canon 70d with canon 300mm f/4 tele

Name
Guy
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, is the canon 300mm f4L telephoto lens compatable
with a canon 70d?
Also what's the views on a 18-135mm lens please?

Last edited:
Hi all, is the canon 300mm f4L telephoto lens compatable
with a canon 70d?
Also what's the views on a 18-135mm lens please?

Yes a combo I use 70d+300f4+1.4 extender

The 70D is compatible with EF-S and EF lenses including the 300mm f/4L

EF-S lenses do not fit full frame Canon bodies e.g. 1DX, 1DS, 5D, 6D or if I recall the 1D.

The 18-135mm EF-S seems quite well respected on one of the other forums I frequent, but I've not used it myself.

"Also what's the views on a 18-135mm lens please?"

I replaced my 18-55mm Kit Lens with one of these and love it!!

18-135 is a massive improvement on the kit lens - all being well with half-decent light, you might even be able to have working AF on the 300mm F4 even with a 2x teleconverter (which would be 600mm F8) (but I can't promise anything above F6.3).

18-135 is a massive improvement on the kit lens - all being well with half-decent light, you might even be able to have working AF on the 300mm F4 even with a 2x teleconverter (which would be 600mm F8) (but I can't promise anything above F6.3).

The 300mm f4 will only manual focus with the canon 2x TC on the 70D, you would need to look at one of the 3rd party TCs like kenko pro which might work, but you'll need to do a bit of research to find which one

I can confirm EF-S lenses do not fit a 1D, I have a 1D MKII & MKIV & have looked at the 18-135mm EFS IS
as I was wondering if it would be a better solution than my 28-135mm IS USM because my 17-35 sigma's AF has stopped working.
My theory being the extra reach of the 18-135 covered both ends (almost) of the 17-35 & 28-135 in one lens.
I still use the 17-35 of course as I am not unused to using MF.
Funny how we all have different needs stemming from background info not explained...

The 300mm f4 will only manual focus with the canon 2x TC on the 70D, you would need to look at one of the 3rd party TCs like kenko pro which might work, but you'll need to do a bit of research to find which one

My experience is pretty much with with Kenko teleconverters and they certainly don't cause an autofocus lockout at or below F9 fully open. They're also reasonably priced (compared to Canon) and do the job well. The best places to look are Amazon and eBay.

Look up CameraRec Toby on youtube, he has some great videos about the 70D & which lenses to get, inc opinions on the 18-135 :)

Back