Calling All Runners - Help Needed

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Not long until Xmas and the wife has been dropping hints. She has got into distance running over the past 18 months and I have figured out she is after a "running watch". "Integrated GPS" has also been mentioned. I have no interest in running and have no idea where to start looking. Does anyone here have any experience with running watches, where to get them, and any recommendations you may have.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Iain

You generally can't go far wrong with a Garmin. They have a wide range on offer from the basic and relatively cheap to more complex Triathlon capable models (XT's). There customer service is good both in and out of warranty too.

Their latest Forerunner models are the 620 and 220 which are unfortunately both on exclusive periods from www.sweatshop.co.uk. This is unfortunate as Sweatshop are generally quite expensive.

The Garmin Forerunner FR10 is about £80 from Amazon but to be honest if your wife has been running for 18 months she may find it just too basic.

The Forerunner 220 (if you can stretch to it) may be a better bet. £220 or £250 (from Sweatshop) depending on whether you want the Heart Rate Monitor strap or not.

Alternatively, the older FR210 can be had for around £155 on Amazon with a HRM strap.

All these are GPS watches by the way.

Have a look at DCRainmaker for reviews.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, will have look at the FR210 as the 220 is a wee bit out of budget! I asked her what was wrong with using the apps on her phone but was swiftly met with a torrent of excuses (HRM being among them). Will play it safe and do what I'm told!

Thanks a lot, will have look at the FR210 as the 220 is a wee bit out of budget! I asked her what was wrong with using the apps on her phone but was swiftly met with a torrent of excuses (HRM being among them). Will play it safe and do what I'm told!

If you are wearing your phone on a arm band then checking your pace or distance is a right pain. Just glancing at your wrist is much easier.

My wife and a lot of our friends use the Garmin forerunner 305. I know this model has been superceded, but look for a model which as actual buttons rather than just the bezel to press as I know people have been getting frustrated with those versions

My wife and a lot of our friends use the Garmin forerunner 305. I know this model has been superceded, but look for a model which as actual buttons rather than just the bezel to press as I know people have been getting frustrated with those versions

I started with a 305 and my wife is still using it. As you say, discontinued now. I got a 310xt after that and to be honest I was never that impressed with it, compared to the 305 the satellite lock was always a bit flaky and the rubber covered buttons wore quite badly. I'm using a 910xt now and while I love it, it is big (thick) on the wrist. If you don't cycle and swim also then a lot of the features are superfluous.

Garmin 305 user here, wouldn't be without one now though as said it's an obsolete model.
If I ever leave it at home for a run or ride I feel like my arm has been cut off! :D
I can't advise on any of the current models but I think I'd choose Garmin again if I ever needed another, everyone I know who's dealt with their customer service has only ever sung their praise. ;)

Maybe Mrs. IndiaBravo has an idea of which one she would like...

Dropping hints is all well and good...

I'm sure Mrs. Indiabravo does, but as she's not come right out and told me she wants one there is still the element of surprise there on Xmas morning and don't want to spoil it by asking her.

Back