Buying from DigitalRev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave1 said:

" I haven't seen a lot to say ProCameraShop are all that good at customer service either (they are apparently very good at having negative feedback or reviews removed though).

I have seen this comment re removal of negative feedback on TP and also on
http://www.reviewcentre.com/

I would bet it's the same person commenting.

Can anyone back this up or is it just another negative comment that's 'out there' and left to fester ?

Roy

All you have to do is learn to google, it's just as easy as being a shill.

Update from me.

DR have offered to send a 2nd shipment as long as I promise in writing to return the first shipment if it eventually turns up (They're going to ask DHL to return it to HK once customs releases it afaik).

To be honest thats not a good idea - although its fairly typical of a grey importer - one item didnt get through so we'll try another one - trouble is if customs are investigating one importation they'll have your address on a watch list, and another attempt will get picked up and could get you into more trouble (you do not want HMRC deciding to audit your affairs - thats a real ball ache even if you are fully clean)

My view would be that as DR have failed to deliver the item to you as promised they should refund your money - then you can buy from someone who is weither a uk supplier or a grey importer who fulfils from a uk centre and handles the import themselves

To be honest thats not a good idea - although its fairly typical of a grey importer - one item didnt get through so we'll try another one - trouble is if customs are investigating one importation they'll have your address on a watch list, and another attempt will get picked up and could get you into more trouble (you do not want HMRC deciding to audit your affairs - thats a real ball ache even if you are fully clean)

My view would be that as DR have failed to deliver the item to you as promised they should refund your money - then you can buy from someone who is weither a uk supplier or a grey importer who fulfils from a uk centre and handles the import themselves

He could always accept the order, pay the import tax and admin fees and then submit the invoice to DR and take them up on their promise to repay it.

Anyone ordering from Hong Kong should have budgeted for the possibility of this happening.

Would I really be on some kind of watch list? I can't imagine customs are that well organized judging by the amount of fake tat that gets into this country. Although knowing my luck I will get stiffed!

He could always accept the order, pay the import tax and admin fees and then submit the invoice to DR and take them up on their promise to repay it.

Anyone ordering from Hong Kong should have budgeted for the possibility of this happening.

I had budgeted for getting nailed on the tax. On what I ordered it was still a saving over £150 on amazon prices etc if I had to pay the tax.

In that case just accept the order and pay the tax (and next time just pay the tax due anyway by buying from someone who actually pays it before fulfilment)

with regard to watch listing its hard to be sure but is it worth the risk - as i say if they decide to get in your face (like if multiple parcels give them the idea you are a real importer not just some guy buying a camera) they can be a real pain - a company i worked for was customs and excise auditted once and it was a total ball ache for all concerned. - for example do you still have receipts showing where you bought all your other camera gear , was any of it grey (tax not paid) , can you account for it all and so forth

Last edited:
In that case just accept the order and pay the tax (and next time just pay the tax due anyway by buying from someone who actually pays it before fulfilment)

The reason for the offer of another shipment is not to avoid the tax but to get me my camera faster. Currently DHL/Customs are saying it could be a month before the current package is released for delivery.

with regard to watch listing its hard to be sure but is it worth the risk - as i say if they decide to get in your face (like if multiple parcels give them the idea you are a real importer not just some guy buying a camera) they can be a real pain - a company i worked for was customs and excise auditted once and it was a total ball ache for all concerned. - for example do you still have receipts showing where you bought all your other camera gear , was any of it grey (tax not paid) , can you account for it all and so forth

All my old kit is UK bought either by myself or by my wife from WEX, jessops and amazon. I get your point though.

The reason for the offer of another shipment is not to avoid the tax but to get me my camera faster. Currently DHL/Customs are saying it could be a month before the current package is released for delivery.

What happens if the second one gets caught as well? You might end up with demands from DHL for both. They might still chase you for the admin charges even if the parcel is rejected and returned.

That is indeed a worry. Should have just bought it from Hdew instead in the first place. Teaches me for not doing enough research.

