Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Thinking of flogging my M to EFS mount adaptor. Still haven't used it after all these months and just can't see me getting round to it.

The 22mm hasn't been off the camera since the day it arrived in the post!

Might be interested in that. Is it a canon one?

I'm just trying to source a 22mm in the UK so that I get it in time for Xmas. All of UK eBay sellers aren't accepting offers below £70 and ideally I don't want to pay more than £65 (funds are low at the moment). I think it is due to them having limited stock, so they don't want to give them away.

Has anyone bought anything from any if the Chinese sellers? Is the shipping likely to be fast??

Might be interested in that. Is it a canon one?

I'm just trying to source a 22mm in the UK so that I get it in time for Xmas. All of UK eBay sellers aren't accepting offers below £70 and ideally I don't want to pay more than £65 (funds are low at the moment). I think it is due to them having limited stock, so they don't want to give them away.

Has anyone bought anything from any if the Chinese sellers? Is the shipping likely to be fast??

The likelihood of getting a Chinese sourced 22mm delivered before Christmas are pretty low.

For the sake of a fiver the UK stocked 22mm it is still a great price.

Cameraprice buster list the lens this am at £177 from Amazon to £204 from Argos. Loads of other suppliers in beween.

Steve

Yep, genuine Canon one. I'll give you a nudge if I decide to list it in the classifieds.

^Thanks mate. I'd be happy to take it.

Just picked up my 'M' from Argos. The £10 deal was no longer on in store, but it doesn't bother me too much. Just glad to get hold of one before they run out.

Just charging the battery as I type, but so far first impressions are excellent. I love the size and quality feel to everything. The kit lens is surprisingly well made. You can understand why it cost £700 initially. I'm looking forward to getting the 22mm lens on it as it will make the whole package very compact indeed.

Very pleased so far - let's see how the functionality goes once the battery is charged.

This is becoming one of the most viewed threads on the forum and quite right too. :clap:

Hopefully as we develop further and the weather lets us out for a few hours we will get more tips and workaroubds to share. Then a day when an M3 comes to town.....

My eldest son has just bought a silver M.

S

Hopefully as we develop further and the weather lets us out for a few hours we will get more tips and workaroubds to share. Then a day when an M3 comes to town.....

My eldest son has just bought a silver M.

S

Must admit if the M3 is a descent upgrade then it will be an automatic purchase ;)

I'm off to Fowey tonight as relatives are visiting. I'm taking the M and hoping to slip away for a while....

You guys have me GASing for a 22mm pancake now... :)

Must admit if the M3 is a descent upgrade then it will be an automatic purchase ;)

I'm off to Fowey tonight as relatives are visiting. I'm taking the M and hoping to slip away for a while....

At present I thimk an M3 would be a day of release buy for me too. Cleaned my 5c and 50D again this morning. Wrapped and bagged. Ominous.... very omonous.

I am hoping for some better light at Wells Cathedral tomorrow but a South Coast run planned for Monday. Only travelling with the M Kit plus the EF-S 10-18. Got a hankering for the M 11-22 so need to see whether I 'need' it which would see me getting rid of the 10-18.

Steve

At present I thimk an M3 would be a day of release buy for me too. Cleaned my 5c and 50D again this morning. Wrapped and bagged. Ominous.... very omonous.

I am hoping for some better light at Wells Cathedral tomorrow but a South Coast run planned for Monday. Only travelling with the M Kit plus the EF-S 10-18. Got a hankering for the M 11-22 so need to see whether I 'need' it which would see me getting rid of the 10-18.

Steve

I'm hoping to get out as well for a few hours tomorrow, weather is looking perfect. Relatives will still be here so the dog might need a long walk :rolleyes:

If your still undecided on the 11-22 after Xmas I'm happy to take a few comparison shots. The missus has got me that lens for Xmas and I've bought her the 11-18 for her 100d. I have the adapter.

I'm hoping to get out as well for a few hours tomorrow, weather is looking perfect. Relatives will still be here so the dog might need a long walk :rolleyes:

If your still undecided on the 11-22 after Xmas I'm happy to take a few comparison shots. The missus has got me that lens for Xmas and I've bought her the 11-18 for her 100d. I have the adapter.

The 100D is quite cute and as it uses the same battery as the M, you have a ready supply of spares!

I sure you mean the 10-18 - that is a ni eens and has a very quick AF on my 50D. Works well on the M.

