Buying a D300 at duty free

Edit My Images
No
Is this slightly insane...I'm off to Florida for two weeks next week and I'm taking my 200-400 with me (600 will be too impractical for this visit) and I'm half tempted to pick up a D300 at duty free on the way out from Dixons. If they have it in stock I should be able to get it for around £760 tax free. I've been toying with the idea of a second body for a while and the crop factor of the D300 will make it ideal for travel with the 200-400 (effectively giving me back a 600m).

If all else fails and I decide I don't want to keep the D300 I could always sell it on again and not take much hit thanks to saving on the VAT.

Or am I being stupid and irrational lol

Are you expecting any of us to put you off the idea? :naughty: :LOL:

Go for it, like you say, will be great for travel and a back up body is rarely wasted. If its of any help, if you ask them nicely, they will store the box and any paraphernalia you dont need and you can collect it from arrivals on your return. ;)

surely you can jsut buy one in the states at a greater saving

surely you can jsut buy one in the states at a greater saving
Not so sure with the current exchange rate lol

More importantly, if it breaks, I am not shipping back to the US! :)

Thanks for the tip on the box storage, good idea. I've actually just spoken toa friend of mine who said he'd be quite happy to buy it off me on my return if I decided not to keep it anyway, so that's good!

You know what I mean, if I use the crop mode of the D3 I'll be getting 6mp in the same space the D300 will be giving me 12mp. I 'know' I won't be getting a true 600mm...but, I will be getting more detailed images than if I cropped the D3 files to get the subjects the same size in frame!

:naughty: Just buy one....you know you want need to ;)

Fill your boots, If you get sick, you will defintiely get your money back on here, or more on e-bay!

Be careful, you may get stuck with VAT on the way back. HMRC are a willy bunch

I'm buying it in the UK before I go out, not whilst I'm over there :)

Hang on, I just realised you said Florida - I thought, though I could be wrong, that the flight had to be within the European Union?

edit: from their website - Passengers travelling to a destination outside the EU may be requested to pay tax on their purchase on arrival at their destination and/or if they bring them back when returning to the UK.

thats trick with the box might be your saving grace though.... :dunno:

Last edited:
hmmm that's interesting, thanks for pointing that out. That's a bit naughty that I might have to pay tax in a different country though, when all I'm effectively doing is buying it and taking it on holiday as it's the only way to buy duty free. It's not like I'm buying IN the states.

Anyway, they do a 'collect when you return' service to save you carrying your purchase on holiday, so I might take the camera and charger out the box and just ask them to keep the box aside for me. IF they can do that I should be ok - but given the info above that might not be an option.

Thanks again for pointing it out, much appreciated as I know what to maybe expect now!

This is the key
Hang on, I just realised you said Florida - I thought, though I could be wrong, that the flight had to be within the European Union?

edit: from their website - Passengers travelling to a destination outside the EU may be requested to pay tax on their purchase on arrival at their destination and/or if they bring them back when returning to the UK.
Since you are leaving the EU, you will get it tax free (as opposed to discounted by Dixons). That means you will have to pay tax when you return (or run the risk).

I am going to Glasgow in March, and on Ryanair's website, I found flights for £0.01p flying there, and £2.99p flying back - add on the taxes and fees, and it came in at just under £60, so, if the item(s) you wish to buy would involve you saving a lot more than £60, then taking a trip north might be an option?

Sorry to resurrect this thread but am travelling to the US next Monday and quite fancy the possibility of the D300 to upgrade from my D200 but checking the website they only seem to have a D700 available????? I am sure I have seen the D300 in the tax free shop before when travelling, does anyone know whether they only show some stock on the website and if I ring they may have the D300 still available?

you can email or call them to ask to get a specific model in stock for you, apparently not done it but know of someone who works for dixons

but i doubt youll find that stated on their website ;)

you can email or call them to ask to get a specific model in stock for you, apparently not done it but know of someone who works for dixons

OK might try, although gut feel is they will probably use the 'new' price of £1199 to start from rather than the Jessops price of £999 which now seems to be the pre-increase price in the UK so this may make it not worth doing anyway! I think I will just check at the store in Term 5 next week and see if they have one for under £850 which should be the old tax free price or thereabouts :shake:

Is the USA actually any cheaper?
I've had a google for camera shops in Miami as we will be staying there over night in 2 weeks and the price for a Canon 430EX II came out @ £229.

Is the USA actually any cheaper?
I've had a google for camera shops in Miami as we will be staying there over night in 2 weeks and the price for a Canon 430EX II came out @ £229.

£1200 for the D300 so no, exchange rate is a killer for buying in the US at the mo

Plus your warrenty will be with Nikon USA....

Not the greatest should you have a problem..

They do say that you can phone them for stock levels and actually reserve one. Apparently (from another thread) they will try to sell you memory cards at their vastly inflated prices. Just put them off by saying you'll think about it.

Be careful, you may get stuck with VAT on the way back. HMRC are a willy bunch

Freudian slip?:D

I have to say, each time I've come back, I've not had trouble. But I agree, the Nikon warranty for bodies not being international means it makes sense to buy over here, especially as the exchange rate's poor.