Well another phone call to DHL and they confirmed that customs currently are cracking down and that they have a huge backlog of electronic equipment that is awaiting clearance and it could be upto a month before it get's cleared for delivery.
Any update on your first order?

Still stuck in customs. They back tracked a bit on the 2nd order offer and wanted to wait a few more days so currently 12 days in and no camera. :(

ouch - i'd definitely be going down the no delivery equals refund please route

also if you paid by credit card it would be worth speaking to them (although if Drev use a third party to process your protections are a lot lighter than they'd be with a normal retailer)

(although if Drev use a third party to process your protections are a lot lighter than they'd be with a normal retailer)

Care to clarify?

If you pay by credit card you are protected, whether DR use a third party or not to process the payment

Care to clarify?

If you pay by credit card you are protected, whether DR use a third party or not to process the payment

No, you aren't.

As an example, you buy from someone using your CC, but they use Paypal to process the payment, technically there are 2 transactions, one to fund Paypal, the second is Paypal paying the vendor.

common misconception .. if you pay through a third party like paypal, googlecheckout , world pay etc then your section 75 rights don't apply - the credit card company may still help you , but they are no longer obliged to do so. (except for the other much lighter protections)

This isn't limited to grey import - its applies to any supplier who uses a third party to process payment... see here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases in the section are there any exemptions

Last edited:
No, you aren't.

As an example, you buy from someone using your CC, but they use Paypal to process the payment, technically there are 2 transactions, one to fund Paypal, the second is Paypal paying the vendor.

common misconception .. if you pay through a third party like paypal, googlecheckout , world pay etc then your section 75 rights don't apply - the credit card company may still help you , but they are no longer obliged to do so. (except for the other much lighter protections)

This isn't limited to grey import - its applies to any supplier who uses a third party to process payment... see here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases in the section are there any exemptions

Cheers Dave & Pete

Thats good to know

Much obliged

I paid with paypal a chunk of which was funds in my account from selling a load of stuff recently.

I have to be honest asking for a refund after 13 days is a bit cheeky. Most places that sell stuf fonline normally have 28 days as the delivery time even if next day is the norm. It is of course Drev's fault because of the way they label shipments, but it's alos mine for not doign enough research and an element of bad luck for being picked up by customs.

Sure I'm annoyed and I have my mates wedding to shoot on Saturday and it looks very likely my battered old trusty 400D will have to step up but I knew that buying grey meant an element of risk. I just thought it was a financial risk rather than a waiting for ever for it to arrive risk.

I paid with paypal a chunk of which was funds in my account from selling a load of stuff recently.

Watch your timings then, don't allow your dispute period to run out.

IIRC, you can open a non delivery dispute without actually asking for an immediate refund, I would probably consider opening the goods not received dispute around day 25-28.

fairy muff - ive got too used to the sort of service i get from mpb , order it today, arrives by morning post friday, if not sooner. (another reason why i prefer to buy uk second hand rather than grey if i can't afford uk new)

Still no camera, DR starting to go quite on me, 2nd friend's wedding tomorrow. Gutted to be honest.

Followed by a 180 from Digital Rev on the offer of a refund or 2nd shipment. Surprise, surprise.

Now followed by them offer a 2nd parcel IF i close the dispute first. Not playing that game as I have only opened a dispute not a claim. I've told them I will NOT close the dispute until I either have a package or a refund and that I will escalate it to a claim if I recieve neither of these in 14 days.

good for you

Well I just had a phone call from them stating that they can't issue a 2nd parcel with a dispute open as it puts the payment on hold on in their system. THey confirmed if I close the dispute a 2nd parcel will be sent straight out on Monday.

This seems plausable, IT systems can be very restrictive under circumstances that are not the norm, I should know, I work in IT.

I confirmed I would consider the offer over the weekend and get back to them Monday. I need to see where I stand with closing a dispute and then opening another one if I have to.

smells Like BS to me

They've already had their payment before they despatched the first parcel.

