Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Not sure if I'll keep mine. I have to say there are things I like about the 5DIII but I wish it had a couple of more frames per second. The silent shutter is great, large rear screen and big file size. Going to give it another weekend but I think I might just sell it.

A 1DX will sort that for you !

It's not the buffer that's the issue, it only shoots a max of about 6 fps, if it was 8 or 9 I could live with it. I think a 1DX is on the cards but it's a want more than a need.

I've just bought one to go with my MKIV. 6 frames a second seems positively pedestrian after 10. It would be nice if it was faster but I can live with it. Overall I think it's a great camera and have used it a lot since I bought it. Like the full frame so much I'm thinking about trading my Mk IV for a 1DX although a friend thinks I've got the best of both worlds with the current set up. The focusing system is pretty complex and I've not really had time to try out the various cases to see if one suits me better than the other. I mainly use it for wildlife and just use case 1 at the moment. Have got hold of a copy of Arthur Morris's set up guide for the 5D so will try some of his recommendations. Found his guide for the MkIV pretty useful.

I've just bought one to go with my MKIV. 6 frames a second seems positively pedestrian after 10. It would be nice if it was faster but I can live with it. Overall I think it's a great camera and have used it a lot since I bought it. Like the full frame so much I'm thinking about trading my Mk IV for a 1DX although a friend thinks I've got the best of both worlds with the current set up. The focusing system is pretty complex and I've not really had time to try out the various cases to see if one suits me better than the other. I mainly use it for wildlife and just use case 1 at the moment. Have got hold of a copy of Arthur Morris's set up guide for the 5D so will try some of his recommendations. Found his guide for the MkIV pretty useful.

Gaz,

If you need the crop on the mkiv, stay with it but if its not that important to your shooting needs, then jump for the 1DX, you will certainly love it !

Nice one fella - only reason i'm keeping the 5d3 with 1d4 and not merging them for a 1dx, is the silent shutter on the 1d is too noisy for some of my wildlife species, not a big factor to some, but my badgers legged it when i used the 1d lol

Last edited:
Gaz,

If you need the crop on the mkiv, stay with it but if its not that important to your shooting needs, then jump for the 1DX, you will certainly love it !

Thanks Tug. I will probably run the MkIV and the 5D for the rest of this year so I can truly get an idea of how important the 1.3 crop is to me. It's a bit of the new toy syndrome at the moment but the MkIV is a fine camera and I will be putting it to good use week after next hopefully on dolphins and ospreys.

I thought about getting a1DX but its nice to have two bodies with different lenses on to choose from. It's not such a huge drop from the 1.3 crop. If it was coming from a 1.6 crop camera like the 7d then I'd probably notice it far more.

Hi Drew.

Some nice images on your site recently. I will drop you a copy of the Arthur Morris guide when I get five minutes.

Last edited:
...my badgers legged it when i used the 1d lol

It would be nice to just sit and watch the badgers... It's something I've never done. I'm sick of seeing the little buggers dead at the side of the road. Given the number I see on my travels, I'm amazed that there are any left! :(

With regard to the 1DMKIV and having owned both, as far as I'm concerned it's not as good a camera as the 5DMKIII. Unfortunately, I can't justify the purchase of a 1Dx but luckily the 5DMKIII is more than capable of handling anything I throw at it. :)

I am finding that my 5D III is underexposing compared to my 7D. I seem to always need +1 exposure compensation. This is using evaluative metering shooting portraits with the focus point generally on an eye. Anyone else experienced this?

I have tried two different bodies as the first one had a faulty rear control wheel and it was the same on both.

I find the same thing, at least in relation to my 60D.
From what ive read the higher end bodies are set to preserve more highlights, although ive not read any actual confirmation of this.

Oh that makes sense then. I suppose that it is exposing to the right for you with the expectation that you will adjust the levels in pp.

I am finding that my 5D III is underexposing compared to my 7D. I seem to always need +1 exposure compensation. This is using evaluative metering shooting portraits with the focus point generally on an eye. Anyone else experienced this?

