Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Where did you tell him you were going ?
I did not say I was going anywhere particular. I just said that I found that one of my previous bodies got scratches on the back bottom edge from rubbing up against the zipper on my jacket whilst out and about.

So I take it no one runs insulation tape around their camera bodies? He did say not to use gaffa tape though as the adhesive is impossible to remove once it has been on for a while.

As for fetish clubs, I would never have a camera with me, there are enough things to keep your hands full with!

Nothing wrong with a few scratches on the body. Shows its a well loved camera since it gets used

Nothing wrong with a few scratches on the body. Shows its a well loved camera since it gets used

Yep. My 5D3 currently is pretty clean, but while it gets looked after, it also gets use. Pretty tough to take anything the places I photograph and not end up with a few marks!

5D mk3 High ISO performance is great.

Last weekend I was on the breakwater at Brixham to take long exposures and found a fisherman feeding a seal. This was 30 mins after sunset, about 10 mins after all twilight finished and it was pitch dark.

No flash as I didn't want to scare the seal so shot at H2, (ISO102600), I think my copy of lightroom has an issue showing the exif for this:) 24-105 lens at f4

150116085.jpg

150116087.jpg

150116089.jpg

Noisy but it was pitch dark

I've discovered a difference in the battery communication with v1.2.1.

Last year, I was duped into buying some 'genuine' Canon LP-E6 batteries on eBay which turned out to be fakes. With the new firmware, the camera LCD advises of erratic communication with these batteries at switch-on. It never did that before the update. Batteries are going in the bin anyway.:bang:

It's arrived!!!!:clap: What can I say....AMAZING!!:D:D

If I recall the pixel one doesn't have a joystick - but didn't the Meike have battery drain issues?

In the face of turning 40 at the end of this month, and wanting an upgrade to a full frame body, I took the plunge and ordered a mk3 on Tuesday from HDEW:D Justified by a pending mid life crisis. I haven't told SWMBO yet :eek: if I survive, I just need to learn how to take good pictures:LOL:
I turned 40 in March and my camera was a big surprise present. Not all things are bad at this age :D

Yep, best one ive used. Get the stick on one, not the one that hooks on to the camera.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008PRECYK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I asked this too a while back but forgot to order one due to a family bereavement. Just ordered from this link though!

I'm sorry but I can't remember who gave me advice about what settings for children that don't sit still. I've not had much chance to take photos recently but have just started again. Here is my son caught on the move. It's cropped a bit and only basic tweaks in ACR. I don't think it's completely sharp but certainly better than previous attempts:

5D mk3 High ISO performance is great.

Last weekend I was on the breakwater at Brixham to take long exposures and found a fisherman feeding a seal. This was 30 mins after sunset, about 10 mins after all twilight finished and it was pitch dark.

No flash as I didn't want to scare the seal so shot at H2, (ISO102600), I think my copy of lightroom has an issue showing the exif for this:) 24-105 lens at f4

Noisy but it was pitch dark

Nice captures. You can reduce that purple patch in the bottom right hand corner by lowering the vignetting slider in the lens correction tool. I find its the main cause of that issue as DPP doesn't seem to show it anywhere near as much (if at all).

Cheers. The camera sunned me to be honest. I was struggling to focus it was so dark, yet still got a record of the moment. Amazing camera.

Does anyone have trouble importing RAW files from their 5D3 into iPhoto on Mac? I've updated iPhoto to the newest version and still get a message up saying it is an unreadable format, but it will import some photos, just not all of them?

I've got mine finally, and really not sure if it is the best thing I've ever bought or somewhat an expensive mistake. I'm sure I'm not used it to enough, but I already see there is trouble with it being so light and small and there is no more cash left for the grip.

IQ - nothing special up to ISO800 compared to 1DsII - I couldn't easily tell them apart. After that 5D3 looks a little better and can go a lot further (with loads of noise by ISO 12800). It is a nice small improvement, but is this the best they could do in 8 years?!

AF is pretty complex. Some things work great, some required a lot of manual reading, some are just plain weird. Out of all my lenses 85mm required very significant microadjust (-9 or more). It was perfect on all my other bodies. Really weird. Ai-servo works in total darkness, but on the other hand can be simply too slow to react to a change in situation in sunlight. I am just really not sure if I should increase tracking speed or something? 1DsII and 1DIII just always do what I want without any trouble.

Finally, somehow, the AF point is displayed on a photo slightly higher up than it was pointed originally. Is this something "normal" or a matter of concern?

