly framed before the shutter was pressed

The Eyes draw me in, but it would have ten nice to have all the ears in.

The thing is, with the ears in its a completely different image - space would be needed above them and the focus would be pulled from the eyes, hence the framing.

I think as suggested it actually needs a bit more ear chopped off.

Will repost later.

I agree with the comments about cropping more, maybe include the right paw (left as you look at it) and crop a bit more off the right, to move the left eye (right as you look at it) more towards the right hand third

Is it just me/my computer but the left eye looks out of focus? It seems to be right eye to nose in focus, reason I mention is i'm strangely drawn to the left eye.

Now how do I get new eyes!! o_O Nice cat though and well done for getting it to pose. Mine just wants to sniff the camera! :banghead:

Have got to agree with Gremlin about the ear tips being chopped off. It just doesn't work for me.

I think if it's a crop of a larger image, then the final result should include all of the missing appendages, or none at all.

It's really simple.
If it's a crop from a larger image, then re-crop.
Include both ears and both paws in thier entirety, or crop them from the shot completely.
To have the all half hacked gives the shot a "snappish" look.

*Edit* I have no problem with the "rules" being broken, except where it's to the detriment of the final image.

Last edited:
Its not working for me - personally if it was someone else I'd have said that the explanation of trying something different was an excuse for cocking up the framing on the original (as per the 'irksome thread' )

IMo theres nothing wrong with breaking the rules, but break them boldly so its obvious you have chosen to do so - breaking them tentatively often looks like you made a bit of a cock of the framing

Its not working for me - personally if it was someone else I'd have said that the explanation of trying something different was an excuse for cocking up the framing on the original (as per the 'irksome thread' )

IMo theres nothing wrong with breaking the rules, but break them boldly so its obvious you have chosen to do so - breaking them tentatively often looks like you made a bit of a cock of the framing
Pete...

This was a split second shot taken with my LX7 and there was no chance to re-take. Essentially, I was lucky to get this.

The question isn't about the perfect image, it's about taking a good pose and wondering if it's ok that the rules are broken of clipping ears and paws.

It's not a portrait shoot where I have the luxury of taking my time with composition.

Can anyone say their animal shots are all shot that way - come on, most of them are chance encounters as was this. A good image is a good image no matter the intention - my questions is quite simple;

Is this a decent image?

If it can be made better (as seen) with a cropping suggestion or effect then I'm more than happy with that.

I apreciate is a grab shot - but if it wasnt a deliberate composition drop the bunkum about breaking the rules.

Its an okay shot , but it would have been better if you'd included all of the ears and the paws

To be fair Phil, you did ask what I thought of the CROP....which is suggestive of there being a larger initial image to begin with, from which this image was...well...cropped.
If it's a grab shot then fine, it's OK.

Since the edit pics box is ticked, here's a very quick and dirty edit to show the crop I would do on it.
View attachment 6258
If I was on a machine with better software and control devices, I would be able to get the eyes and nose closer to the thirds.

Since the edit pics box is ticked, here's a very quick and dirty edit to show the crop I would do on it.
View attachment 6258
If I was on a machine with better software and control devices, I would be able to get the eyes and nose closer to the thirds.
Not a fan of this Nod although I appreciate the effort.

This is a completely different image, as would it be if the entire ears and paws were in.

This one is just...a floating head :LOL:

Nod....a much more pleasing crop IMO.

Post 15?
Ok well all of the previously mentioned ears and paws are still half lopped. The adjustment is so minor as to barely be worth it imo.

I've framed this little guy with his ear cut off, half a paw gone
This was a split second shot taken with my LX7 and there was no chance to re-take. Essentially, I was lucky to get this.

So which was it Phil, if you had time to frame it then better to get the ears and paws and crop it later so you have a choice.

I really don't like the 2nd crop either, Nod's is getting there but still not right, I think it's one of those pictures you are
going to have to accept is just a snapshot, if you like it fine, but for me it's never going to work

So which was it Phil, if you had time to frame it then better to get the ears and paws and crop it later so you have a choice.
I didn't say I took my time Ingrid, I said I framed this little guy etc...that doesn't mean I had time to think, it's just what I did instinctively.

I think "composed" is a word that would lead to suggest I had taken my time, which I didn't say.

I accept it's not one of my best, was just wondering what others thought.

I think the common agreement is that it's OK and that's fine.

Last edited:
Lucky to get it ?, it's a cat ! They spend 80% of their life in the prone position between eating and sleeping :)

I think it's a really nice image but if you had more time I would definitely try to include the ears and paws. One thing that nobody has picked up on is the lighting which is quite nice and a real positive.

Chances are he will be back in the chair this weekend. Why not give it another go :)

Back