Bruja's Photo 52 + Night

Bruja

Los Cojones del Perro
Name
Just call me Mad Madam Mim
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I decided to take the plunge as I needed to do something that would get me out of bed!

Lessons learned this week:

Discover the challenge earlier, not the day before the week ends :bang:

Working with a mirror is very difficult :eek:

Working with two mirrors is even worse :bang:

Working with candles is very difficult :eek:

Getting out of bed is harder than I thought :LOL:

It would have been much easier to post a picture I'd taken last year :D

Anyway, here it is

IMG_3537_edit_sm.jpg
:D

Last edited:
I think you've done well here, I agree with Simon that more of an angle may have worked better, but it still works for me.(y)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I couldn't get a wider angle because, as jgs001 pointed out, there was always something else in the frame. Even this was cropped really tightly. But at least I've leraned something else I need to improve at :LOL:

Good start Jill :D

Thats a lovely yellow you've caught :)

Yet to do mine but I have ideas :)

Well done - from a fellow '2 mirror warrior'. It looks like you were working with low light levels too. :clap:

It's a lovely start and I like the pattern formed by the dips in the rim of the candle - it adds an extra element to the shot.

Look forward to seeing next week's, too. :)

Jean

I like!

Must have been difficult to set up... and I feel your pain re working with mirrors :D

Looking forward to seeing next weeks (y)

Good image, nice feel to it, low light levels, warmth of the yellow.(y)

Great start, will watch this with interest. Good luck. (y)

Well done, that's great. Double mirrors is a royal pain :D indeed but you've pulled it off well. Good luck on the remaining 51

Nice colours and composition. Not easy mirrors and you've learned something too!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone :clap::clap:. It feels like a real community project.

I agree :) this has a good feel about it (y) And a bit like the comp - wondering who's going to come up with what interpretation :)

51 to go :)

Jill, How did you prop up the mirrors, BTW? I am thinking of trying a multi mirror shot soon just to see how difficult it is?

Is there anything you would do differently for THIS shot next time?

Hi Simon, I used a small, narrow hallway and propped one mirror as straight as I could without it falling over against a door. The second mirror I Idid the same but against one of those square, cheap tables from Ikea. But I had to be very, very careful how I took the shot as any movement against the table sent the mirror falling, and, with a large lighted candle, that wasn't a good idea! As I didn't have the energy to get the tripod out, and it wouldn't have fit in the space I was using anyway, I was using the table to balance the camera.

It's also very difficult to keep yourself or your camera out of the frame when using 2 mirrors. And I wanted the focus on the candles without any distracting background information so I only used the light of the candle, and underexposed and then adjusted the levels in ACDSee.

Whay would I do differently?

Take more time - 20 minutes from start to finish - including uploading, wasn't long enough (PM me if you want to know why I only had 20 minutes ;))

Clean the mirrors

Use the tripod

Try and get a wider angle on the candle

Use a different place to set it up

Try a different DoF and focal point

But, all in all, it's probably something I wouldn't repeat as it's not my usual style, but who knows what may happen in the future. I prefer shots of details of stuff people normally don't see as they walk past and candids. Like here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=2503

But I'm glad you've set this up as I like experimenting, and learning from my mistakes is all part of that :naughty:

Nice image Bruja. Good luck with the next one. It's a wonderful learning curve and it does feel like a community project. The encouragement and advice from everyone is great and gives you the boost to get going with the next project (y)

Thanks Maureen, I appreciate it. Got an idea for history so I've just got to try it out now! Might be rubbish though and then back to the drawing board (or a last minute entry again!)

HISTORY

3203428495_8e8945b067_o.jpg

This is me.

Sometimes I can wear my high heeled shoes, though not often enough. :(

Most of the time I have to use at least one crutch, and sometimes two. :razz:

Occasionally I'm limited to the wheelchair. :shake:

And this can all happen in the same week, and sometimes in the same day.

It's been a bad few weeks for me and I've not managed to get out of bed much (should have had a picture of that too! :LOL:)

I've got Multiple Sclerosis you see, and, although it tries to control me, I'm still the boss :naughty: and this challenge is encouraging my innate stubborness to carry on regardless (y)

I've learned a few lessons from this week's challenge but you'll have to wait for another day to find out what they are as I'm now cream crackered.

I've got Multiple Sclerosis you see, and, although it tries to control me, I'm still the boss :naughty: and this challenge is encouraging my innate stubborness to carry on regardless (y)

Good on yer Jill (y) - thats a touching and personal image and I applaud you for creating it and sharing it and for the sentiment that you express above!

Makes my trivial day-to-day whinges seem trite

Great and powerful 2nd week image! (y)

Hi Jill. What an excellent series of pictures they are. They really do express your situation well. I would say all three pics are descriptive of me as well, but I try not to where the heels so much these days! :LOL:

Sorry to hear that you are still having such a hard time of things and I really hope that things start to improve sooner rather than later.

