Buying grey imports

Camera has arrived (promptly) with a "Commercial Invoice" declaring goods worth £127. I can only assume that somebody else has received my Invoice (for a 7D MKII) by mistake...

and as the importer you are now legally responsible for the potentially deliberate misdeclaration of value. If they are one of those who also guarantee to pay all fees , you could (and legally should) voluntarily declare the true value to HMRC and then pay the outstanding duty - which you can then reclaim (except that a well known retailer never did get back to me confirming if there gurantee refund of fees would apply in this situation)

Camera has arrived (promptly) with a "Commercial Invoice" declaring goods worth £127. I can only assume that somebody else has received my Invoice (for a 7D MKII) by mistake...

Or............ maybe that's the true value of a canon? :D

;)

10/10 for Panamoz for me... took 3 days from China no Import nothing saved 100s
Full Olympus Warranty minus i think 4 months...

Purchased from both HDEW and Portus Digital. Both excellent customer service, very quick delivery and massive savings.

Tax paid ?

Why don't all the holier than thou peeps in this thread just just shut up ,I cannot see a valid argument H.dew supply at a good price ,they offer extended warranties ,exemplary service in case of a product problem and supply a proper VAT invoice on request ,if they can do it and stay in business for 20 years then so can others .anything else is pure jealousy .
The only losers in a argument like this would be the prospective customers of the above named company, if to much bad mouthing causes them to lose trade ,some of the replies in this thread are already on the verge of being libellous . The simple answer is if you choose to use them as we have in the past and your happy then carry on ,we as a family will .if not and I have yet to see one valid complaint then don't buy from them

Why don't all the holier than thou peeps in this thread just just shut up ,I cannot see a valid argument H.dew supply at a good price ,they offer extended warranties ,exemplary service in case of a product problem and supply a proper VAT invoice on request ,if they can do it and stay in business for 20 years then so can others .anything else is pure jealousy .
The only losers in a argument like this would be the prospective customers of the above named company, if to much bad mouthing causes them to lose trade ,some of the replies in this thread are already on the verge of being libellous . The simple answer is if you choose to use them as we have in the past and your happy then carry on ,we as a family will .if not and I have yet to see one valid complaint then don't buy from them

That's all very well Jeff, I would agree but for their T&C statement that the buyer is the importer, surely it's simple enough to take that down after having it brought to their attention by at least two people in this thread ... why state it if it isn't true?
No one as far as I can see is questioning their service or warranty, only the detail behind the sale ... I questioned it and the reply (above for all to see) just seems to me to be a fudge, why? :)

Bad mouthing to some, information to others, I guess.

The only losers in a argument like this would be the prospective customers of the above named company, if to much bad mouthing causes them to lose trade

If it wasn't for information & conversations on sites like this, so-called UK companies would still be trading & lying to us. eg Procamerashop, Big Norman etc.

Bad mouthing to some, information to others, I guess.

If it wasn't for information & conversations on sites like this, so-called UK companies would still be trading & lying to us. eg Procamerashop, Big Norman etc.
Yes that's true ,but to what avail ,they have a good reputation with a very low if any complaints ,my son uses them all the time with better treatment than high street dealers so what's wrong with them covering there backsides with legal jargon .and personally I had super service off of pro camera shop ,sorry they went in fact

Well I don't think anyone is complaining about the service in all fairness. I think we are all agreed they provide a good service, if you read the thread fully you would understand that.

But I do take offence to the morality police, they get a bit overzealous sometimes.

But I do take offence to the morality police, they get a bit overzealous sometimes.

You don't think a customer of HDEW should be able to clarify whether or not he/she is an importer of the goods, as stated on their website?

No @gramps, what you raised is a fair point. What I don't think members of the forum should be doing is enquiring of another member whether or not tax has been paid.

We aren't the tax inspector!

Its the same old zealots rehashing their same old holier than though attitudes. If you don't like grey imports don't buy them, simples! Obviously there are many people that do !
There's so much information on this forum about the pros and cons of buying grey that people can make up their own minds. You pays your money and you makes the choice!

Its the same old zealots rehashing their same old holier than though attitudes. If you don't like grey imports don't buy them, simples! Obviously there are many people that do !
There's so much information on this forum about the pros and cons of buying grey that people can make up their own minds. You pays your money and you makes the choice!

The OP said; "Since they've already been imported, there's no more tax to be paid. What are your thoughts and experiences ?"

totally agree if you wanna pay 2800 for a D810 with lens in the UK your free to do so, but me id much prefer to pay 1800 same camera have a 3 year backed Chinese warranty like Panamoz give you and save that 1000 in the bank, i can always argue the toss if it ever breaks....

No @gramps, what you raised is a fair point. What I don't think members of the forum should be doing is enquiring of another member whether or not tax has been paid.

end of the day I don't care whether anyone pays their taxes or not ... that is as you say between you/them and the taxman

but if someone is going to say "XYZ company offer great value /massive saving etc" then that's only useful if all the pertinent information is included - its easy to offer 'great value prices' if the goods are smuggled and your buyer assumes all the risk if you are caught out, but not every buyer will want to take that risk if they are aware of it, it is much harder to offer great value if you are paying all your taxes so if anyone finds a grey retailer who is fully legit but still great value the full story is definitely worth telling

Even with grey importing there is a sliding scale of price versus risk and service - which is why the more reputable companies like Hdew generally cost more than those you find in the dark recesses of ebay where every trade is a gamble as to whether you'll get anything at all.

dodgy dave* down the dog and duck offers prices that not even grey importers can match.... but his goods are mostly stolen, he only takes cash , and you risk being done for receiving if you trade with him (see how the second part puts a rather different spin on the first)

*for legal reasons i'd note that this individual is fictitious and any resemblance to any one called dave dealing in stolen goods in any public house is purely coincidental

Last edited:
it's scary, and things can go wrong - but I have never had a problem - but there are plenty of cases where problems have arose - but for the savings made i think its worth the risk

*for legal reasons i'd note that this individual is fictitious and any resemblance to any one called dave dealing in stolen goods in any public house is purely coincidental

** For the sake of completeness I should add there are other pubs to buy (allegedly) stolen goods from, not just the afore mentioned Dog & Duck.

** For the sake of completeness I should add there are other pubs to buy (allegedly) stolen goods from, not just the afore mentioned Dog & Duck.

*** and neither I nor Tp are endorsing or suggesting the purchase of stolen goods, and anyone who chooses to do does entirely at their own risk

Back