Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Finding it really hard to resist buying one of these.

A fair amount of my photography consists of Motorsport, athletics, wildlife or my fast moving kids.

I have a 70d which I upgraded from a 7d. I was never overly happy with the 7d and although the 70 is better it's still not quite what I'm looking for. I've been contemplating the 7d mk2 but having seen the Andy Rouse review of the 1DX I'm swaying that way.

The wife will kill me, but she threatens to do that weekly anyway, so no change there. I have a 5d 3 for general photography which I love, but want something better for fast moving action stuff.

My only worry is the fact it's full frame. Get closer, yes I know but sometimes it's just not possible. I assume this bad boy takes a hefty crop without issue though?

Hmmmmm, what to do???
Well, don't leave us in a cliffhanger... did you take the plunge?

Both my 1Dx's are 2½ years old, and both had their fair share of dust spots, so took them to Lehmanns for a bit of spit and polish and for the Pro-service AF at the same time. Calibrated one body to a 400 f2.8 and 600 f4 and the other body to a 70-200 f2.8 and 16-35 f2.8.

All this ready for the new footy season (except the 600 f4 which I use for wildlife when I get round to it).

Anyways, turns out that both bodies needed a replacement mirror box as both were showing slight signs of wear. The work sheets said MIRROR BOX WORN HOOK. Both bodies have done less than 6000 clicks, so all a bit worrying to say the least :confused:.
However, the nice chaps at Lehmanns replaced both mirror boxes FOC, which was nice :banana:

So, all ready to go.

Ready and a raring to go Nige :)

My two 1dx are filthy.. even the one recently had new shutter...... but cant be bothered getting cleaned.. just packing my 400 lens off for calibration now..

my experience with lehmanns was that they didnt calibrate the lens to the camera.. they calibrated both seperatly and deided that was it....

I cant recall one positive exprience wiht them.. tried a fewe times as easiest to get to.. but woudlnt ever use them again..

My two 1dx are filthy.. even the one recently had new shutter...... but cant be bothered getting cleaned.. just packing my 400 lens off for calibration now..

my experience with lehmanns was that they didnt calibrate the lens to the camera.. they calibrated both seperatly and deided that was it....

I cant recall one positive exprience wiht them.. tried a fewe times as easiest to get to.. but woudlnt ever use them again..

Now I'm worried :(. Think I'll take my kit out for a test with the focus test charts

My bro says the impression he got was his focused quicker after cleaning.

After I had returned it to him filthy!!!

Now I'm worried :(. Think I'll take my kit out for a test with the focus test charts

Sorry :) they must be good with some/most people or they wouldnt still be in business.. but they did admit to me that they calibrated both items seperate and not lens to camera.. I told them the only reason i took the camera in was so they could match them up..

The only half good experience I had was when one time they actually lost my camera (a canon 10d).. they had to replace with a new one which isnt a good story but ended well for me :)

Hmmm, that's why I always use Elstree.....I suspect they have more kit to do all the adjustments than anyone else, and they've always cleaned both camera and sensor if it's been in for anything.

Both mine have 2.03 firmware.. anything worth the upgrade from that?

Not really, still waiting for further news on 2.0.8.

The latest available from Canon at the moment is 2.0.7, the below is what they have to say about it.

Firmware Version 2.0.7 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes.

1. Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom).
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which, when shooting long exposures (several minutes), vertical lines appear on the right edge of captured images (still photos).
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) may not perform as intended when in continuous shooting mode and where the shutter speed is longer than 1 second.
4. Improves the reliability of the control mechanism for the Picture Style Auto setting.
5. Fixes a phenomenon in which the electronic level indicator does not work correctly.
6. Fixes a phenomenon in which, when using the "Save and read camera settings" function, the color space data that is selected in "Custom shooting mode (C1-C3)" is not saved. *1
7. Corrects some incorrect indications on the "English" and "Russian" menu screens.

*1 As a result of this fix, cameras with Firmware Version 2.0.7 will not be able to read the "camera settings file" created with cameras running Firmware Version 2.0.3 (or earlier). If you require the "camera settings file", please create it after updating to firmware version 2.0.7.

I updated mine to 2.0.7 in January, I think it was, Tony, didn't see any difference, and there's been nothing official so far other than that rumour about the latest upgrade...suspect it'd be pretty minimal as the increment is only a 0.0,x if you see what I mean.

George.

Just had a re-read of the original rumour source which links to a German forum.

Someone there asked CPS about the 2.0.8 firmware and CPS responded with the below which I have translated using an online translation tool.

Here's the answer from Canon / CPS:

Quote:
Dear Mr XXXXXXXXXXXX,

thank you for your request.

If the camera in the presence in the service, it was the firmware version 2.0.8 installed you mentioned. This includes an improvement to the half depressing the trigger. For more details have yet been made.

It will also give a runterladbare firmware version. This is expected to be in the September 2015.

We hope that you will continue to have helped regarding your request.

With kind regards,

X. XXXXXXXXXXXX

Canon Services & Support

CPS-support - Germany
Tel. : xxxxx / XX XX XX
Monday to Thursday - 8 to 17 pm, Friday - 8 to 14 pm

Thanks, Chris, looks pretty insignificant..not a problem I've had?

Will do anyway!