I'd stick to your guns and tell them that as you've said previously they've 14 days to get you either parcel or refund or you'll move to claim... and that if they indicate that they won't comply, or go silent on you then you'll move to claim straight away.

and if they try to call your bluff - show them that you aren't bluffing by escalating to claim.

(if you do it their way what are you going to do if the second parcel also gets stopped at customs ? - not to mention that you'll then be liable for two lots of import tax and vat )

Well I just had a phone call from them stating that they can't issue a 2nd parcel with a dispute open as it puts the payment on hold on in their system. THey confirmed if I close the dispute a 2nd parcel will be sent straight out on Monday.

This seems plausable, IT systems can be very restrictive under circumstances that are not the norm, I should know, I work in IT.

I confirmed I would consider the offer over the weekend and get back to them Monday. I need to see where I stand with closing a dispute and then opening another one if I have to.

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE!

If you do you cannot reopen it or open a new one.

Heather

Heather

that - and DR likely know that , which is probably why they seem to be trying to coerce you by withholding another attempt at delivery

Last edited:
If you do decide to take them up on the offer, at the VERY least, get them to confirm their offer in writing/email, rather than a phone conversation.

If it was me I would escalate to a claim and let Paypal deal with it.

You are not going to get it for when you wanted so you want a refund,yes?

By escalating, there is confirmation of a problem in writing but PLEASE don't tell me you paid with Paypal Gift.

Heather

If you do decide to take them up on the offer, at the VERY least, get them to confirm their offer in writing/email, rather than a phone conversation.

I do have it in writing but they seem to prefer discussing these things via email and not through the message options in the Paypal dispute which currently I am updating with quotes from their emails.

Thanks for all the advice. I clearly just need to hold firm and that the dispute will remain open until I either have a camera or a refund in 14 days.

Heather

I do have it in writing but they seem to prefer discussing these things via email and not through the message options in the Paypal dispute which currently I am updating with quotes from their emails.

Thanks for all the advice. I clearly just need to hold firm and that the dispute will remain open until I either have a camera or a refund in 14 days.

Whatever you do, take Heathers advice, do not even consider closing until you have a refund or the item. If you were to close they can laugh at you and leave you with nothing. Once closed, it cannot be reopened and all protection is lost.

Even getting it in writing means nothing, what are you going to do if they don't keep their word? Go to Hong Kong and sue them in the Hong Kong courts?

While the dispute is open you are in a position of power, they could have their Paypal account frozen or closed if they don't sort the problem promptly.

Also so things do not turn into a he said she said scenario tell them you will only communicate with them through the ebay messaging system and by no other means

Ebay tend to take no notice of messages/emails, and quotes thereof, outwith there messaging system

I didn't buy it through ebay, I bought it directly through their store but paid with paypal. However I take our point and will try and get them to communicate through the paypal dispute messaging system.

You're much better off having not bought through eBay, Dr 's eBay branch are shockingly poor, slow customer service, slow response, everything shipped to hk, never again, missed using the camera for my firsts birth because they were so slow and argumentative.

I've given them until 9th Septemeber to issue a refund or a 2nd shipment before I escalate it to a claim and I confirmed I will not be closing the dispute. They confirmed they won't be sending a further shipment and that it's now just a waiting game.

Edit: Thanks for all the advice BTW. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
I had a further chat with DHL today and they stated that HM Customs are actively seeking out deliveries from DigitalRev and holding them due to thier practice of under valuing packages. She says they have a lot of people who have been waiting for weeks and customs are showing no signs of releasing many of the packages.

I had a further chat with DHL today and they stated that HM Customs are actively seeking out deliveries from DigitalRev and holding them due to thier practice of under valuing packages. She says they have a lot of people who have been waiting for weeks and customs are showing no signs of releasing many of the packages.

Probably why ProCameraShop have disappeared as well, if anything they had even more of a name for false declarations, watch them reappear under a different name in a few weeks hoping to con HMRC for a bit longer.

I ordered 2 lenses in the last week both arrived yesterday without issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back