Buying from EU

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm considering buying a Buteo photo hide and it appears I will need to purchase from the EU. Can I ask if anyone has bought anything from the EU recently and did the transaction go smoothly. In this instance the list price is £110 so my understanding is no additional VAT is due

Any advice appreciated

I've found my recent experiences very hit and miss post rule changes. Delays to delivery are frequent and I've been hit with large import duties at least 50% of the time.

I've bought many things from the EU since the new VAT rules came into force. It really depends on the retailer - some are more clued up than others. But I've had no problems. All my purchases have been from large companies that are VAT registered, so as far as I remember, VAT was charged on all purchases regardless of value and collected at the time of sale by the retailer. I've had no issues with demands from any UK delivery agent for VAT and "handling" charges if that is what you are worried about.

I've found my recent experiences very hit and miss post rule changes. Delays to delivery are frequent and I've been hit with large import duties at least 50% of the time.

Due to Brexit my purchases from the EU have dropped by about 95% but I've not yet been hit with import charges. Last one was this week, a lens from Belgium. No tax charged by eBay or by HMRC. Been lucky but it's rather hit and miss.

Don't forget that EU sellers should deduct their local VAT when selling to UK customers before charging you so that you avoid paying at both ends. Not all sellers do this unless you ask them to.
EU sellers deduct VAT at the UK rate on goods under £135 destined for the UK.

EU sellers deduct VAT at the UK rate on goods under £135 destined for the UK.
Just to clarify, I interpreted the guidance for goods under £135 the seller would account for the UK VAT but for over £135 the overseas VAT would be deducted but I have to pay the UK VAT to the courier.

For example item costs £100 plus £20 VAT I would pay the seller £120 with no further charges.

Have I misunderstood this ?

Just to clarify, I interpreted the guidance for goods under £135 the seller would account for the UK VAT but for over £135 the overseas VAT would be deducted but I have to pay the UK VAT to the courier.

For example item costs £100 plus £20 VAT I would pay the seller £120 with no further charges.

Have I misunderstood this ?
Under £135 you would be correct. Over £135 you may become liable for fees other than VAT (import duty, handling fees etc)

The key thing is that the declared value of it for customs should be net of tax or it can be over the £135 threshold and you will get stung for UK VAT after already paying EU VAT and they will work it out from the gross total too.
It is not that difficult but if they once do an incorrect charge there will be admin fees you won't get back even though the incorrect fee will eventually be refunded if you claim it - might take about 2 months

I ordered an item from TomTom UK. They had the item sent from The Netherlands so the carrier was demanding an additional £50 to cover import charges and VAT. I refused to pay and the item was not delivered. Arguments went on for weeks with Tom Tom who eventually instructed the carrier to deliver the item. The Courier then sent me a threatening demand for the money and would increase this if not paid with a week. I made it clear to Tom Tom that I would start court proceedings against them for breach of contract. They contacted immediately and asked me to pay the courier but Tom Tom would immediately refund the amount to my account which they did. This was not a case of me ordering an item from the EU. From what I hear a lot of companies are trying this on. By advertising items for sale in the UK price inc VAT, they cannot later claim any import charges from the customer as they have already contracted to deliver at their advertised UK price. If they run out of stock, it is their problem not the customers.

Dave

Back