Camera top dial coating coming off

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi.. I have a Canon 5d which I haven't used for a year or two, but got it out recently and found that the rubberised coating around the top dial is coming off and is a bit sticky when I touch it. I've heard of this before but does anyone know if there's a way to stop it. I've tried cleaning it with a lens wipe but it still feels the same afterwards.
Any suggestions..? Or is it just that the coating has expired and nothing much I can do about it..?

Thanks

I don't know about Canon but I have a Minolta Dynax 7 which had this problem and also a Tascam portable DAT recorder.

In both cases I was able to clean off the sticky coating with methylated spirit on a cotton bud.

In neither case did the cleaning remove the printing below the surface but it is a time consuming and tedious process.

I've had sticky Nikons and (IIRC) Samsung binoculars (among other things) and I've spent some time with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) removing the stickiness. I got a litre of IPA through the big river and that should last me a lifetime!

Rubberised coatings are a waste of time. They always go sticky after a while. A pain to clean off but once they're gone they're gone for good.

I have heard of people using a thick paste of Bicarbonate of Soda to deal with it.
Tried with Finish Line citrus bike degreaser on one item that had the sticky mess (Arctic Butterfly case)
It did work, but the smell was overpowering, so it went in the bin anyway.

My usual solvent is cigarette lighter fuel, works great on sticky label residue, but no idea about tacky rubber.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try something a bit stronger. I've got some acetone knocking about so I'll try that on a localised spot with a cotton bud.

I have heard of people using a thick paste of Bicarbonate of Soda to deal with it.
Tried with Finish Line citrus bike degreaser on one item that had the sticky mess (Arctic Butterfly case)
It did work, but the smell was overpowering, so it went in the bin anyway.

My usual solvent is cigarette lighter fuel, works great on sticky label residue, but no idea about tacky rubber.
My Arctic Butterfly case has gone the same way.

Back