Likely would take you up on the comparison offer between the 2 UWA lenses. I have a fall back as I also have an EF-S 10-22 as well so selling on the 10-18 would not leave me lost for a UWA for the 50D.

All becomes moot as each day passes thr lightewight kit is first choice.

Steve

Now there's a picture to make an old Londoner like me homesick. Certainly a good one, given no flash

Good old Northern Line!

Steve (Ex Stockwell, Oval and Kentish Town....Northern Line user.)

Last edited:
Now there's a picture to make an old Londoner like me homesick. Certainly a good one, given no flash

Good old Northern Line!

Steve (Ex Stockwell, Oval and Kentish Town....Northern Line user.)

Thanks Steve.

Am liking your London pics!

Thanks Matt, I very much doubt I would have got as many had I took my 70d,

And 1 more I managed to get

london 31 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

With all the mention of the wide angles, I will have to borrow my dads 10-20 sigma and see how that works with the adapter.

Michael

I certainly don"t miss the crowds.

Bath is mad till Sunday evening when the Xmas market finishes. I will stay away till then.

Steve

Just been trying to do some tethered shooting with the EOS-M and so far I've not had any success. I've updated to the latest Canon EOS Utility 2 (Mavericks version, there doesn't seem to be one for Yosemite yet) and have LR5.7.

With the M, EOS Utility 2 doesn't offer any options for remote shooting. In Lightroom the control panel pops up when selected and it can see the camera, but doesn't allow any remote picture taking.

Both allow tethered shooting on my EOS 50D, including Live View shooting on the EOS Utility 2.

Does anyone know if this is an 'error' or a 'feature'?

Just tried the Sunpak flash again and it's throwing up some problems at certain apertures and ISOs.....hard to say what is happening exactly (works perfect at certain settings) but I'm guessing it's outdated firmware. Works perfectly on my 5Dmk3 on all settings and apertures but obviously the mk3 predates the M.

It's a shame as I thought I'd cracked it. Back to the drawing board I go!

Just been trying to do some tethered shooting with the EOS-M and so far I've not had any success. I've updated to the latest Canon EOS Utility 2 (Mavericks version, there doesn't seem to be one for Yosemite yet) and have LR5.7.

With the M, EOS Utility 2 doesn't offer any options for remote shooting. In Lightroom the control panel pops up when selected and it can see the camera, but doesn't allow any remote picture taking.

Both allow tethered shooting on my EOS 50D, including Live View shooting on the EOS Utility 2.

Does anyone know if this is an 'error' or a 'feature'?
No tethered shooting with the Eos M as far as I know, which is a shame.

Last edited:
No tethered shooting with the Eos M as far as I know, which is a shame.
Hmm... Quite disappointed by that. Bit of an oversight by Canon if you ask me.

Managed to take the M out this afternoon before the light finally went. So far I'm impressed. The AF speed is better than expected and generally the touchscreen is a joy to use. The kit lens isn't the sharpest lens I've ever used, but I'm comparing it to decent L glass. Also I found lower ISO speeds to be noisy, but nothing that can't be corrected in post. Again, I'm comparing it to a 5D3. I do find the jpegs that the camera produces to be pretty awful. They look over processed. This is with out of the box settings, so maybe some tweaking is needed. Thank goodness it records raw files. From the few images I took, in poor light, I've managed to create some very nice shots with a minimal tweaking. For the physical size of the thing I'm massively impressed. Need to snag one of those pancake lenses now...

Does anyone do anything special in Lightroom (NR, sharpening?) with their images or are you all using jpegs out of the camera?

Last edited:
Managed to take the M out this afternoon before the light finally went. So far I'm impressed. The AF speed is better than expected and generally the touchscreen is a joy to use. The kit lens isn't the sharpest lens I've ever used, but I'm comparing it to decent L glass. Also I found lower ISO speeds to be noisy, but nothing that can't be corrected in post. Again, I'm comparing it to a 5D3. I do find the jpegs that the camera produces to be pretty awful. They look over processed. This is with out of the box settings, so maybe some tweaking is needed. Thank goodness it records raw files. From the few images I took, in poor light, I've managed to create some very nice shots with a minimal tweaking. For the physical size of the thing I'm massively impressed. Need to snag one of those pancake lenses now...

Does anyone do anything special in Lightroom (NR, sharpening?) with their images or are you all using jpegs out of the camera?

The 22mm is a terrific lens and I find it first choice every time as I have said many times.

I shoot RAW and JPEG but have not had time for PP yet

The JPEGs from the 22mm are very acceptable.

