Canon 15-85 image quality

Edit My Images
No
Currently I have the 2 Canon kit lenses (18-55is and the 55-250is) I was looking at upgrading to the 15-85,it will give me a bit more on the wide end and a fair bit more reach to save swapping lenses so often.
Just wondering what the image quality is like? Is it a big jump up from the 18-55 and how does it compare to the 17-55 2.8?

I understand it's not a constant aperture like the 17-55 and not so great in low light,but I also own a Sigma 30 1.4,Canon 60 2.8 macro and flash so its not such a concern,I'm just thinking purely from a image quality point of view.

What I don't want to do is upgrade and then in the next year or so start upgrading again because the quality is not there,I know there is always a trade of in using zooms,but I just love the range this lens covers and at 15mm wide end I don't think I will ever need to go wider.

I currently have the 60D and have no plans of going full frame.

Cheers

I have the 15-85 which is almost a permanent fixture on my 550D. It is an excellent walkabout lens which given good shooting practice, is capable of producing images almost as good as my 24-105L. The IS is particularly good. In fact it continually surprises me with its good images at slowish shutter speeds.

I have heard that some folk have been unhappy with their copies and sharpness, but I can only say that mine is pin sharp, especially around F8.

I use this lens on my 60D and its a great lens, i mostly use if for general purpose like outside landscapes,seascapes,buildings,bridges that sort of thing and it very sharp and the 4 stop IS is brilliant and i can highly recommend it.

On the other hand from what i've read and seen the canon 17-55 f2.8 is very good lens and although a little bit bigger than the 15-85mm is slightly sharper and much better in low light so is more suited to portrats and indoor work.

I would say depends what you want it for? but eigher will be a big jump from the kit lens.

15-85 is one of Canon's best. The range is unrivalled and image quality is excellent. It tends to get a bit overshadowed because of the highish f/numbers, but if you can live with that, it's right up there with the best.

The lens can have good sharpness but has shocking purple fringing and distortion. While it has a good range I would never take one over a 17-55.

The lens can have good sharpness but has shocking purple fringing and distortion. While it has a good range I would never take one over a 17-55.

You can get rid that, or most of it, with the custom profiles in Canon's DPP software.

POAH said:

I have to agree, I haven't used the 15-85 but I do have the 17-55 and forget all the L snobs turning there noses up at it for it's build quality, ( I also have L glass btw and unless you are in tough environments the build quality is great) but the winning factor is the superb quality optics with that constant f2.8 and IS ! ( the nearest L equivalent is the inferior 17-40)

I use my 17-55 for critical stuff and use a Canon 18-135 IS as my walkabout lens and it can produce very creditable results.

Get yourself a used 17-55 then spend a few months putting away your sweetie money and then buy a used 18-135 ( better for your teeth as well, lol)

Cheers everyone for all your input,much appreciated.

I think I will look out for a secondhand 15-85,but they seem quite rare!

For what I want it for (general walkabout) it seems it will fit the bill perfectly,the 17-55 does have a big speed advantage,but seeing as they aren't to far apart image quality wise I think I can live with that as it will be used mainly outdoors.

artyman said:
That's because it is a good lens folk hang on to them.

Certainly seems the case! Haven't seen any on the forums and only a couple on the bay, oh well no rush just yet.

I bought one of these for my son to pair it with his 600D. Bought as a replacement for the kit lens.

I've tried it on my 50D and on his 600d. Slight chromatic aberration at the wide end, but then I get that with my 10-22 as well. To be honest, we import into lightroom so you just apply the lens profile and it sorts it.

It's sharp, has a good range for a walkabout lens and focusses quickly.
It would be nice if it wasn't f3.5-5.6 but apart from that it works brilliantly.

Certainly seems the case! Haven't seen any on the forums and only a couple on the bay, oh well no rush just yet.

Give kerso a shout. They are £600 new and less from Kerso. It's a good lens fro the money

Back