Canon 1D Miii for landscapes

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
As it says really, my angle has always been sports but I'm finding myself shooting more scenery and people followed by family portraits.

I would like to capture a sunrise shot for my ten year wedding anniversary coming up at the end of aug so that I can get it put onto canvas but I'm not sure the 1D would be the best weapon of choice ?

What's your views on this ???

Thanks in advance

Paul

A 1D Mk3 is an excellent camera and will take your sunrise shot.
Probably more important are lens and filter options.

Just an idea but have you thought about a sunrise/sunset shot with you and the missus in silhouette to make it a bit more personal?

In terms of lens, I have a 17-40L, 24-105L, nifty fifty, 100-400L !!!

I'm guessing the 17-40L would be my weapon of choice !

I like the idea of my wife and I but I may struggle as its going to be a surprise lol

Looks like the majority of your lenses are 77mm filter thread diameter.

Perhaps a cheap Cokin P kit with a 77mm ring?
I have the 17-40 and Cokin filters. You'll need the wide angle holder which holds one filter, the standard 3 filter holder will be in the frame at the shorter focal length.

I use my 100-400 for some landscape shots to change perspective.

All you need now is a landscape and the sun!

Thanks for the info, any chance in pointing me in the direction of a P cokin kit ?

Don't do filters lol

1D and 17-40 is a good landscape combination!

Filters are going to help, as is a tripod if you haven't got one already, with regards to the Cokin P kit, Cokin is the brand, P is the range so any good camera shop should have the, or try eBay etc.

Last edited:
You'll be fine, I moved from a 5D to the 1D Mk3 and was actually surprised to see it rendered the images a little better!

10MP is plenty and you have a great range of glass, the 17-40 f/4L will be perfect.

Can anyone recommend a shutter release for the 1D ?

I use a Canon RS-80N3 - does the job nicely!

Phil

I'd have thought your biggest problem will be fabricating an excuse to go out before the crack of dawn - what will your wife think???

Photodiva said:
I'd have thought your biggest problem will be fabricating an excuse to go out before the crack of dawn - what will your wife think???

Yes, well.....I'm working on that one lol

Can anyone recommend a shutter release for the 1D ?

I have an E Bay cheapy that works perfectly on Canon 40D's, 5D, 50D, 1 D3, my 1D4, 20D Etc etc! Do you want it (for a sensibly low price)?
With the 1 D3 you have 2 and 10 second timers for the shutter release so if you don't need to stand 40 yards away use these functions - I do. It is simpler and easier.
P.S. A friend of mine is getting excellent landscapes/sunsets with his 1 D3. No it's not designed for this work - but it can do some exceedingly nice A3 prints if you do your part.

johnf3f said:
I have an E Bay cheapy that works perfectly on Canon 40D's, 5D, 50D, 1 D3, my 1D4, 20D Etc etc! Do you want it (for a sensibly low price)?
With the 1 D3 you have 2 and 10 second timers for the shutter release so if you don't need to stand 40 yards away use these functions - I do. It is simpler and easier.
P.S. A friend of mine is getting excellent landscapes/sunsets with his 1 D3. No it's not designed for this work - but it can do some exceedingly nice A3 prints if you do your part.

Have already got one thanks, thank you anyway :)

Back