I have tried two different bodies as the first one had a faulty rear control wheel and it was the same on both.

Not found that on mine and I've just spent two weeks almost solid shooting portraits with it. What sort of lighting were you using? Natural, studio?

Shot this with a single flash in a westcott apollo umbrella softbox last week in my lounge. Apart from a little burn on the background near the face that's it on the PP.

medium.jpg

Not found that on mine and I've just spent two weeks almost solid shooting portraits with it. What sort of lighting were you using? Natural, studio?

Shot this with a single flash in a westcott apollo umbrella softbox last week in my lounge. Apart from a little burn on the background near the face that's it on the PP.

medium.jpg

Generally natrual lighting.

Here is an example shot with +1 exposure compensation, I had to increase exposure a bit in lightroom aswel I think and it still looks a little underexposed to me:

780B9848.jpg by biotecbob, on Flickr

Difficult, looks cool so I'd adjust the white balance first. Was it an overcast day, the background looks quite dark. Were you in shadow?

I've honestly not found I've had to adjust all the time. What were the settings, what lens etc?

Another of the series I shot was +3EV but that was dialed in on the camera as I was too lazy to spot meter.
150935822.jpg

Last edited:
are their any hidden settings that are a not to have enabled on the 5D MK3 for inside churches/chapels for low light situations?

YES, make sure you turn off external peripheral anti aliasing setting hidden deep in the menu It is really important you do this before stepping foot in any church or low light situation. For obvious reasons!

Last edited:
YES, make sure you turn off external peripheral anti aliasing setting hidden deep in the menu It is really important you do this before stepping foot in any church or low light situation. For obvious reasons!

umm where is that feature hidden and what is it called in the menu?

Unless DR has some warehouse in UK, I think you got some kind of returned item. Normally DR dispatches from Hong Kong and that would take at least a couple of days to arrive. Sad to hear the Grip is not functioning correctly.

Only just seen this Chee, sorry. I ended up sending the faulty grip back to DigitalRev via DHL (£75!) and I had a new replacement grip within a week which was great, and more importantly worked exactly as it should.

Just waiting on DR to refund my postage now. I have to say their customer services and level of contact throughout the saga were really quite good. (y)

Hi all

I'm seriously thinking of an upgrade to a 5d3 (even got the blessing of her indoors!!) but as usual the budget needs to be stretched.

I'm considering the tamron 24-70 f2.8 vc instead of the 24-105 F4L, but my real question is regards the longer zoom.

I have a 70-300 F4-5.6 IS USM (non L) lens that, on a crop sensor, needs careful handling to get good results at anything over 200 mm. To be fair it's pretty good from 70 to 200 mm.

would the larger (less dense pixel wise?) sensor of the 5D3 help the 70-300 produce better results or would it just highlight its deficiencies?

The only help i can offer regarding the 70-300 is that mine too was a bit softer over about 220mm on my 60D, and 40D before that, and was no better on my mates 5DMKII (this was before i got my MKIII).

I had the Tamron (two copies, both faulty) and its a nice lens but you may miss the extra reach you're used to when going to FF. If i was starting again I'd get another 24-105 over the Tamron, but thats just me.

Thanks for that Dave,

I was thinking of the Tamron as I love my EFs 17-55 F2.8 on the 60d and the Tamron seems to match that on full frame. I must admit to being tempted by the extra reach of the 24-105 (and the red stripe).

The 24-105 is indeed a very good lens. In my opinion even better than my Canon 24-70 2.8L which has been stolen. Maybe it is the IS which helps me to get sharper images, but OOC images are just stunningly sharp. Thanks for that Dave :p

Thanks for that Dave,

I was thinking of the Tamron as I love my EFs 17-55 F2.8 on the 60d and the Tamron seems to match that on full frame. I must admit to being tempted by the extra reach of the 24-105 (and the red stripe).

