Can you polish a turd??

Yes. I have a polished coprolite to prove the point!!!

That is rather good, Gav.

I'm no portrait photographer but that has tons of impact, very well done Gav.

Seriously though, nice job.
The only thing I would do is edit the... uhm... hairline so it looks a bit more even. It kind of looks like a double exposure along the top edge (ghosted image). I would also edit it to add just a touch more light in the right eye.

Seriously though, nice job.
The only thing I would do is edit the... uhm... hairline so it looks a bit more even. It kind of looks like a double exposure along the top edge (ghosted image). I would also edit it to add just a touch more light in the right eye.
Thank you, Steven, I didn't notice that, but I guess I'm use to seeing myself, the mix of pale head and heavy freckles doesn't look great :LOL:
I'll take a look, thank you for the feedback (y)

I'm bored...
It's not something you would likely see/notice in real life, so softening the effect doesn't seem "fake" to me.
JMO, it's worth what you paid for it.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm bored...
It's not something you would likely see/notice in real life, so softening the effect doesn't seem "fake" to me.
JMO, it's worth what you paid for it.
Thank you, Steven, really appreciate the edits (y) I will watch for this in the future.

I'll probably find a wig will be easier than the edit :LOL:

Nice, but at the moment the regions of highest contrast are the beard and the shadow of the spectacles. If you could move the light to calm those down it would drive more attention to the (camera) right eye. You could do it in post, of course, but better to get it right to begin with.

It'd be nicer if the light was just a little more forward, a little higher, perhaps feathered a smidge. That'd still have all the drama but look more complete.

Another thought: is this lit with a brolly? You could try a larger softbox.

Nice, but at the moment the regions of highest contrast are the beard and the shadow of the spectacles. If you could move the light to calm those down it would drive more attention to the (camera) right eye. You could do it in post, of course, but better to get it right to begin with.

It'd be nicer if the light was just a little more forward, a little higher, perhaps feathered a smidge. That'd still have all the drama but look more complete.

Another thought: is this lit with a brolly? You could try a larger softbox.
Thank you, Simon.

100% agree getting it right in camera is best, I'll keep chipping away.

I bounced a spot of light of a side wall, I have a 600mm round softbox with a grid now, I'll try again following your suggestions.

I'm thinking I may need a rectangle grid softbox. I'm limited on space and fighting around a bed :headbang::LOL: so the lighting may be too close even on lowest settings.

Thank you for the feedback.

Thank you, Simon.

100% agree getting it right in camera is best, I'll keep chipping away.

I bounced a spot of light of a side wall, I have a 600mm round softbox with a grid now, I'll try again following your suggestions.
I like bouncing lights this way but it can be difficult to control them, esp when going for precision stuff like in this pic.

I've occasionally had a dish firing across in front of the subject - flagged off the model with gaffer tape - before bouncing off a wall, to make the spot larger.

And sometimes it helps to diffuse the light before bouncing it.. or bounce it off a ceiling corner instead of a flat wall.. or off a white reflector..

I'm thinking I may need a rectangle grid softbox.
For most purposes there's not a heap of difference between rectangular and round. I do like strip boxes in a confined space though, they're really versatile.

I'm limited on space and fighting around a bed :headbang::LOL: so the lighting may be too close even on lowest settings.
Close is usually good - but in this case the fall off is a bit of an issue and a bit more distance would solve that.

For most purposes there's not a heap of difference between rectangular and round. I do like strip boxes in a confined space though, they're really versatile.
Sorry, I meant strip box (y)

Thank you again for the feedback :)

Why are you so resistant to doing the Peter Hurley thing? You have good bone structure and if you'd pushed your forehead toward the camera this would have had so much more power and impact. :)

This illustrates it. I have pretty poor bone structure, but I've made the most of it in this image by shoving my bonce towards the camera. You'd never know it though.

another-moody-selfie_23609468872_o.jpg

Why are you so resistant to doing the Peter Hurley thing? You have good bone structure and if you'd pushed your forehead toward the camera this would have had so much more power and impact. :)
I'll admit, after looking at this on the laptop, I kicked myself as it was the first thing I noticed!! But I had packed everything away and with the heat I didn't fancy gearing up again.. I'm going to have another go and hopefully remember everything next time...!
Might have to scribble notes on the bedroom wall so I can see them during my shoot :LOL:

I'll admit, after looking at this on the laptop, I kicked myself as it was the first thing I noticed!! But I had packed everything away and with the heat I didn't fancy gearing up again.. I'm going to have another go and hopefully remember everything next time...!
Might have to scribble notes on the bedroom wall so I can see them during my shoot :LOL:
Notes are a great idea! We always think we'll remember everything, but a checklist makes it a damn site easier. :)

Back