Good on yer Jill (y) - thats a touching and personal image and I applaud you for creating it and sharing it and for the sentiment that you express above!

John's expressed my sentiments exactly. All power to staying the boss. It's truly amazing what the human mind can achieve over adversities and your image this week is strong and beautifully executed. :clap:

Jean

Absolutely gobsmacked, as John said it puts our insignificant problems into perspective.

Lovely set of images telling a very poignant story. All the best!

Wow, a very good series of shots combined together beautifull (y). It's clear that the time you've spent on this is time well spent. I don't think there is much you could do to improve this, although I am thinking that the ballance of the three images could be improved by pointing the chair slightly to the right (as we see it) as in a sense this would mirror the first image with the heels.

I am very much looking forward to you sharing your Learning from this week and your Learning shot next week :)

Wow, that's an excellent image, There's nothing I can say that's not already been said. Thank you :clap: :clap:

Thanks John I appreciate it

Hi Jill. What an excellent series of pictures they are. They really do express your situation well. I would say all three pics are descriptive of me as well, but I try not to where the heels so much these days! :LOL:

Thanks Marc. Your 365 gave me the courage to 'come out' about the disease.

John's expressed my sentiments exactly. All power to staying the boss. It's truly amazing what the human mind can achieve over adversities and your image this week is strong and beautifully executed. :clap:

Jean

Thanks Jean, it's amazing what a bit of stubborness can do :D

Absolutely gobsmacked, as John said it puts our insignificant problems into perspective.

Lovely set of images telling a very poignant story. All the best!

Thanks Ed, I appreciate your support, and glad you like the images. It's a bit of a twist on theme but I hoped it would work.

Wow, a very good series of shots combined together beautifull (y). It's clear that the time you've spent on this is time well spent.

Thanks Simon. I'll get around to my 'what I've learned' in the next couple of days.

Wow, that's an excellent image, There's nothing I can say that's not already been said. Thank you :clap: :clap:

What a lovely thing to say and I'm glad you like it. I'm overwhelmed by the positive response to this week's entry.

Well you put some of to shame with our moaning about things like the weather and other trivia..that a great set of shots:clap::clap::clap:

I really like this. It's a very unusual set of self portraits, and also very honest and telling. Nicely done.

Great image for History, cant help but wonder why you didn't enter it into the monthly?

Thanks Toothie and I didn't enter it for POTY as I'm more motivated to see this 52 project through because it gives me more chance to get feedback on my work. This feels more satisfying for me. :)

I really like this. It's a very unusual set of self portraits, and also very honest and telling. Nicely done.

Thanks Matt, I appreciate it (y)

Thanks Graulges :D

YOu know what that image proves? That a 'portrait' doesn't have to include a face to tell you a load of stuff about a person you would never have imagined. Great idea, great execution, great inspiration :clap:

Thanks Yv, I appreciate it :)

Thanks Toothie and I didn't enter it for POTY as I'm more motivated to see this 52 project through because it gives me more chance to get feedback on my work. This feels more satisfying for me. :)

i think to be honest you are right you have to do all 12 to make the monthly compatition worthwhile. I am finding the 52 much more fun :D

Well I've made it to week 3 :D

Over the last 10 years or so I've learnt many things.When I had to retire as a lecturer because of MS I decided to train as an acupuncturist as the treatment had helped me such a lot and it was also a way for me to help other people in a similar situation. It was a 4 year course and I really enjoyed it, even though it was a struggle at times (for example I had to do my exams on a computer as I can't write very much or very clearly as my hands tire very quickly, and I had to sit on the floor with a beanbag and cushions as I can only sit for short periods of time at a table).

Anyway, I loved the whole experience and it did indeed allow me to help a lot of other people (or so they tell me :)). I finally gave it up last year as I didn't have enough energy, and I couldn't predict how I would feel on a particular day, so I didn't think that was fair to my patients. :(

Fortunately, just before this, I had been introduced to the world of photography and this has filled the void left after having to give up acupuncture. So I started a whole new learning process, one which is going to last a long time I hope. I certainly didn't think I was a creative person but photography seems to have opened up a whole new area in my brain. So much so that I've just finished my first exhibition and I sold 11 pictures :woot::woot:

Alongside this I've been learning Spanish for 5 years now (Well, as I live in Spain it seems only fair!) and I've got a few Spansh friends now as a result of this. MS can making learning difficult though. It affects short term memory, concentration and even eyesight at times, but, as I've said before, I'm the boss :D and if you look carefully at the picture you might even see the book what I wrote.......:LOL::LOL: which was about how to help others learn.

LEARNING

IMG_3669_edit_sm.jpg

Back