Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Thanks for that Bob, I'm still undecided whether to go for the Canon grip, ideally would like to have a look at the Mieke grip "In my hands" as it were, but there are no local shops that stock them in this end of Kent. Ah well i have until pay day to decide.

Thanks for that Bob, I'm still undecided whether to go for the Canon grip, ideally would like to have a look at the Mieke grip "In my hands" as it were, but there are no local shops that stock them in this end of Kent. Ah well i have until pay day to decide.

I would personally pay the extra and have the Canon one, which I use myself My logic is when you are going to pay x amount for a very good camera why put a cheap £50 grip on it? I use the Canon one which is very well built and feels nice and solid when using with the 7D Mark II, Just get the best grip and be done with, if you go for the Mieke one you most likely will be always looking up at the Canon one thinking that is better, so you might aswell get it in the first place, just my thoughts...

Last edited:
I would personally pay the extra and have the Canon one, which I use myself My logic is when you are going to pay x amount for a very good camera why put a cheap £50 grip on it? I use the Canon one which is very well built and feels nice and solid when using with the 7D Mark II, Just get the best grip and be done with, if you go for the Mieke one you most likely will be always looking up at the Canon one thinking that is better, so you might aswell get it in the first place, just my thoughts...

Though I don't have a 7DII (yet) I often hear this argument when when people talk about 3rd party grips. Fine, if you have the money, buy the Canon original, but the (many) 3rd party grips are there because the manufacturer's (in this case Canon) grips is so overpriced. I have bought a Meike grip for my Nikon which was a fraction of the cost of the original, and I have been very happy with it. :) It is not something I use all the time, but for 4-5 years it hasn't let me down. That obvious;y doesn't tell anyone how well a 7DII grip is, but as long as you read some user reviews, then at least you make an informed choice. ;)

If the grip wasn't so cheap, I would never have bought the Nikon grip. And that is one reason why many buy 3rd party grips. Some people have a budget that they have to live within. :rolleyes:

.....My logic is when you are going to pay x amount for a very good camera why put a cheap £50 grip on it?......

Which is not dissimilar to 'when you're going to pay x amount for a super-telephoto then why put a cheap £1500 camera behind it?'.......supplementary items are valued differently by people.

Bob

Which is not dissimilar to 'when you're going to pay x amount for a super-telephoto then why put a cheap £1500 camera behind it?'.......supplementary items are valued differently by people.

Bob

Thats like saying you are going to buy a 600mm f/4 and you should only use a 1Dx on it? Which isn't true in all fairness. If you buy a Super-Telephoto lens and put a 350D on the back that would be abit out of proportion imho, The current Canon 7D II, 5D III, 5Ds/r, 1Dx are Canons high end bodies so to speak which are all more than capable to capture some great images in the right hands, I and many others I'm sure use the 7D Mark II as it is currently the best Crop Sensor camera in the canon line up with its features could also be the best crop sensor camera currently to what other brands have to offer? The crop sensor giving you more reach for in the field which in some situations has been crucial for me and the reason I got the camera along with many other features I mentioned in my review.

As you say different items are valued differently by different people which I completely agree with, so its a free country to say what you wish. These are my views on the case that I openly post, your views my be different I'm sure but hey thats life :)

Last edited:
I had a looked at all the options, took in the discussions above, read the review of the Meike grip, and was just about to pull the trigger on the E-bay deal, when i decided to have a look around for the bank holiday sales. Seems like hdewcameras has the best new deal on it at £155 plus free shipping, but i decided to be cautious and have a look around at the other shops/sites too, finally ended up at MPB who were doing a mint second hand one at £144, so i have now decided to go for that one.

Now all i need for my 7D mk2 is the appropriate Arca/Swiss fitting L plate/bracket to go with the camera plus the grip. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

I just looked on the Sunwayfoto website, seems like they havn't produced an L plate for the 7D with grip as yet.

Just received the Meike grip today, looks good and feels good with the 150-600 on the camera. Havent tried the wireless remote yet - not allowed to use it again till my birthday lol!
As for the difference in price between oem and copies like this if Canon made them cheaper I'd buy theirs, at the end of the day its only a battery holder with some buttons and switches, they cant claim r&d for every new grip they make - they deliberately make them different so they don't fit other bodies, surely they could make a universal grip?

Just received the Meike grip today, looks good and feels good with the 150-600 on the camera. Havent tried the wireless remote yet - not allowed to use it again till my birthday lol!
As for the difference in price between oem and copies like this if Canon made them cheaper I'd buy theirs, at the end of the day its only a battery holder with some buttons and switches, they cant claim r&d for every new grip they make - they deliberately make them different so they don't fit other bodies, surely they could make a universal grip?

What 150-600 do you have and what's your opinion. I've been looking at the sigma sport.

I've got the contemporary version. Very impressed much better than the 150-500. Found it hard to justify the price difference between the two versions after reading reviews

Hmm, been looking into more reviews and you're probably right. The contemporary looks plenty sufficient. digitalRev have them for £660. Can't argue with that.
I paid £579 from simplyelectronics, wasn't too sure about using them but they beat everybody else's price at the time by £100. Took two weeks for delivery no complaints from me :)

I paid £579 from simplyelectronics, wasn't too sure about using them but they beat everybody else's price at the time by £100. Took two weeks for delivery no complaints from me :)
You must be one of the lucky ones. I've had nothing but grief from Simply Electronics! :(

Yeah. Simply electronics is not a company I would ever touch with a barge pole. I ended up spending a bit more from Amazon. It give me price of mind that it's a UK import and their customer service is good.

Receive the lens last night so hasn't had a chance to play with it yet.