Last edited:
Anyway, they do a 'collect when you return' service to save you carrying your purchase on holiday, so I might take the camera and charger out the box and just ask them to keep the box aside for me. IF they can do that I should be ok - but given the info above that might not be an option.

I just gave them a call and you can get it for £851 but as for the info above the lady I spoke to said they cannot hold the box and bits and just let you take the camera????? TBH she was not the brightest and everything I asked she had to go and find out so I would really appreciate it if anyone can confirm if they do offer some sort of 'hold' service on the box and bits as she did kindly offer to throw them all away if I only needed the camera body :bang:

Seems £851 is a pretty good price though based upon the new prices elsewhere!

I'm in the market for a D700 and noticed Dixon's Tax Free are doing it for £1478. Am I right in thinking I'd have to fly to France or somewhere out of the country to get it for that price or can I do as 48thEagle suggests and fly to Glasgow?!

Last week Ryanair were doing some of their 'free' flights (came to around £11 after taxes), is it possible to buy a flight, go to dixons and leave without actually boarding the flight?

Might need to follow up on this, just checked the website and states on there they will home deliver any product bought in the tax free shop for £5.99 (small items) no conditions or anything so this could be the answer as no worries about customs coming back to UK or having to take bulky boxes either! Might give them a call shortly to check this is def as simple as it seems on the website!!!!!

Edit: Superb, after having to 'persuade' them that their website states all products can be home delivered (they initially insisted they were not doing home delivery at the moment!!!)

They confirmed that yes it was fine (no matter where you are travelling to!), put one by and can pay and confirm home delivery info when I travel next week for just £5.99 extra :woot:

Last edited:
Well my excitement was shortlived, had a call back from Dixons at T5 to advise me they cannot sell me a D300 as they have instructions from Head Office not to sell any D300s.

Sounded like a pile of poo to me so just spent 20 mins on phone to cust services of Dixons who spoke to HQ and advised me that Dixons have removed the D300 from sale as it is a discontinued model!!!!!!! Thought sounded like rubbish too but on checking normal Dixons online it appears there is no D300 available to buy anymore just the grip.

I'm in the market for a D700 and noticed Dixon's Tax Free are doing it for £1478. Am I right in thinking I'd have to fly to France or somewhere out of the country to get it for that price or can I do as 48thEagle suggests and fly to Glasgow?!

I don't believe you can get tax-free for flights within the UK.

Last week Ryanair were doing some of their 'free' flights (came to around £11 after taxes), is it possible to buy a flight, go to dixons and leave without actually boarding the flight?

You would need to leave the departures lounge and get back into the main airport. As I don't think there is an actual exit for this purpose, you may have to go via some sort of security where your purchase would be spotted.

thats trick with the box might be your saving grace though.... :dunno:

post the box back to yourself from the states. its worth nothing, put a value of $1 as thats how much it worth :)

I just gave them a call and you can get it for £851 but as for the info above the lady I spoke to said they cannot hold the box and bits and just let you take the camera????? TBH she was not the brightest and everything I asked she had to go and find out so I would really appreciate it if anyone can confirm if they do offer some sort of 'hold' service on the box and bits as she did kindly offer to throw them all away if I only needed the camera body :bang:

Seems £851 is a pretty good price though based upon the new prices elsewhere!
Yep it was £851 when I went back to Florida again a couple of weeks ago. The time before that when I picked one up for £787 I just took it with me as I wanted to use it, then flat packed the box in my suitcase when I came home.

They confirmed that yes it was fine (no matter where you are travelling to!), put one by and can pay and confirm home delivery info when I travel next week for just £5.99 extra :woot:
Be very careful when you actually pick it up they don't go back on their word. I'd get the name of the person you spoke to so you can deal with them at the airport because once your there, in my experience they are quite clued up on what can and can't be held at the airport/delivered depending on where in the world your flying...either that or just prepare yourself for a potential argument in the shop lol

Best of luck though. I was thinking about getting another one (this time for myself) as I'm probably going back in March but by then the prices will be at the 'new' new levels so it will cost even more :puke:

You can buy from Dixons tax free even if you're travelling within the UK. I've bought a few bits and pieces from them with no problems.

They ask to see your boarding pass to confirm your flight and the only problem might be if the flight was cancelled.

I don't believe you can get tax-free for flights within the UK.

You would need to leave the departures lounge and get back into the main airport. As I don't think there is an actual exit for this purpose, you may have to go via some sort of security where your purchase would be spotted.

Apparently you can but I'm going to take Ryanair's offer of 1p each way to Dublin and going to head over there for a day or maybe overnight.

Anyone fancy coming along?! Dublin? Drink! Girls! ****!

Tax free prices now at new levels, the D700 has risen to £1652 TF with a RRP of 1899, not much choice and lenses very poor pricing e.g. 348 for a 70-300vr which is only a couple of pounds cheaper than online :(

Thats bonkers - thats more than I paid for my Day One order - £1679 from RGBTech, 23rd July.

Back