Buying from DigitalRev

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd expect them to pick up postage costs for goods faulty on receipt, or maybe a failure within a few days, but not after months of use, warranty or otherwise.

I would expect service the same as I got from Amazon. My Seagate Wireless Plus refused to hold any charge after just 5 months. Amazon sent me a replacement straight away and emailed a label so that I could return the faulty one to them at no cost to me.

Warranty is irrelevant. The law says that the retailer is responsible for the return postage of faulty goods. That's faulty within a 'reasonable period'. For a £1500 camera I would say that a 'reasonable period' for something like an electronics failure is closer to three years than to one.

Used them to buy my new camera, overall good service from them. Noticed they state on the packing the value is £37 and gift... if only that was true!

However had an issue with DHL saying they tried to deliver and saying no-one home, even though I buzzed him up (live in a flat). Ended up having to go to the depot to collect in the end.

Warranty is irrelevant. The law says that the retailer is responsible for the return postage of faulty goods. That's faulty within a 'reasonable period'. For a £1500 camera I would say that a 'reasonable period' for something like an electronics failure is closer to three years than to one.

If a retailer gets argumentative, they can always be referred to the following

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

Section 3.57 on page 27.

I don't disagree , but good luck enforcing that on a company based in HK

Don't think a Hong Kong based company will be bound by that.

My post is to do with today's posts, they reference HDEW which is supposed to be a legit UK retailer.

A mate of mine has just had to send a Nikon body back for repair bought from HDEW which cost him £26 but even if he doesn't get that back he will still be up on the deal compared to buying official UK.

I thought HDEW claimed to be a UK company, in which case they're bound by UK consumer law - which means they are responsible for postage costs of faulty items.

Hdew are a legit HK retailer , who ship to the uk (and have awarehouse here) - they are still HK based though

Hdew are a legit HK retailer , who ship to the uk (and have awarehouse here) - they are still HK based though

Yes, which means they should be obliged to trade in the way the link advises, and charging postage for the return of a faulty item is not allowed.

If they are trying to hide behind a HK address for consumer issues it makes them as bad as any other HK retailer.

Edit to add:

A quick search doesn't make HDEW look all that reputable at present, but they are registered as a UK business.

Business Overview

Hdew Cameras Limited is an Active, non trading business incorporated in England & Wales on 19th October 2010. Their business activity is recorded as Dormant Company. Hdew Cameras Limited is run by 2 current members. 2 shareholders own the total shares within the company. It is not part of a group.

The latest Annual Accounts submitted to Companies House for the year up to 31/10/2012 reported 'cash at bank' of £0, 'liabilities' worth £0, 'net worth' of £0 and 'assets' worth £0. Hdew Cameras Limited's risk score was amended on 03/07/2012.

Company Register

Status Non trading
Registered date 19/10/2010
Company number 07412635
Type Private limited with Share Capital
Country of registration GB

Company Accounts

Category Dormant
Date filed up to 31/10/2012
Next due date 31/07/2014
Year end date 31st October
Auditor Name Not provided
Annual Returns

Date filed up to 19/10/2012
http://companycheck.co.uk/company/07412635

Last edited:
Interestingly HDEW Cameras Ltd is a dormant/non-trading company.

Used them to buy my new camera, overall good service from them. Noticed they state on the packing the value is £37 and gift... if only that was true!

Interesting that what would be described as the 'legitimate' face of HK importing also appears to resort to the same tactics as everyone else to keep their prices lower than UK suppliers. Can/do DR supply VAT receipts?

Advertising arrangements have been questioned/terminated for similar tactics by smaller companies.

Last edited:

you are aware that you are liable for the import tax , and that its your responsibility to let HMRC know if the parcel is mislabelled aren't you ?

(D'rev would be liable for any trouble over the mislabelling , but you still have to pay the amount actually due)

Er, nope. They wouldn't be in any trouble at all. As you say, it's the importer's responsibility to ensure that all relevant taxes are paid.

actually not

from someone who knows what she's talking about on the last thread of this type

For a direct seller to buyer transaction from outside the EU, any misdeclaration of value, description of goods or HS Code is the responsibility of the shipper / sender if it's thier documentation that is being used for clearance. Any import duties payable are the responsibility of the receiver.

