Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

two weeks ago today, took it into Calumet. To be fair they have offered me the battery from their demo 1DX

I'd have sent it straight to Elstree, wouldn't they let you?

I did phone Elstree and they said send it in but it had to be UPS as the PO have changed the rules regarding battery shipment. As I was going near Calumet the next day I just thought it would be easier (and less expensive) to hand it in. They put my CPS number on the form

I just got some Eneloop batteries sent from Japan...they called them a usb port..!! Unbelievable!!...

Picked up new Battery from Calumet today, I never like bad mouthing a company but I think Canon failed me on this occasion, Calumet on the other hand were superb!

was it a canon genuine or a calumet badged one ?

i bought a calumet badged battery a while ago and the end cap fell to pieces and as far is i am aware nothing untoward had happened to the battery

fixed it with a cheap battery bought off ebay for it's end cap there all pretty much the same

It was a genuine Canon battery about six months old so still under warranty.

I'm guessing the Calumet batteries do both Canon 1D and the Nikon D3/4, it's just the end caps that are different, perhaps your one was not fitted correctly?

I'm guessing the Calumet batteries do both Canon 1D and the Nikon D3/4, it's just the end caps that are different, perhaps your one was not fitted correctly?

maybe

it wasn't all bad as i managed to fix it with another cap i was just a bit disappointed with the build quality
the battery itself usage wise is fine

Last edited:
Anybody tried the new firmware....if so, any difference?...

Yes and no, well apart from the version number changing.

I updated it before heading out to the football and rugby on the weekend. The camera felt no different at all.

Frankly, I'd have been surprised if there had been any difference, but good to know and thanks, Scott.

:banana:Well, it's great to know that now, with the advent of the latest consumer dslr with 24 mpx, we are all proud owners of the current Canon camera with the lowest megapixel count!!!!!....interesting, isn't it!!:banana:

Is anyone using a 1dx with a 400 2.8 and if so.. how are you finding it at the long end?

I dont normally shoot 2.8 unless poor lighting and then theres noise so its hard to tell if something was sharp at iso 12800

yesterday in decent light for testing purposes I shot the whole match at 2.8 as somehtign has been nigling at me.. pics from behind one goal to say three quarters up the pitch are perfect.. up to half way I would say stunning... but from one goalmouth to another its not as shapr... My 1dmkIV was better at full pitch lenght.. however that was a crop so closer..

I am not sure if I get the lens calibrated would help .. I dont want to gain sharp at long and lose what i ahve rest of pitch.. f3.2 looks better so am guesisng it is calibration.. but can you ahve perfection all the way through and for that distance.. have you?

I know dof is thin on a FF and long distance.. so i ahd been convincing myself was me.. now not so sure

PS i ahve two 1dx and both are mouth wateringly stunning using 135 at f2 even distance shots so I know the bodies are calibrated perfect..

I'd get the lens checked at Elstree, Tony, I don't have the 400 2.8 but I have the 300 mk2 2.8 and it is fine on both my 1 Dx and one of Canon's I borrowed, and with a 1.4 mk3 they are also fine right across the distance range.

Is it worth hiring a 400 2.8 for a weekend?

George.

The 1DX allows you to calibrate a zoom lens at both ends, ie @ 70mm and @ 200mm. I'm not sure if you could calibrate a prime for close up and distance using this method?

Yeh, scratch that, it doesn't give you the option

You can't, Jim.

Having thought for a minute about this, perhaps I am wrong, if you set it up at close distance for MFA, then it might be interesting to see if it changed at a greater distance?...but it would be a pain to have to change from one to the other, and anyway, the camera knows which lens number it's setting up for and as far as I know there's only one setting per lens.

It would be a great idea for a firmware update, ...............to have long and short end MFA on a prime lens

There shouldn't be a noticeable difference on a prime, surely?!!!....not at the price of these super tellies anyway!!

I only have the 300mm Mk1 but I have noticed if the subject is a fair distance away you need to give it more time to 'track' the subject, also true with the extenders on

I think that I'd try another quick test before committing to any expense, Tony. Air quality at pitch level can have a bearing on perceived sharpness when the distance to subject increases. It's surprising how little sun is needed to generate some heat haze just above the surface (okay, it's Accrington, I know)....if not heat haze then small amounts of evaporation from a damp pitch. Pick out a chimney pot at pitch distance and see if the results are the same.....a subject away from the ground plane shouldn't suffer in the same way. On warmer days over here in France, anything beyond 30 metres has the contrast sucked out of it by the air quality when shooting just above pitch level.

Bob

I've had a similar problem with wildlife shots, to the eye it looks clear in the distance but the camera picks up any haze or dust and that softens the focus, so your lens might be fine.

1dx + 400 at 2.8 : ... I am convinced the lens is calibrated fine.. the cameras are (two 1dx) I think its the full frame offering a shallower DOF means you ahve to be more bang on.. get them on the face.. f3.2 s about perfect and probably the same as a crop camera at 2.8 if you follow my thinking of ff being shallower dof ?

Finding it really hard to resist buying one of these.

A fair amount of my photography consists of Motorsport, athletics, wildlife or my fast moving kids.

I have a 70d which I upgraded from a 7d. I was never overly happy with the 7d and although the 70 is better it's still not quite what I'm looking for. I've been contemplating the 7d mk2 but having seen the Andy Rouse review of the 1DX I'm swaying that way.

The wife will kill me, but she threatens to do that weekly anyway, so no change there. I have a 5d 3 for general photography which I love, but want something better for fast moving action stuff.

My only worry is the fact it's full frame. Get closer, yes I know but sometimes it's just not possible. I assume this bad boy takes a hefty crop without issue though?

Hmmmmm, what to do???

Last edited:
Cropping the 1Dx is not too far removed from cropping the 5D3 so you should be able to assess whether it's for you or not. I'm not sure what the 7D2 would offer you in other than a few FPS when required.

Bob

You can crop well into a pic taken on a 1dx with a good lens ..really silly crop in and still get an a4.. but you do need a good lens on the end..

A 1Dx doing what it does best, capturing 37 images of a 300mph Top Fuel Dragster accident (driver fine) in the link below:

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/?p=21971

At the end of the blog post, there is a video where you can see the photographer standing on a little ladder taking the sequence of pictures. A quick check for flying debris and he carries on shooting, great work.

A 1Dx doing what it does best, capturing 37 images of a 300mph Top Fuel Dragster accident (driver fine) in the link below:

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/?p=21971

At the end of the blog post, there is a video where you can see the photographer standing on a little ladder taking the sequence of pictures. A quick check for flying debris and he carries on shooting, great work.

Thanks for posting that. Having gone though the images and read his description, it was even more shocking to me how fast the whole incident was. :eek:

Back