Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Has anyone used the silent shutter mode on the camera yet? I used it to great effect the other night shooting a local theatre production and wondered if there are any draw backs to just leaving it on permanently? i.e. write speeds, battery drain etc etc

It's my standard setting, the other day I took a couple of bursts on normal and my wife commented how load it was

Has anyone used the silent shutter mode on the camera yet? I used it to great effect the other night shooting a local theatre production and wondered if there are any draw backs to just leaving it on permanently? i.e. write speeds, battery drain etc etc

I think most of us do, its one of the most loved features by the looks of it.

1D IV has silent mode

I think the only real downside of the silent mode is increased shutter and VF blackout

Yes, its not ideal for every situation but its what I use most of the time and don't find it a problem.
I do turn it off when doing hand held HDR, using AI servo and when in the company of Nikon shooters but other than that I find the speed is fast enough for day to day shooting. :LOL:

Yes, its not ideal for every situation but its what I use most of the time and don't find it a problem.
I do turn it off when doing hand held HDR, using AI servo and when in the company of Nikon shooters but other than that I find the speed is fast enough for day to day shooting. :LOL:

Yeah I'm thinking of during weddings and I do use AI servo for the bride walking down the ailse etc. Maybe I'll stick it back in to normal shutter for those parts and silent for the rest :)

Mind me asking why you switch for AI, as I usually have both AI servo and silent mode on and haven't seen anything to worry about.

Mind me asking why you switch for AI, as I usually have both AI servo and silent mode on and haven't seen anything to worry about.

I too haven't had much to worry about, i just do it to get more shots. Using silent does slow things down a bit and sometimes i feel the camera is a bit too sluggish. Not always though.
Examples being when im shooting my son on his scooter, the Skateboarder's on the Southbank etc. None need silent mode but do need the camera to fire quickly IME.

When shooting indoors i almost always use silent, no matter what or how im shooting.

I think for the bride and groom coming down the isle silent is fine, unless they are running lol.

Ah, okay I get you - makes sense - I just seem to usually be shooting my kids rush about so have it in servo, but I don;t need shed loads of shots so silent is nice, plus (occasionally) they don't see me shooting so I get something more natural.

Yeah, silent is great for shooting kids.
I tend not to set the camera to servo, but have the DOF set to switch between one shot and servo. Sometimes i forget to hold it down though :-(

That's the main reason I've not activated it due to the possibility of forgetting to hold the DOF button :)
Maybe it's just me but I find it awkward having to hold that down as well as back focus and the shutter button.

5DMKIII + updated firmware + EF300mm f/2.8L + EF2x MKIII + Kenko Pro300 DGX 1.4x = RESULT! :D

I have a slow to AF, soft, low-ish contrast 840mm f/8 lens for when push really does come to shove! ;)

(Only to be used in dire emergencies)

5DMKIII + updated firmware + EF300mm f/2.8L + EF2x MKIII + Kenko Pro300 DGX 1.4x = RESULT! :D

I have a slow to AF, soft, low-ish contrast 840mm f/8 lens for when push really does come to shove! ;)

(Only to be used in dire emergencies)

Now if only they'd allow that on one of their 1.6x crops for a bit more eh.... :D

Not yet, but being lazy I'll try it when magic lantern is available on the new firmware

Use it loads on wildlife and at weddings (ceremony/speeches) great invention

Guys im still getting used to the 5D 3

How can i link the metering mode (spot) to the AF points?

You can't. Centre only.

Doh fair do, only ask as ive been inspired by another tog as he shoots (weddings in AV) which i am used too.

was hoping to achieve

(quote from another forum)
If the camera's metering is linked to the AF points, then there shouldn't be any need to shoot full manual as you spend too much time chimping. I use spot metering 90% of the time.
If the focus points are not linked and you have to use the exposure lock button, and also if you focus recompose, then shooting full manual is a more compelling argument.

Quote me if I'm wrong (Which knowing me I probably am :) ) but isn't that one of the features exclusive to the AF of the 1DX?

The 5D is like most of the canon range when it comes to metering.
Evaluative places emphasise on the AF point that achieved focus, and locks exposure at the time the shutter is half pressed. The other modes use the centres parts of the image no matter what AF point is used, and lock exposure when the shot is actually taken.

This is assuming the shutter button is used to take the shot, I dont know about when using the rear button, although you can't change where the metering is taken from.

Quote me if I'm wrong (Which knowing me I probably am :) ) but isn't that one of the features exclusive to the AF of the 1DX?

This is correct, unfortunately the 5D3 does not have this function..Whereas the 1DX does, and very useful it is too.

Well this weekend the 5DIII has been pushed hard.

Two day rock festival in Nottingham, in a venue that would, apart from the loud music, otherwise pass quite well as a deep cave. Hard work, but the camera allowed me to carry on shooting without flash where pretty much everyone else was either flashing or getting blurry shots.

Great feeling eh? Lol

Out of interest, and without me doing any searching at all, how do the pre 1Dx, 1D series fair when it comes to shooting high ISO? I've never owned one, nor ever really paid any interest, although I do know they are what the working pros seem to use a lot.

Well this weekend the 5DIII has been pushed hard.

Two day rock festival in Nottingham, in a venue that would, apart from the loud music, otherwise pass quite well as a deep cave. Hard work, but the camera allowed me to carry on shooting without flash where pretty much everyone else was either flashing or getting blurry shots.

I've found it ace in situations like that too. My main problem with gig photography is that a lot of bands like using lights which cast purple/magenta over everything, along with blues, reds, whites, greens, etc. It ruins some shots which forced black and white (which personally I like at the moment) but others seem to have the detail wiped out of them in the colour. Annoying as metering for higher light means everything else that's fine is then out causing more problems in post processing.

Still, it's fun :D

Funkweasel charity drag by Niall Allen, on Flickr

See! :D

DBP_0025.jpg

ISO 6400

For the wedding togs here which quick ish way do you meter for Highlights for dresses etc?

Back