Ergo as i said Digital rev would be liable for the offence of misdeclaration, but the buyer is still liable for paying the correct level of import duty etc

I am close to ordering from them but some of these posts have put me off.. are the other grey import online shops like procamerashop and digitaland a better option because returns are within the UK? Their prices are about the same..

I've bought from Procamerashop a few times without any issues. I've also bought from Kerso and Panamoz without issues too.

I am close to ordering from them but some of these posts have put me off.. are the other grey import online shops like procamerashop and digitaland a better option because returns are within the UK? Their prices are about the same..

As a customer STILL waiting for them to take their fingers out of the orifice and actually do something about my faulty camera there is no way I would recommend them. Yes they are cheap, yes they deliver quickly, but in my experience after sales care does not exist and processing a warranty claim is a long and protracted process. I have been without a properly functioning camera for MONTHS.

Well I, for one, have definitely been put off buying from Digital Rev.

I was just about to order a lens before I saw this thread. I will buy from Procamerashop now instead. I appreciate the content Digital Rev produces but ultimately it's customer service that drives purchases..

Last edited:
I've seen too many reports of poor service from DigitalRev and won't be buying my 70D from them later this year. They have a presence on here but I haven't seen any response from them to Ricardodaforce's complaints in various threads. I'm sure that any company that cared about its customers and its reputation would have provided some response by now...

Add me as a second customer to be put off buying from Digital Rev.. was just about to order a lens before I saw this thread. I will buy from Procamerashop now instead. I appreciate the content Digital Rev produces but ultimately it's customer service that drives purchases.

That seems a bit like frying pan/fire, I haven't seen a lot to say ProCameraShop are all that good at customer service either (they are apparently very good at having negative feedback or reviews removed though).

Why not use someone with an actual UK base if you find it essential to buy grey stock?

HDEW and Kerso both have real UK premises and will supply a vat receipt that should be acceptable for UK warranty purposes (or be answerable to UK law and consumer protection if things go wrong).

Add me as a second customer to be put off buying from Digital Rev.. was just about to order a lens before I saw this thread. I will buy from Procamerashop now instead. I appreciate the content Digital Rev produces but ultimately it's customer service that drives purchases.

I think you'll find if there are any issues, they won't be as helpful as other foreign sellers, inc DR.
Defo wouldn't be in my top 10 reputable sellers.

Thanks - this whole grey import thing is all relatively new to me. Originally just saw prices less than other places but now I read you may have to pay import duty and VAT on the list prices they end up being more expensive and don't carry the same warranty!

kerso and hdew do the importing themselves and supply to you from uk warehouses - providing a valid VAT receipt which also satisfies the requirements for manufacturer warranty and cash back

they are still grey importers as they source from overseas (kerso from the US and Hdew from HK ) which is how they beat uk price even with tax paid

they can't of course beat the prices of those that despatch direct from HK and lie about parcel value to evade correct duties - but personally I wouldn't trade with someone who engages in such practice anyway

they can't of course beat the prices of those that despatch direct from HK and lie about parcel value to evade correct duties - but personally I wouldn't trade with someone who engages in such practice anyway

Which is a sensible decision, as those who do buy products with the value faked to avoid tax are the ones breaking the law.

Can't speak about hdew but kerso receipts are accepted by canon for warranty and cpn membership. I'd imagine hdew are the same. That isn't true for other hk importers mentioned.

I actually bought a lens from Kerso a number of years ago as saw lots of people recommended him on the forum and it did have a 1 year warranty (not that I needed to make use of it). I now realise it was a supplier warranty rather than one from the UK manufacturer - Panasonic.

I see he now has a site and it clearly states which brands are not covered by a local manufacturer warranty. Olympus gives a world-wide warranty but the Panasonic gear only comes with the US warranty so he needs to cover it in the UK. I assume the difference between a reputable supplier warranty and a manufacturer warranty are fairly insignificant?

I assume the difference between a reputable supplier warranty and a manufacturer warranty are fairly insignificant?