Dont forget 70mm on FF equates to 88mm on a crop, so you will find the 24-70 to be a bit shorter on a 5D than the 17-55 on the 60D. It might not matter much but i personally found it a bit of a negative, especially after shooting with crops for the past 7 years. As much as i love my Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II i find i max out the zoom range most of the time, and still wish for more.

And that leads me nicely on to....

The 24-105 is indeed a very good lens. In my opinion even better than my Canon 24-70 2.8L which has been stolen. Maybe it is the IS which helps me to get sharper images, but OOC images are just stunningly sharp. Thanks for that Dave :p

If it hadn't been for the wedding last month i dont think i would have got rid of the 24-105L (actually i probably wouldn't have brought the 5D either).
As ive said above, i love the 24-70 but i can see now that the 24-105 was more suited to me, even though it might have a lesser overall IQ.

And before you ask, no, i wont swap lol.

Since buying a 5D3 my 1D MkIV hardly comes out of the bag. Probably taking 75% - 25% pics in favour of the 5D. Don't even miss the 1.3 crop factor. Think there might be a MkIV for sale soon and a 1DX taking its place.

I felt the same Gaz... The 1DMKIV came up short on so many occasions compared to the 5DMKIII. I haven't found anything yet that this camera doesn't do well at!

By the way, I'll be down your neck of the woods on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to getting on to Skokholm on Monday morning. :)

Hi Simon

Forecast doesn't look too bad. Never been on skokholm. Tend to go to skomer but missed it this year due to bad weather. Just got back from Yorkshire, had a day at bempton cliffs where I used the 5d on BIF for the first time.

Monday I will be in Aviemore having a crack at the ospreys again but I'm hoping that I may meet up with some of the group if they stay over after coming off skokholm. Enjoy it.

Monday I will be in Aviemore having a crack at the ospreys again but I'm hoping that I may meet up with some of the group if they stay over after coming off skokholm. Enjoy it.

My GF is on her way up to Aviemore today, she has organised a school reunion up there. I've not been for a couple of years but have always enjoyed shooting up there. so much scenery and a complete opposite to what i normally shoot.

Talking of which, its London Gay pride tomorrow so ill be going along to hopefully get some "interesting" shots. It was quite a laugh last year with my 60D, im hoping for better tomorrow with the 5D.

Anyone else going?

Ah, the ospreys! The eggs on the Dyfi nest are due to hatch soon... I just hope we don't have a repeat of the idiotic behaviour seen at the beginning of the month when a pair of OAP's walked down the railway line to try and photograph the nest! :bang:

I'd love to get some decent shots but it's impossible with ours... I reckon a trip to Rutland or Scotland might be on the cards next year.

If you're coming down to West Hook when we get off the island, it would be good to say hi. I could well stop until the Saturday but it depends on the weather. :)

If you're coming down to West Hook when we get off the island, it would be good to say hi. I could well stop until the Saturday but it depends on the weather. :)

Had a look in at the Dyfi project last year. Just after they had removed the remaining chick and fed it after the really bad weather that had accounted for the other chicks. Was great to see it doing so well with a bit of help.

Hoping the 5D will give me an edge with the ospreys. It seems to hold onto the focus better than the MkIV although the MkIV seems to initially be a bit quicker getting on focus. If it had 8fps I'd buy another but I do miss the machine gun option that the Mk IV gives me

Had a look in at the Dyfi project last year. Just after they had removed the remaining chick and fed it after the really bad weather that had accounted for the other chicks. Was great to see it doing so well with a bit of help...

That was a bad time... The poor little bugger never made it in the end despite surviving our 'summer'. He was found drowned in Africa. :(

...Hoping the 5D will give me an edge with the ospreys. It seems to hold onto the focus better than the MkIV although the MkIV seems to initially be a bit quicker getting on focus...

That's exactly what I found... The 1DMKIV found the target more quickly but the 5DMKIII stays locked on. The difference is negligible but definitely noticeable! :) Given that I spend a fair bit of time shooting jets, I find the 6.5fps good enough when there's a Tornado hurtling past me laterally at 400kts! :D

Back