Just had a funny thing happen on my 1 Dx.....strangely one of my batteries won't go in to the body, and I'm not going to force it........it goes in to the 1 D4 fine, no reason that I can think of...and I fail to see how a pin on the body could have been bent, although I can't think of any other explanation, anyone else had this problem?...will have to take it through to A and J Johnstone in Glasgow I suppose, as it's not an electronic to setting issue otherwise I'd send it to Elstree.

Comments welcome!!

George.

so firmware 208 only deals with one problem re shutter half press IF set a certain way?

Leads me to ask.. How has anyone else got it set for BBF mines at AE Lock while button pressed..

Half press for metering start...AF on for metering and af start (i.e. BBF).

I'm the same as George

Just had a funny thing happen on my 1 Dx.....strangely one of my batteries won't go in to the body, and I'm not going to force it........it goes in to the 1 D4 fine, no reason that I can think of...and I fail to see how a pin on the body could have been bent, although I can't think of any other explanation, anyone else had this problem?...will have to take it through to A and J Johnstone in Glasgow I suppose, as it's not an electronic to setting issue otherwise I'd send it to Elstree.

Comments welcome!!

George.

Does it fit on the charger ok George

Does it fit on the charger ok George

That's the funny thing, Gary, it's fine in the charger, the 1 D4 but not in the 1Dx, so it must be a body problem....but I just can't see how it's happened and I wondered if it had happened to anyone else?....I don't just shove them in and my other 2 batteries slip in fine!!...albeit with perhaps just a teeny bit of resistance, but no more than normal!

yes sorry.. I ahve AF-on and the * to both do same thing metering and af start

but what happens if your tracking while the light changes.. how do you use the lighting when you press the shutter...if your metering all the time while using the back button why have you also got metering on the front button?

Last edited:
stay with me a sec :)

when i use BBF I keep hold of the back button for tracking.. then when needed i press the front button to shoot.. i will still be holding the back button in... IF back button is continuously getting the metering then whats the button doing at moment of press re metering?

?

if your tracking using the back button then the light changes or your players goes in and out of shadow.. you only want to lock the exposure as you press the button.. NOT when you start tracking.. so AE lock when sutter pressed and back button does the metering..

does that make sense?

I updated mine to 2.0.7 in January, I think it was, Tony, didn't see any difference, and there's been nothing official so far other than that rumour about the latest upgrade...suspect it'd be pretty minimal as the increment is only a 0.0,x if you see what I mean.

George.

I am stil on 203 ddint see any need to go 207 or 208 :)

COLOR SPACE mines on sRGB

Any significant chnges if I changed to AdobeRGB?

GOT MY ANSWER .. Stick to sRGB :)

Last edited:
Odd thing but do you think the battery cells may be damaged and hence expanded? Any cracks at all?

Not that I can see, Chris, and it goes in to the 1 D4 fine!....so I think it's the body/contacts somehow!

George.

I'm the same as George

Any reason for this.. above I explain why I have mine to ae lock and wondering why you have back button and half press both for metering start.. when does the ae lock? I think lock ae when taking the shot not when starting to track...that way you get the correct exposure at time of shooting and not at time of tracking.. But thats just my way of thinking

my thought is that is exposure is one thing when you start tracking and by the time you take the shot the light has changed slightly or subject gone into shadow.. you want the esposure at time of shot

I may be doing ti wrong ... :)

From your post above I think you are wrong here, if you have the shutter button set to AE lock on half press it will lock the exposure? Does the AE lock star * come on when you press the shutter?

From your post above I think you are wrong here, if you have the shutter button set to AE lock on half press it will lock the exposure? Does the AE lock star * come on when you press the shutter?

yes it does..

so i press the back button and metering starts as does AF... I can keep the back button pressed as i track a player or whatever.. when i actually hit the shutter button to take the pic.. it will lock exposure at time of taking pic..

where am I going wrong? :)

I am absoloutly NOT saying I ahve it right.. in fact i am looking and asking to see if i am right or wrong... it just seems right to me to lock exposure exactly when you hit the shutter and not before..

But if you half press the shutter does the star * come on?

am i being embarresingly stupid here ..could be :)

As I see it you are locking the exposure as soon as you half press the shutter, on fully pressing the shutter the exposure will meter and lock.

Hey, perhaps I'm wrong? lol

@Canon Bob

As I see it you are locking the exposure as soon as you half press the shutter, on fully pressing the shutter the exposure will meter and lock.

Hey, perhaps I'm wrong? lol

@Canon Bob

But thats what I am saying... it keeps metering while back button pressed and locks when i take the shot.. i dont actually half press.. i fully press and it all happens as half press happens anyways.... surely if you lock exposure at the start and light changes before you press shutter then thats no good..

cant say i am 100% confident what i am talking about haha.. but does that not sound reasonable to lock exposure at the time of taking the pic and not before?

OK, using your setup, lets say you are tracking a fast moving player and you take a 10 shot burst, what happens to the exposure if the player runs from brilliant sunshine into the dark shade of the stand at frame 5 of the ten shots?

OK, using your setup, lets say you are tracking a fast moving player and you take a 10 shot burst, what happens to the exposure if the player runs from brilliant sunshine into the dark shade of the stand at frame 5 of the ten shots?

the exposure is locked for the burst period but to be fait i never do more then 2 or 3 shot burst

HOWEVER

I ahve now changed mine to metering same as yours... have been readinf up and thats how everyone does it ...so will see if makes any difference... I am not having problems but tha never know :)

Back