With a manufacturer warranty you don't have to pay for the repair yourself then wait to be reimbursed by them....

you don't always with third party warranties either ... sometimes they''ll sort it, sometimes they replace the item and so forth

I ordered a 60D, Sigma 18-50 and a spare battery from DR on Omnday last week. It's been held in customs since friday and today I had a phone call from DHL who wanted my email address to send me some questions. I got the email asking for details on what wa sin the package, who supplied it and a copy of th einvoice for the purchase.

Am I now going to get smacked with a duty invoice and does anyone know if I'll have any luck getting this back of DR?

I'm not going to bitch and moan about it as I knew that buying a grey import could possibly go a bit sour, I just want to knwo if anyone else has had the same issue and how it panned out?

Cheers. :)

I ordered a 60D, Sigma 18-50 and a spare battery from DR on Omnday last week. It's been held in customs since friday and today I had a phone call from DHL who wanted my email address to send me some questions. I got the email asking for details on what wa sin the package, who supplied it and a copy of th einvoice for the purchase.

Let us know how much they invoice you for and how it goes getting it back from DR.

Will do. I'm hoping it just get's invoiced to DR but somehow I doubt I'm that lucky.

Will do. I'm hoping it just get's invoiced to DR but somehow I doubt I'm that lucky.

That isnt going to happen i'm afraid - you are the importer , so its you thats liable for the duty

alledgedly Digital rev will refund you -It will be interesting to see if they actually do - but you will need to pay up front

I suspected as much. We shall see!

Just wish it would hurry up as I want to get out and shoot with the new camera. I'm like a kid in the run up to Christmas.

Am I now going to get smacked with a duty invoice and does anyone know if I'll have any luck getting this back of DR?

Why not email DR and ask them what they want you to do? That way they can't complain afterwards.

On their site's T&C's it says;
The price for the goods shall, unless otherwise agreed, be the price set out on the dispatch confirmation. The price for the goods quoted on the website shall be exclusive of all costs of carriage and insurance and applicable import Tax/VAT/GST and duty which the buyer shall pay in addition. Shipping and insurance costs are calculated at checkout. For some countries, the price for the goods quoted on the website includes a Import Handling Charge. If such charge is included in the price quoted, we'll 1) display a notice when you mouse over the price as well as on the basket/cart page notifying you the amount of Import Handling Charge included, and 2) have courier company bill any import tax, duty and clearance charges to our account up to 200% (Say "Two Hundred Percent") of the amount of the Import Handling Fee paid.

When you `mouse` over the price on site, it says No import tax/duty to pay.
Any import tax/duty will be billed directly to us

So you should be OK?

Well another phone call to DHL and they confirmed that customs currently are cracking down and that they have a huge backlog of electronic equipment that is awaiting clearance and it could be upto a month before it get's cleared for delivery.

Bought the camera for shooting some friends weddings but sadly looks like it won't arrive in time for any of them. Not usre I'll be using DR for anything again unless it's a purchase that I don't need for a specific reason. Saved a bunch of cash but for what, I won't have it for the events I actually bought it for.

Well another phone call to DHL and they confirmed that customs currently are cracking down and that they have a huge backlog of electronic equipment that is awaiting clearance and it could be upto a month before it get's cleared for delivery.

Bought the camera for shooting some friends weddings but sadly looks like it won't arrive in time for any of them. Not usre I'll be using DR for anything again unless it's a purchase that I don't need for a specific reason. Saved a bunch of cash but for what, I won't have it for the events I actually bought it for.

Have you contacted DR when I ordered my camera was held, I contact DR it was delivered the very next day, still 2 days before the estimated delivery

Dave1 said:

" I haven't seen a lot to say ProCameraShop are all that good at customer service either (they are apparently very good at having negative feedback or reviews removed though).

I have seen this comment re removal of negative feedback on TP and also on
http://www.reviewcentre.com/

I would bet it's the same person commenting.

Can anyone back this up or is it just another negative comment that's 'out there' and left to fester ?

Roy

Update from me.

DR have offered to send a 2nd shipment as long as I promise in writing to return the first shipment if it eventually turns up (They're going to ask DHL to return it to HK once customs releases it afaik).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back