I've got mine finally, and really not sure if it is the best thing I've ever bought or somewhat an expensive mistake. I'm sure I'm not used it to enough, but I already see there is trouble with it being so light and small and there is no more cash left for the grip. IQ - nothing special up to ISO800 compared to 1DsII - I couldn't easily tell them apart. After that 5D3 looks a little better and can go a lot further (with loads of noise by ISO 12800). It is a nice small improvement, but is this the best they could do in 8 years?! AF is pretty complex. Some things work great, some required a lot of manual reading, some are just plain weird. Out of all my lenses 85mm required very significant microadjust (-9 or more). It was perfect on all my other bodies. Really weird. Ai-servo works in total darkness, but on the other hand can be simply too slow to react to a change in situation in sunlight. I am just really not sure if I should increase tracking speed or something? 1DsII and 1DIII just always do what I want without any trouble. Finally, somehow, the AF point is displayed on a photo slightly higher up than it was pointed originally. Is this something "normal" or a matter of concern?

Let me help you out with your issue my address is.....
Na but seriously if you are not happy with it send it back. The mk iii is a very serious piece of kit and not to be taken lightly. You know what you are doing so you know how everything works but if you are having second thoughts send it back :)

IQ - nothing special up to ISO800 compared to 1DsII - I couldn't easily tell them apart. After that 5D3 looks a little better and can go a lot further (with loads of noise by ISO 12800). It is a nice small improvement, but is this the best they could do in 8 years?!

AF is pretty complex. Some things work great, some required a lot of manual reading, some are just plain weird. Out of all my lenses 85mm required very significant microadjust (-9 or more). It was perfect on all my other bodies. Really weird. Ai-servo works in total darkness, but on the other hand can be simply too slow to react to a change in situation in sunlight. I am just really not sure if I should increase tracking speed or something? 1DsII and 1DIII just always do what I want without any trouble.

There must be variation from body to body (as expected). My 5DIII kills my 1DIV at high ISO, and AF speed and accuracy in any light. I haven't felt the need to micro-adjust any lenses on it yet, but most are adjusted on my 1DIV, especially my 85L which is on something stupid like -17 on the 1D and 0 on the 5D.

I've got mine finally, and really not sure if it is the best thing I've ever bought or somewhat an expensive mistake...

Well that's the first time I've ever heard the 5DMKIII described as a potentially 'expensive mistake'! :razz:

Just get out there and enjoy it Tomas... It's a wonderful camera! ;)
When we get to Skokholm, you can put it through its paces properly.
Cheers,
Si

I thought about getting a pukka rear screen protector for my 5d3 but didn't have time to order one before I went away on my trip to India. I realised the disposable screen cover for my iPhone is roughly the same size, so I cut one to size and stuck it on the 5D as a temporary measure. It's still doing stirling service after 2 months. Three quid for a pack of 10 from Amazon means it's cheap enough to just replace it every few months.

as for screen protectors!.>>> these are by far the cheapest items i have ever bought from flea-bay! .. just over a QUID for 6 back & top clear protectors :eek:

still got the first set on my 5D3 and still going strong after 7 months!:shrug: .. why pay silly money for glass or state of the art tech ones? ..the viewfinder on the 5D3 is tough glass anyway so only need a micro cover for that little bit more protection i think (just my opinion (y))

link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-screen...ography_Screen_Protectors&hash=item2c6e3637b3

as for screen protectors!.>>> these are by far the cheapest items i have ever bought from flea-bay! .. just over a QUID for 6 back & top clear protectors :eek:

still got the first set on my 5D3 and still going strong after 7 months!:shrug: .. why pay silly money for glass or state of the art tech ones? ..the viewfinder on the 5D3 is tough glass anyway so only need a micro cover for that little bit more protection i think (just my opinion (y))

link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-screen...ography_Screen_Protectors&hash=item2c6e3637b3

Just ordered a pack, for the sake of £1.25, and with 6 attempts chances are I can't screw it up entirely! :LOL:

link:

The better ones make it easier too see the screen in bright sunlight. At least, thats my experience. Ive found the Martin Fields ones increase the contrast slightly, and help reduce glare.
As with protectors for phones i find you get what you pay for, up to a point. Ive had some really poor quality ones that made the screen look fuzzy, would peel off at the corners etc.

The rear screen on the MKIII is slightly different to other cameras, in that its actually part of the LCD, so if it got damaged the whole LCD would need replacing as far as i can tell.

