Bruno _ Dog

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

This is Bruno.

About 2 months ago our Daughter rang up to say she had found this dog running amongst the traffic in the City centre Manchester.

After weeks of trying to find his owner using every channel possible it looks like he's here to stay. We have no idea how old he is. The vet couldn't shed any light on that either. Not sure of his background at all it's as if he as never been played with he his totally expressionless. We get a tail wag when the lead comes out. Other than that we get a very sorrowful face at all times.

Food is another story we can't get him to eat much at all he seems to love bread more than anything and sausages seldom can we get him to eat any dog food at all.

All that said he his no trouble in the house apart form his 3 walks per day he likes to keep himself to himself. He won't come and sit/lay in the lounge in the evenings whilst we watch TV he just gets up on the sofa in the other room and sleeps. We have the door open so we can see him at all times.

On walks he always has is head to the floor sniffs and stops continually. Ears back and down. With him being deaf we can't let him off the lead as we can't get his attention. ( Found that out the hard way )

Getting a descent photo of him as proved very difficult too so I were pleased to capture this one especially with his ears up.

Any critique feedback would be more than welcomed.

Gaz

UWv1bjJ.jpg

He's a beautiful dog. Good on you and your family for giving him a home. Hopefully he'll become more sociable given time.

Is he actually deaf, you don’t seem to have mentioned that in the description except saying he is unresponsive?

@Bobsyeruncle Yes that’s what I mean, “him being deaf” is sort of added as an aside rather than a medical condition. Vet was mentioned but not in connection with deafness.

Reason I asked is that I’ve met people who’ve said their dog was deaf (two occasions) yet they could clearly hear the sound of my dog whistles (non ‘silent’ type).

Last edited:
Lovely looking chap.

Great that you/your family have given him a home and a chance at a better life (y)

He'll come round, he may have had a rough past, my parents dog is a rescue took 14mths before she became part of the family as she just hid away.

Good luck to you all! And thank you for taking him in!

As for crit on the photo .. (y)

Edit- just a thought on the food, may be he's come from a home that was struggling to afford to keep him and he was fed on cheap food and may be he doesn't know what proper food is?

Last edited:
2 months is a fair time but maybe not long enough. Obviously some dogs never get over past experiences but sometimes it just takes a long time.

My present is a working terrier that someone lost on the North York Moors and turned up in a village where people spent days trying to catch her. Once she was caught up she was fine and friendly and was in good clean condition and about 9 months old, still quite puppyish. Her owner could not be found and eventually I heard about her on a ‘grapevine’ and having just recently lost my previous terrier took her on.

Reason I am writing this. When I got her home for months she did not bark nor did she ever jump up on anything though seemed to have no physical abnormality. However, eventually she just did both those things. Whether it was caused by trauma or training I have no idea.

He's a beautiful dog. Good on you and your family for giving him a home. Hopefully he'll become more sociable given time.
Hope so. Don't get me wrong he his no trouble what so ever. He actually barked this morning as my Wife were exercising and he was waiting to go on his walk.
He never done that before.
Is he actually deaf, you don’t seem to have mentioned that in the description except saying he is unresponsive?
Hiya. The Vet agreed he was deaf or if not very hard of hearing. He reckoned it would cost quite a bit of money to find out for sure. We already spent close on £500 at the Vets so I don't think we'll be checking any further. We seem to think he catches the odd noise or bang but we also think it maybe vibrations of furniture or flooring that alerts him.
@Bobsyeruncle Yes that’s what I mean, “him being deaf” is sort of added as an aside rather than a medical condition. Vet was mentioned but not in connection with deafness.

Reason I asked is that I’ve met people who’ve said their dog was deaf (two occasions) yet they could clearly hear the sound of my dog whistles (non ‘silent’ type).
Was thinking of trying those silent types he don't move to the normal whistle sound.
As for crit on the photo .. (y)

Edit- just a thought on the food, may be he's come from a home that was struggling to afford to keep him and he was fed on cheap food and may be he doesn't know what proper food is?
Thanks Gavin.

The train of thought all seems to point to Bruno being a homeless persons dog hence loving bread but like you say a family thats struggling could also be true.
Daughter spent days in the town centre checking all the homeless folks haunts, fliers up, dogs home, facebook pages. All to no avail.
2 months is a fair time but maybe not long enough. Obviously some dogs never get over past experiences but sometimes it just takes a long time.

My present is a working terrier that someone lost on the North York Moors and turned up in a village where people spent days trying to catch her. Once she was caught up she was fine and friendly and was in good clean condition and about 9 months old, still quite puppyish. Her owner could not be found and eventually I heard about her on a ‘grapevine’ and having just recently lost my previous terrier took her on.

Reason I am writing this. When I got her home for months she did not bark nor did she ever jump up on anything though seemed to have no physical abnormality. However, eventually she just did both those things. Whether it was caused by trauma or training I have no idea.
That's very encouraging Richard thanks for stopping by with your experiances it helps greatly.
Good on you, a lovely looking dog and a great image !
Thank you very much. I was pleased to get this.

Gaz

Was thinking of trying those silent types he don't move to the normal whistle sound.
I was surprised about the high pitched whistle since it’s usually the high notes that go first in humans but I don’t want to raise false hopes.

What a stunner! I've rescued a few in my time and a big thing that helps is to just get on the floor with them. Even if he's on the other side of the room (or in the other room), just sit on the floor and watch TV. Give him a glance now and then to let him know you're aware of him and you aren't bothered by him, but leave the choice to interact up to him.

He is probably depressed and unsettled. Either he's had a rough time until he met you and needs time to trust and relax, or it's quite possible he had a nice time, loved his previous owner and misses them. Either way, time is the only answer.

Oh, and for the love of god GET INSURANCE. Vet bills are no joke.

Hi @jimmyjamjojo

Great information thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.
It will help greatly.

Gaz

I think the photo is great.

Regarding food for him, our latest rescue, a 12yo ex-farm border collie, had a hard life and probably lived off scraps, was skin and bone when we got him, but he wouldn't eat any proprietary dog food, and I tried everything from disgusting Chappie to Barking Heads, Lily's Kitchen, etc (had to be wet food as he had hardly any teeth left from chewing at a wire cage). Then I tried raw food - minced chicken, beef etc - and he loved it, can't get enough. Give it a try. I guess it's a bit like roadkill and they always seem to like that!

Best wishes with Bruno, I hope the progress is positive. Cracking photo.
Hiya Richard

Thanks for stopping by. Yes he's doing well at the moment.

I think the photo is great.

Regarding food for him, our latest rescue, a 12yo ex-farm border collie, had a hard life and probably lived off scraps, was skin and bone when we got him, but he wouldn't eat any proprietary dog food, and I tried everything from disgusting Chappie to Barking Heads, Lily's Kitchen, etc (had to be wet food as he had hardly any teeth left from chewing at a wire cage). Then I tried raw food - minced chicken, beef etc - and he loved it, can't get enough. Give it a try. I guess it's a bit like roadkill and they always seem to like that!
Hi Lindsay

Sorry to hear about your dog's past life. He found a great home now.Hope he is doing well.

Bruno is eating a regular amount now. Still sausages bread and crumpets. He does like Bakers meaty cube things but only really as a last resort. Always some in a bowl, just in case he feels peckish.That said he is eating a fair amount now, and has put a bit of weight on. His strength and stamina is much improved too. So all positive.
Thanks for the info on diet.

Gary

Last edited:
Back