Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Hi all
what make and speed of CF Cards are you using with your 1 DX ? any recommendations appreciated. thanks.

Eddie, are you talking about 1DX mk1 or2?...your post wasn't clear......and is it CF (as stated in the post) or CFast?

Once you let me know, I'll tell you what I use......in detail but as far as make goes Lexar is my preferred option or alternatively Sandisc....not tried Transcend.

Cheers,

George.

Manual, set shutter speed, set aperture and use auto ISO , the switch was turned to on

Manual, set shutter speed, set aperture and use auto ISO , the switch was turned to on

In manual the rear dial reverts to shutter speed adjustment. Exposure comp adjustment needs to be selected from the Q button

In manual the rear dial reverts to shutter speed adjustment. Exposure comp adjustment needs to be selected from the Q button
Hi Gary
Thanks for the help,i have managed to change it
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 15.26.58.png

Eddie, are you talking about 1DX mk1 or2?...your post wasn't clear......and is it CF (as stated in the post) or CFast?

Once you let me know, I'll tell you what I use......in detail but as far as make goes Lexar is my preferred option or alternatively Sandisc....not tried Transcend.

Cheers,

George.
Hi George going to pull the trigger on a mk2 this week, cant you tell me what CFast cards you use?

Hi George going to pull the trigger on a mk2 this week, cant you tell me what CFast cards you use?

The Sandisc is the one (CFast) that came with the original offer, and it has the disadvantage of having to be (according to Sandisc) sanitised (they provide a programme for this if you Google it) every few uses.......Lexar don't have this requirement and so although I have a Sandisc from that offer, I've bought Lexar ones since then for that reason.
The Lexar I have is Lexar professional 3500x 525MB/s and found that (and indeed the Sandisc) fine.

As I said, the only other one I'd look at is the Transcend one, but no personal experience of them so can't comment.

George.

Reactions: zeb
George

either really CF not C Fast mostly for stills

Eddie, as I said above these are what I use for CFast ones, for CF just as fast as you can get for best performance, best to use UDMA 7 and again i use Lexar 1000x or faster...never had a problem even with big bursts.

George.

Just found the extra AWB setting.. AWB-w ..Anyone used to good effect?

Well I just paid for a brand new canon 1dxII ..thenaks to @George for the help with that..

Two week trial with the 1dx from canon......My main concern was the higher iso.. one stop didnt sound much but my brain wasnt working properly.. 1stop at lower end isn't a lot.. one stop at higher end (which is what i need) is a lot and i get iso 51200 usable pictures if you nail the exposure (or expose to the right) So the higher iso was good.. But could I live without it.. its not the same jump as from a 1dmkIV to a 1dx which was massive...

But then I found other things.. in dark area it grabbed auto focus fast and easy where the 1dx could struggle...the anti flicker is going to up my keeper rate and certain venues by about 60% as i was only getting one usable shot from every three in flicckering rooms.. it really was a suprise bonus... the extra AWB+w option is also good.. lots of other little things that arn't worth the upgrade but do make it better when you put everyhting together

then theres the video.. always faniced it but its pretty useless on the 1dx IMHO .. on this its so much easier and holds focus with moving subjects dead easy.. the touch screen works great when you gte used to it... I dont honestly know how much i will use video but i am going to train myself up on it and its there if i can see a money making opportunity :)

All in all the camera is worth the upgrade for me... for the horrible places i photo now at iso 25600 and above with flickering lights.. i can now up the shutter and ignore diff lights and got more usable shots.. thats the plus.. more usable shots.. i can still do the job with 1dx... but the ability to miss less and get more...thats the bit...thus more money to be made

Glad to have been of help, Tony, you'll enjoy the body I'm sure....keep us posted!!

George.

Well I just paid for a brand new canon 1dxII ..thenaks to @George for the help with that..

Two week trial with the 1dx from canon......My main concern was the higher iso.. one stop didnt sound much but my brain wasnt working properly.. 1stop at lower end isn't a lot.. one stop at higher end (which is what i need) is a lot and i get iso 51200 usable pictures if you nail the exposure (or expose to the right) So the higher iso was good.. But could I live without it.. its not the same jump as from a 1dmkIV to a 1dx which was massive...

But then I found other things.. in dark area it grabbed auto focus fast and easy where the 1dx could struggle...the anti flicker is going to up my keeper rate and certain venues by about 60% as i was only getting one usable shot from every three in flicckering rooms.. it really was a suprise bonus... the extra AWB+w option is also good.. lots of other little things that arn't worth the upgrade but do make it better when you put everyhting together

then theres the video.. always faniced it but its pretty useless on the 1dx IMHO .. on this its so much easier and holds focus with moving subjects dead easy.. the touch screen works great when you gte used to it... I dont honestly know how much i will use video but i am going to train myself up on it and its there if i can see a money making opportunity :)

All in all the camera is worth the upgrade for me... for the horrible places i photo now at iso 25600 and above with flickering lights.. i can now up the shutter and ignore diff lights and got more usable shots.. thats the plus.. more usable shots.. i can still do the job with 1dx... but the ability to miss less and get more...thats the bit...thus more money to be made

Thanks for the user review, Tony. You put forward a very strong case for upgrading........... unfortunately :(

Thanks for the user review, Tony. You put forward a very strong case for upgrading........... unfortunately :(

haha sorry... I do think the upgrade is for anyone working in extreme conditions (well extreme for uk anyways) like dark non league or college floodlights or indoor sports halls... I am keeping both my 1dx and daytime i will use them and only get the 1dxII out for the above scenarios.. thus extending its life :) To be honest at a daytime event its not going to add much.. cricket stuff like that no point racking up the shutter count when the 1dx or even a 1d mk3/4 would do as good a job...

haha sorry... I do think the upgrade is for anyone working in extreme conditions (well extreme for uk anyways) like dark non league or college floodlights or indoor sports halls... I am keeping both my 1dx and daytime i will use them and only get the 1dxII out for the above scenarios.. thus extending its life :) To be honest at a daytime event its not going to add much.. cricket stuff like that no point racking up the shutter count when the 1dx or even a 1d mk3/4 would do as good a job...