You must be one of the lucky ones. I've had nothing but grief from Simply Electronics! :(

Yeah. Simply electronics is not a company I would ever touch with a barge pole. I ended up spending a bit more from Amazon. It give me price of mind that it's a UK import and their customer service is good.

Receive the lens last night so hasn't had a chance to play with it yet.

I've bought from panamoz and portus recently but they didn't have the sigma in stock, used my credit card and I was fully expecting some grief from simply after reading some of the reviews and was almost ready to start a chargeback when I got an out for delivery email :)

I've bought from panamoz and portus recently but they didn't have the sigma in stock, used my credit card and I was fully expecting some grief from simply after reading some of the reviews and was almost ready to start a chargeback when I got an out for delivery email :)
Just bought a !DX from Simply, quoted up to 10 days for delivery, arrived within time ( 9 days ) , I bought my 50D from them a few years ago, but have used Digitalrev and Onestop since. I called HDEW but they don't do the 1DX and Simply was the cheapest I could find. I did pay with Paypal, pay after delivery so felt pretty safe.

Just bought a !DX from Simply, quoted up to 10 days for delivery, arrived within time ( 9 days ) , I bought my 50D from them a few years ago, but have used Digitalrev and Onestop since. I called HDEW but they don't do the 1DX and Simply was the cheapest I could find. I did pay with Paypal, pay after delivery so felt pretty safe.
Looks like they might be getting their act together!

At the risk of lighting the blue touch paper here, is it safe to assume that Canon have now resolved the focus issues that affected early adopters?

I've just bought a Kenko KE-MCP1DXC DGX 1.4x Pro300 converter for use with my 7D Mk2 and Canon 70-300 f4-5.6L lens and it over-exposes by about 1 stop.
Is this normal? Do I have to set the camera to -1 stop when using the converter? Not the end of the world I suppose, but a bit annoying. :(
Canon converters are not recommended for this particular lens (rear element crash I think), hence the Kenko.

Last edited:

Have used them a couple of times and transactions went smoothly each time.

My 7D2 has, literally, been redelivered this morning after going back to check for AF issues. I paid for and sent it to Newbury. They did the rest. A couple of weeks turn around which is pretty good. Would appear the camera is fine, so must be me !!
Must admit i sent back when i (thought) my barcelona stuff from june was oof but, after returning, they don't appear as bad as I thought. May have been the JD .....

Will have play this evening.

Canon converters are not recommended for this particular lens (rear element crash I think), hence the Kenco.

Your right, I can guarantee it would not be a good idea using the 1.4x on the 70-300mm as you might lose a few layers of glass trying to get the converter on :D

Interesting to hear its overexposing, mind you the lens isn't really made to take converters so I guess leaving it at -1EV is your only option, out of pure interest how good is the IQ that the combo produces?

At the risk of lighting the blue touch paper here, is it safe to assume that Canon have now resolved the focus issues that affected early adopters?

It's a good question and well worth revisiting.

The 1.0.4 firmware update was labelled as fixing an issue with one named lens: a 70-200 from memory. Didn't say anything about other lenses and it didn't change the behaviour of mine (but I don't have that lens anyway).

I have adapted the way I use it so getting better results but still have issues around inconsistency. Some easy shots can still be mushy and occasionally it refuses to focus as if in some fugue state even though it has a decent contrast point to lock on to.

Other times it amazes me - got a good focus lock in hazy moonlight for a grab shot.

The lack of recent postings does seem to suggest that either people are getting the hang of it or the newer builds aren't affected.

John.

I've had two clones & two genuine Canon grips, the only problem I've ever had is the rubber peeling of one of the Genuine grips !. I've got a Mieke grip on my 6D & when (if) I replace my 7d with the MKII I'll be buying Mieke again :)

It's a good question and well worth revisiting.

The 1.0.4 firmware update was labelled as fixing an issue with one named lens: a 70-200 from memory. Didn't say anything about other lenses and it didn't change the behaviour of mine (but I don't have that lens anyway).

I have adapted the way I use it so getting better results but still have issues around inconsistency. Some easy shots can still be mushy and occasionally it refuses to focus as if in some fugue state even though it has a decent contrast point to lock on to.

Other times it amazes me - got a good focus lock in hazy moonlight for a grab shot.

The lack of recent postings does seem to suggest that either people are getting the hang of it or the newer builds aren't affected.

John.

Thanks for that. I'm in agreement that the number of posts re the autofocus are currently quite slim, suggesting that people are starting to get used to it or have given up and chosen another model.

I think there was so much expectation about being the poor man's 1DX without thinking exactly what the extra dosh brought.

Your right, I can guarantee it would not be a good idea using the 1.4x on the 70-300mm as you might lose a few layers of glass trying to get the converter on :D

Interesting to hear its overexposing, mind you the lens isn't really made to take converters so I guess leaving it at -1EV is your only option, out of pure interest how good is the IQ that the combo produces?
I've only just done the briefest of tests under poor lighting conditions, so nothing conclusive yet Joe. I'll post some images when I get more time.

Anyone done this update yet ?

Yep just done it myself, Tested the camera with the 16-35mm f/2.8L II and the focus seems to a little more spot on every time, specially when tracking in AI Servo mode there seems to be a noticeable different IMHO, I don't use this lens a lot on the 7D II so others users may see a much more improved upgrade than I have. The camera took a little while to update for me (5mins) I don't use the GPS so haven't incounted any issues relating to that hence one of the main aspects for the update. Just for interest I have also tested the 70-300mm L & 500mm f/4L also and a couple of other lenses and I can't see any AF improvement on those, mind you I'm only doing a in the house test at the moment.

image1-4.JPG

Back