Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yessss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

85mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.8!!!!

i've always said they should make them, i don't care if they are DT as i'm going to get them. i will even get the 50mm f1.8 so i have a nice three lens selection.

Perhaps it's just so they've got something to match the focal lengths that Canikon offer, even if it doesn't match the aperture.

Didn't know about that. We'll have to see what this one comes out at but I guess they're trying to offer things for different depths of pockets.

i can understand the 85mm f2.8 . not everybody can afford or need f1.4 . I just hope that it's going to be great. only problem is , it sounds like they'll have no more than 5 iris blades due to the size etc.

I would have thought a Tamron 90mm would be a better choice tbh - I'm not sure this new lens is cheaper either. It definitely will not be sharper. Seems very odd to make an f/2.8 when everyone else is 85mm f/1.8 at the budget end.

my original plan was to buy a wide angle prime (24mm), standard prime (50mm) and then get a nice telephoto prime (100mm macro) and then two zooms with variable aperture to keep costs down however now my plan might change to;

2 zooms, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and 55-200mm f4-5.6

35mm f1.8
50mm f1.8
85mm f2.8
100mm f2.8 macro

but as you say puddle duck, the tamron 90mm f2.8 macro could be a better bet.

85mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.8!!!!

The 85/2.8 is an intriguing choice as both Sony and Minolta have never made an 85mm lens other than the 85/1.4 before, and I would have expected them to go 85/2 to be closer to the Canikon cheapy cheapy options.

There was a Minolta 35/2 but the s/h prices of that have climbed over £500 (but will presumably fall again if the 35/1.8 turns out to be good).

Good to see Sony announcing something other than yet another entry-level DSLR body. A9xx and A7xx next please. Be even better if most of the retailers start selling lenses over the internet again.

Nikon made an 85mm f/3.5 macro lately which no one bought (it was only for crop cameras)

Seems to be silly season in Japan! There must be some focus group laughing their arses off that Sony fell for that one!!

Isn't the Tamron 90mm quite slow focussing though?

What makes you think an 85mm F2 would be cheap Luke?

Picked up a 2nd hand minolta hs3600 flash from my local camera shop. I've noticed it hanging around for months priced at £120. Have enquired about it before but they wouldn't commit to a lower price. Picked it up today for £70 because he was fed up with hanging about. :D

Picked up a 2nd hand minolta hs3600 flash from my local camera shop. I've noticed it hanging around for months priced at £120. Have enquired about it before but they wouldn't commit to a lower price. Picked it up today for £70 because he was fed up with hanging about. :D

3600hsd or 3600hs ?

boobster..i had the same problem when i was looking for a sigma 70-200 2.8,couldn't find one for love nor money and was told by sigma UK that i was looking at up to 3 or 4 months minimum before they had stock in from japan...so i bit the bullet and got the sony 70-200 G...a fantastic lens,expensive..yes,but worth the money IMHO.

DSC03724.jpg

I've had my 70-200 G for nearly a month now. Finding that it's at its sharpest when used around f/4.0 on the A550.

Full frame next!

PS.

4818380304_662a9ec94d_z.jpg

yup ! they're probably just waiting for somebody to buy it on impulse. but - know tog people, there's a small chance on that, especially if it's an accessory .

looks like Jessops are already taking orders for the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f2.8;

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77946/show.html

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77945/show.html

I'm still not convinced in these though, well mainly the 85mm f2.8 because i would have loved it to be at least f2 to be worthwhile purchasing.

I need a wide lens and a telephoto lens and these could have done the trick however I think I might just go with a 24/28mm f2.8/1.8 and a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro or Sony 100mm f2.8 macro.

hopefully the reviews will do these lenses justice and based on the sales of the Nikon 35mm f1.8 it seems that a wide aperture DX lens is actually a big hit, hopefully that luck will rub onto Sony.

I really hope they are good . I can't wait for the reviews . hopefully somebody from TP will buy at least one of them and share their thoughts.

well they come out in september and I need a review before December 11th (my birthday) to decide:D

heh ! my bd is 1st dec ! :D . I could only wish my gf would buy one, but then I would need to specifically tell her what to get, which wouldn't be that much fun for me ! :(

Well the 85 2.8 is better priced than I thought it would be. Is at another plastic lens? Looks cheap and nasty in the photos, but it's the photos it takes that count.

Just got this today (thanks to a very pleasant face to face trade via Dxyum)

Very nice lens - I was testing out a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM last week which I had to return as it was soft and hazy..Tamron is excellent.

Loved this in Nikon fit, but hated the slow focusing - on my A900, as its screwdriven focusing is nice and quick :)

If I decide to invest more in digital then that's probably the next lens I'd get.

Just got this today (thanks to a very pleasant face to face trade via Dxyum)

Very nice lens - I was testing out a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM last week which I had to return as it was soft and hazy..Tamron is excellent.

Loved this in Nikon fit, but hated the slow focusing - on my A900, as its screwdriven focusing is nice and quick :)

That's interesting and quite tempting.. I noticed slrgear.com tested this and were quite impressed. Would be interested to hear your opinions on macro results and bokeh? :)

No charge. I don't bother ringing anyone.. I just send it over with a nice letter.

Details here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment/file/33/1150907431333.pdf

My warranty on my a200 has expired so I think they will charge me and arm and a leg to get camera sorted. Unless I too attach a nice cover letter? Anybody had experience with Sony parts repaired when their item Is out of the warranty?

Also on a separate issue is the sony a200 meant to come with eyepiece cover?

Also on a separate issue is the sony a200 meant to come with eyepiece cover?

If you mean something to slide over the viewfinder to stop light leaking in on long exposures, then I think it should do. As I recall my A300 did have one, I attached it to the strap and wondered what it was for.

Anybody had experience with Sony parts repaired when their item Is out of the warranty?

The AF motor failed on my out of warranty A700 last year. It was a flat charge of £125 IIRC (I had to pay the postage to send it there obviously, but the postage to return it to me was inclued in the prce) and I had it back within a couple of weeks.

Personally it wouldn't surprise me if Sony stopped making FF sensors.

The D3X and the A900 didn't sell well - although Sony sold lots more A900 / A850 than Nikon sold D3X there isn't the volume sales to sustain an FF sensor fab.

I think we'll see one more full frame body - probably with Liveview, Video :)gag:) and it'll be 30 megapixels. That'll sell even less than the A900 and then Sony will exit quietly.

BTW the Nikon D700x won't be using a Sony sensor - in fact.. I suspect the reason that Nikon hasn't done a D700 with the D3X / A900 sensor is because they know Sony are canning the sensor..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back