Although you dont have to use one, nor does it have to be hi teach, i dont really see £14 being silly money, not after spending £2000+ on the camera, and id like to think the glass ones would protect the screen better from digs etc (y)

Last edited:
your probably right Dave(y) ... you get what you pay for! .. for me these cheapies have been fine for my style of shooting' if i was to use my camera in a more professional capacity or expose it to harsher elements then i would deffo look at the better ones., for now i'm happy with the "somethings better than nothing" approach :)

Thanks for the critique Andy.

I agree with most of your points to be fair. The first essentially fades to black on the left due to the complete mess of a church notice board on the left hand side. I might try and recover some rim from it though to give an element of seperation.

The second I know what you mean and I had taken a lot in landscape (I generally shoot all portraits in landscape) but due to the bombsite of a room that had occured with 7 women getting ready, I had to go tight. Time constraints caused by the bride snapping her dress zip meant that I had to shoot and run on that one.

That 3rd one the detail on the shoe is the focus, not particularly visible on the size it is but don't worry it is on the larger shot.

4th I tried toning her face down but it just looked more wrong than having it the way it is. Taken on board though and I will have a look at what I can do.

Thanks for the critique though :D

Haha I know what you mean about a bombsite of a room... never seen anything like my wedding at the weekend... looked like there'd been an explosion of knickers, boxes, shoes, bags etc etc :LOL:

Brides are right messy buggers!

Well that's the first time I've ever heard the 5DMKIII described as a potentially 'expensive mistake'! :razz:

Just get out there and enjoy it Tomas... It's a wonderful camera! ;)
When we get to Skokholm, you can put it through its paces properly.
Cheers,
Si

:LOL: I think I got overwhelmed by the settings on it. Any idea what AF scenario will make it behave just like the 1Ds? I.e. for general purpose, totally random and unpredictable but not very fast subjects? I.e. someone interesting gets in the frame and my old subject goes away and becomes irrelevant. 1Ds always handled this very quickly somehow. The 5D takes like 2s before it changes its mind and I miss the shot.
Auto ISO I think gave me more grief than benefit for anything moving. I'll switch back to good old ways until I can use full M with auto ISO exp. compensation.

Then I think this needs a grip for any portrait or wedding work. The problem is there is no way on hell I am paying further £300 canon wants and I don't want non sealed 3rd party stuff (which may cost £1940 very easily)

Anyone seen the latest from the Magic Lantern group.
Seem like they have got raw video working to a usable standard now.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10324/...continuous-raw-recording-on-canon-5d-mark-iii

These are some seriously high video resolutions.
Full frame mode -

1920 x 1280 (3:2) – great for anamorphic
1920 x 1080 (16:9)
1280 x 720 (16:9)
1280 x 1280 (1:1)

1:1 crop modes -

3592 x 1320 – I get some drop frames at this res
2880 x 1320
2560 x 1080
1920 x 1080 (full HD crop mode like GH2)
1280 x 720 (the lower the resolution the more telephoto the crop)

It almost makes me wish i actually used video now.

Check this PDF out. It explains how the AF system works and gives some good examples.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59805227/EOS_5D_Mark_III_AF_setting_guidebook.pdf

Thanks it helps a lot, I am just trying to understand where would slightly drunk wedding guest would stand on that list? :LOL: {I don't shoot sports but never say never}

1DIII was clearly perfect for these, maybe that's why it didn't work (for some) for football :D

edit: just done a Clevedon "sunset" shoot. (if that can be called sunset :LOL: ) It was quite nice using it, live view, level indicator even if my tripod does the same. Perhaps canon could do a swivel screen in mk4 for low angle shots?
Noise performance is very decent at ISO100 and can be pushed a little bit, but once you go a bit over a stop in shadows chroma noise is all over place. No different to 1DsII in the slightest. Hopefully dust won't become an issue - there is one spot already.

Last edited:
There must be variation from body to body (as expected). My 5DIII kills my 1DIV at high ISO, and AF speed and accuracy in any light. I haven't felt the need to micro-adjust any lenses on it yet, but most are adjusted on my 1DIV, especially my 85L which is on something stupid like -17 on the 1D and 0 on the 5D.

I was using my 85L at nearish distances at first and it was fine, but the first gig I went to I noticed immediately that it was out. I think it was around -7. My sigma 50mm1.4 was waaaaaay out. So much so it took me a long time to get it close but I think I'll need to get it calibrated to the camera as I wasn't happy when I finished. Annoying as it was 100% on my 60D I gave away!

Back