I think your strategy is spot on, Tony. I mainly shoot Championship, League 1 and League 2, so the lights aren't too bad. If ever the agency start doing indoor stuff or poorly lit sport and want me to cover it, I think the 1DxII will be a must, from what you're saying. Until then, I'll start saving up my pennies just in case

I have managed to blag myself a free use of one of these on Saturday before making a decision on buying.

I'm hoping to have time to do some low light in a cathedral/church then off to the zoo and finishing with some windsurfing at the beach, is there anything in particular I need to test out? I do not have the use of a Cfast card.

Currently shooting with a 5d mk3, 7d mk2.

My new one just arrived.. presume I am OK charging 1dx batteries in the new charger.. no issues?

I can't remember off the top of my head, I think it could have been a 1DIV battery I was using in the 1DXII and with the sigma 150-600 sport would throw up a battery error. but yes they charge fine in the new charger.

Folks,

I just downloaded the sanitise program from Sandisk. When I run it, it comes up with an error message about needing admin.

When I run it with Admin, nothing happens.

Anybody use this?

Martin

Just a note for anybody who doesn't have a CFast reader.....

You can run the Sandisk sanitise utility via USB with the card installed in the camera.

Bob

Folks,

I just downloaded the sanitise program from Sandisk. When I run it, it comes up with an error message about needing admin.

When I run it with Admin, nothing happens.

Anybody use this?

Martin

OK I figured it out.

It allows you to create a desktop icon, but then won't run from there.

If you run it from within its own directory it runs.

Poor programming

Martin

My new one just arrived.. presume I am OK charging 1dx batteries in the new charger.. no issues?

Enjoy... money well spent with the use in dark/flickering venues :)

I've charged 1DX batteries in the new charger and 1DX mkII in the 1DX charger.. seems to have worked fine and haven't had issues .. but mainly use the 'new' charger for both batteries...

Well it works... Todays local regional paper.. Most of these pics including the largest one shot at iso 51200 out of necessity I might add.. very dark horrible place pics taken at distance and reproduced brighter than real life

teliso.jpg

teliso.jpg[\img]

As much as I love the anti flicker. I had to turn it off and do without last night.. presumably coupled with the high iso I was on.. it really did slow the fps down to i would guess about 5 fps or less it seemed.. I will be using it on sunday at gymnastics but at football it proved too slow at a crucial moment :( As I say.. thinking the high iso as well.. the combinations slowed the fps down..

As much as I love the anti flicker. I had to turn it off and do without last night.. presumably coupled with the high iso I was on.. it really did slow the fps down to i would guess about 5 fps or less it seemed.. I will be using it on sunday at gymnastics but at football it proved too slow at a crucial moment :( As I say.. thinking the high iso as well.. the combinations slowed the fps down..
Also worth noting that the older LP-E4 and LP-E4N's will give a slower frame rate than the new LP-19's. You can also add in the temperature of the battery at this time of the year.......sit on it as you drive to the match and you might squeeze another frame per second.

What about running on silent mode.. which should be renamed to a bit more quiet mode.. does that have an adverse effect ?

What about running on silent mode.. which should be renamed to a bit more quiet mode.. does that have an adverse effect ?
If you're asking about its effect on FPS then yes, it's much slower (4-5 fps) I believe.

In the Mara in Africa at the moment...camera working superbly but battery life is dire.....depending on how much is IS and af I'm using between shots, min 600 max 1000 shots per full charge....Nikon D5 getting over 3000 shots with similar usage.....both my bodies giving the same results.

How's everyone else doing?...fortunately have 2 spare batteries with me so can swap every night.

Otherwise delighted, ...may not respond for days as internet not good.....

OK I figured it out.

It allows you to create a desktop icon, but then won't run from there.

If you run it from within its own directory it runs.

Poor programming

Martin
Or right click the desktop icon and select "Run as administrator" from the list of options.

Or right click the desktop icon and select "Run as administrator" from the list of options.

I tried that the first time. nothing happens. :(

I have to run it from within the directory otherwise it doesn't run

Martin

was using my mk11 tonight and i noticed that in the bottom right hand corner of the screen i have the word flicker coming on, it is just above the AF notice.Does not seem to effect anything.Anyone got any ideas.

Could somebody explain what " sanitise " the card means, please?

It is recommended that CFast card users regularly full format and refresh (sanitize) their card. Sanitizing the card returns the CFast card to a 'fresh' state by removing previous recording traces, which restores maximum video recording performance.

Note: Please ensure that sanitize is 100% complete prior to removing the card. If there are power interruptions or if the card is removed prior to completion, the card may not work properly in the camera. If this happens, users are directed to complete the interrupted sanitize and then sanitize once more so that a full sanitize is finished without interruption.

You need to format the card in the camera after running it through the refresh programme.

Back