Canon 5D II video problem

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I tried out the HD video capability on my Canon 5D mk II at the New Year's Eve winter carnival here in Newcastle but the video clips have come out less than satisfactory. For a start, they are in slow motion, people are moving at less than real-life speed. The soundtrack is also off, being out of sync with the action and then the sound cuts off altogether after twenty or thirty seconds. I'm assuming it's my memory card that's the problem, I have a Sandisk Ultra II card which says 15mb/s on it. I've had it a few years, do I need a faster card? Any recommendations?

Hi John,

Yes, for video you're going to need a quicker card. Sandisk recommend at least 30MB/s, but I'd be inclined to go 60MB/s, to be safe.

Does the camera not have a buffer indicator? Did you not see the levels max out?

Hi John,

Yes, for video you're going to need a quicker card. Sandisk recommend at least 30MB/s, but I'd be inclined to go 60MB/s, to be safe.

Does the camera not have a buffer indicator? Did you not see the levels max out?

It may well have, I was just trying it out for the first time. Cheers for the advice! (y)

I'm looking at a card on Ebay whic seems amazingly cheap for what its write speed is claimed as - it says 133mb/s but is only £12, can this be correct? Sorry, I'm new to all this video stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-8G-TR...AsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item439d0b8a24

Do yourself a favour and stop looking at ebay for cards. The place is awash with fakes.
I'd also be looking at 16GB for video as space gets used very quickly but it depends how serious you are. If you are just doing snippets then may be fine.

Have a look at these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-4...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325459855&sr=1-23

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ext...6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325459977&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ext...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325459977&sr=1-1

The San Disk cards are at least fulfilled by Amazon so should be ok.

Alternatively check mymemory.co.uk. Some good deals to be had there.

I must admit to being surprised that 133x (22MB/s) is recommended tho'. Personally, I'd still go higher.

I looked around last week for 32 gb cards, the cheapest I could find at the mo was transcend 32gb 400x cards which at £45 seem a good buy ATM if that helps...

I've gone for a cheapo Transcend 133X card for now, I'm just messing about with video at the moment, I can always upgrade if I get into it. Thanks all for the advice.

Sandisk Ultra II 15Mb/s card works fine with my 5DII and video!

I bought my lad Sandisk extreme Pro's for his 600D video. £40 for 16Gb
Never had a sandisk fail, whereas I've had issues with others (PNY, Transcend).

The faster card also means it gets transferred onto computer quicker.

Dose it play OK on the camera or when directly connected to a TV ? , with the problem only showing when playing back on a PC ?

Does the video still show problems if played back on the camera?
It takes a lot of processing power to play back the camera files in real time and this could be the only problem.

I think it's more likely the software is the issue as it does take a fast PC to handle the HiDef video

Does the video play back ok in the camera?

If so then it is the PC that is the problem.

If you are working with HD video I strongly suggest a second hard drive in the PC otherwise you will struggle to play back HD video - I use a 4 drive Raid Array set up for speed (Raid 0) rather than redundancy.

TE

Does the video play back ok in the camera?

If so then it is the PC that is the problem.

If you are working with HD video I strongly suggest a second hard drive in the PC otherwise you will struggle to play back HD video - I use a 4 drive Raid Array set up for speed (Raid 0) rather than redundancy.

TE

You certainly don't require a RAID array to play or edit HD video whether from a dslr or a camcorder - I have both.

I think you will find the problem lies with your pc media player as opposed to your sd card. The files generated recording full hd movies are quite bulky and need a fairly good setup to get smooth playback. I use a duo core 2.6ghz processor running 8 gig ram for hd video editing and it handles it fine. Not sure what the minimum requirements that canon recommend are but an off the shelf laptop will struggle with the footage. Download Splayer to playback the media and you might see some improvement in the speed and quality.

Sandisk Extreme or Sandisk Extreme Pro {available in both SDHC & CF card formats} @ 30MB/s & 60MB/s they're ideal for shooting video. I've found a faster shutter speed is more likely to create smooth movement in my own Canon 5D MKII. Best wishes.

I've found a faster shutter speed is more likely to create smooth movement in my own Canon 5D MKII.

A fast shutter speed (ie 1/100th +) is more likely to create a stutter effect in your video than anything else.

Sandisk Extreme or Sandisk Extreme Pro {available in both SDHC & CF card formats} @ 30MB/s & 60MB/s they're ideal for shooting video. I've found a faster shutter speed is more likely to create smooth movement in my own Canon 5D MKII. Best wishes.

You need to use the 180 degree rule for smooth footage. So if you are shooting 24p shoot at 1/50th (closest to 1/48th), 25p shoot at 1/50th, 30p shoot at 1/60th etc you get the picture. The shutter speed needs to be 1 over double the frame rate.

Back