Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Evening all

Im looking to change camera and therefore sell the 5d, how do i find the shutter count without sending ti to canon?

thanks

John

Thanks Dean, its definitely not going there, looks like i will be selling on description only, its a shame as its a really nice camera, just have the urge for something newer, gear envy....

hi Matthew, not sure, in reality I'm in a position to move it now as doubt I'll have much shooting opportunities for a month or so with work, what are you thinking?

Hi guys I was just about to reply saying that i was just wanting to know roughly when he was selling and if he wanted to discuss further we would move to a thread in classifieds.

Don't want to break any rules ;) I will hopefully be in a position to make such a thread tomorrow once I have got my 60D shifted.

Cheers guys and Tori for the heads up ;)

hi both, I'm happy to move this to a classified thread if it's easier, I've got other bits to sell anyway, Tori I assume this is ok with u, however I would be interested to find out from Matthew how much he is willing to offer before I looked to move this through a classified thread?

I really think that's against the rules mate, I'll just end this convo the now. Don't feel you have to list in the classified just because of me, I was just intrigued to when you may sell.

Thanks

will probably list it too be honest, I know it will be a little while before I need the replacement, so I might as well let someone else get good use out of it rather than it sit in my bag

Just had mine on eBay for a few hours. In the mean time I took a few shots with it and ended up having to remove it.

Something about the results from the 5D are just magical. It seems almost too good to get rid of and having sold one before and then regretting it - I don't wanna do it again.
I'm sure the MkIIs and MkIIIs are leaps ahead but as far as picture quality goes, I think the original 5D still has something pretty unique. Liveview and Auto ISO would be nice at times though but not essential.
I love my Fuji X as a travel companion but many of times I have grabbed the 5D to head out too.

Looking to go for a Canon 85mm 1.8 to go alongside the 50mm 1.4 to do some portrait work. Anyone recommend this lens? I've read a lot of positive stuff about it online and it seems pretty decent value.

cheers mata, it was one of the buildings I wanted to shoot but didn't expect the colours. will try minnnt thanks

@mata.morrison Those shots look great! Shows that the 5D is more than capable. I'm glad I've removed mine for sale. I know I would end up getting another down the line.

Got an M42 adapter on the way so will be trying some legacy glass out full frame :)

Cheers, yea it is still great and very under rated. I shot the entire HebCeltFest at iso1600 with no bother with noise at all.

Please put it back for sale ;)

Cheers, yea it is still great and very under rated. I shot the entire HebCeltFest at iso1600 with no bother with noise at all.

Please put it back for sale ;)

A few people I have seen complain about the noise but like you, I haven't found it that bad even at 1600. The Hi 3200 setting can get a bit messy but then saying that, Ive managed to smooth a few shots with some success.
Despite the noise however, it's not harsh as in overly blocky. I've seen later cameras which are worse.

Haha I was very close. I use a Fuji X quite a bit and felt the 5D was sitting redundant, however every time I use it, I usually say the same which is "I can't sell this" Haha, I'm after an 85mm to go with the 50mm.

What are you using now out of interest? Are you seeing the 5DC as a second body? Hope you find one soon.

Those lenses will be well nice along with the 5D.

I moved to a 60D after I had the 5, reason being I thought about moving to a 'lighter' setup. It never happened, as much as I like the 60D the 5 was so nice and having full frame was sweet.

I found the noise from the 5 was much nicer, even at 3200. It cleaned up nicer too if you needed to.

Those lenses will be well nice along with the 5D.

I moved to a 60D after I had the 5, reason being I thought about moving to a 'lighter' setup. It never happened, as much as I like the 60D the 5 was so nice and having full frame was sweet.

I found the noise from the 5 was much nicer, even at 3200. It cleaned up nicer too if you needed to.

The 85mm 1.8 seems fairly well rated and not bad money either. I'm thinking if I add a 28 or 24mm to the lens line up then I will have a bit of everything for what I shoot :)

The 5D def represents good value for money and for full frame goodness too.

I follow someone of Flickr who uses the 85mm f1.8 on a 60d and his portraits are seriously excellent. Like REALLY excellent. It's a brilliant lens from what I've seen and it's very well priced!

That's good to hear :) I've seen some really good stuff with it on Flickr. The 1.2 Canon lens would be a bokeh monster on FF but it's not only a lot heavier but quite a wedge of £££

Replied to your wanted ad Matthew

Cheers
Rich

Back