canon 7d or 1DMK3

Hi Tomas,

My issue wasn't with the wide-angle side of things... I think that's pretty well covered. :)

The problem lies at the telephoto end. Canon's rationale seems to be that if you want high quality long-reach, you should buy a 1Dx and a 600mm f/4L. Whilst I'm sure we'd all love to be in a situation where we could afford that kind of investment, the truth is that there's a void that needs to be filled with a high-spec crop sensor 1D body. The 7D has existed with no real change apart from a good firmware upgrade and it's lagging a long way behind the competition. As much as it pains me to say it, the Nikon D7100 is the camera to beat with a crop sensor and Canon should have stepped up to match it or better it at least 18 months ago! The 18mp sensor in the 7D is now woefully inadequate by comparison and the only real attempt we've seen from Canon to redress the balance has been in the shape of the 70D. :)

Thanks for a long reply. Sorry I meant MP not mm in the post above (typing too fast :) ) It gave my post rather odd meaning

I agree about long end. I have my 200mm on FF and can't really do much with that to be honest. Running people is probably the limit and I'd rather not sell my kidney to buy a 400mm f/2.8, which would only help me with ducks and a similar subjects. With a TC it would be where I want it to be, but let's face it, it won't happen any time soon.

However lens hire is another way. If I suddenly wake up and decide to take a few wildlife shots I could hire one for a day for my mk3. I appreciate it is no good for daily work, but twice a year it is fine.

I like everybody else have done the same, had a 7D, got fed up with ISO performance and swapped to a 1D Mark III. So glad I did. Mine suffers with oil spots on the sensor though, seems to be a common problem with the Mark III. Only upgrade I would make now is to a Mark IV.

Comparing tests from a fairly static subject in average light at ISO 800-1600 with the 7D or 1D3 is is fairly pointless. The noise is OK but nothing special - you just end up with a shutter speed that wasn't really necessary.

It's about real world shooting - when you have to use 3200 or 6400 @ max aperture @ 400mm in pouring rain or light so poor that you're also resigned to dialing in some under exposure to even retain a sorry 1/100 for moving subjects that I found that the 1D3 to be far better than the 7D.

Last edited:
Back