As are the ones I have done with my other lenses (EF and EF-S)

I am happy using the kit lens too.

The xmas break is my time for LR and PS time

Steve

Last edited:
The 22mm is a terrific lens and I find it first choice every time as I have said many times.

I shoot RAW and JPEG but have not had time for PP yet

The JPEGs from the 22mm are very acceptable.

As are the ones I have done with my other lenses (EF and EF-S)

I am happy using the kit lens too.

The xmas break is my time for LR and PS time

Steve

I take it back slightly with regards to the jpegs having just spent an hour messing around in Lightroom, they are not too bad but I do find the colours, as excellent as they may be, to be slightly saturated which means you lose some detail. Mainly reds. Also the camera seems to blow out the highlights a bit, but again this may be a setting issue that I need to tinker with (auto lighting optimiser perhaps?)

Noise wise it isn't far off my old 7D. Not bad going for a something so small! Can't wait to try it out in better light (and with that 22mm pancake lens!)

I have some custom picture settings on my 5d mkii that 'simulate' a couple of my favourite old films that will hopefully work nicely in the m that and 1/2 a stop if over exposure and I'm hoping for some good results!

I have some custom picture settings on my 5d mkii that 'simulate' a couple of my favourite old films that will hopefully work nicely in the m that and 1/2 a stop if over exposure and I'm hoping for some good results!

That would be very interesting to see, perhaps sharing the settings?

Kicking myself as I cleared some old settings myself.

Will be trying some new custom settings along the South Coast on Sunday/Monday to deal with sh** winterish weather.

Steve

Will dig out the files I downloaded a whole pile of custom picture styles and just picked a couple I liked still not got an in camera black and white style I'm happy with.

You guys have me GASing for a 22mm pancake now... :)

Not sure if you're a member, but there's a 22mm for sale on AV forums for £50

Has anyone used got or seen the 50-200 m zoom? Just curious if any one has any thoughts on it.
Not seen or used one but was disappointed too see it is a plastic affair even down to the mount which is a shame given the quality of the other m lenses. I guess they did a quick and dirty job of converting the efs version!

The slight noise with the kit lens was the only thing I could find to complain about as well but as you say, so easy to correct in Lightroom it isn't an issue at all. Like yourself I was comparing to much more expensive gear, in my case a 7d with a Tamron 24-70 vc or canon 10-22.

The 22mm pancake is a very different lens. It's fantastic in every way (imo). I can honestly say I get better results than I ever got out of my 7d with any lens, and like others, the 22mm lives on my M. Of course this could change when I try the 11-20.....

I haven't tried shooting Jpegs so can't comment on that.

The slight noise with the kit lens was the only thing I could find to complain about as well but as you say, so easy to correct in Lightroom it isn't an issue at all. Like yourself I was comparing to much more expensive gear, in my case a 7d with a Tamron 24-70 vc or canon 10-22.

The 22mm pancake is a very different lens. It's fantastic in every way (imo). I can honestly say I get better results than I ever got out of my 7d with any lens, and like others, the 22mm lives on my M. Of course this could change when I try the 11-20.....

I haven't tried shooting Jpegs so can't comment on that.

That's really good to hear and bodes well for when I try out some other glass with the adaptor. Just need to get my hands on a 22mm lens now!

Gutted to hear the 55-200 has a plastic mount. That would have been next on my shopping list.

Last edited:
That's really good to hear and bodes well for when I try out some other glass with the adaptor. Just need to get my hands on a 22mm lens now!

Gutted to hear the 55-200 has a plastic mount. That would have been next on my shopping list.

The plastic isn't the end of the world to me just disappointing I had a nifty fifty for years and the cheap construction and plastic mount never let me down!

The plastic isn't the end of the world to me just disappointing I had a nifty fifty for years and the cheap construction and plastic mount never let me down!
Very true. I had a 350d that got soaked in salt spray covered with rain and a couple of screws fell out. The thing that killed it was the shutter! I will give the 55-200 a good look at the photography show.

It's the price as well though. Given that the kit lens retails at a similar price, which has a metal mount, you'd expect that this one would. Not the end of the world though as you say.

Don't forget guys tbat Tamron do an 18-200mm M mount lens. Might be worth a look. It is pricey so I will try and get a look at one. Size would be a becider but I do use my EF-S 55-250 STM which is lighter than the 2 previous versions but uses a lot of plastic incl the mount.

Steve

Anyone notice chromatic aberration with
22m lens on high contrast areas wide open ? Compared lens to my 27mm fuji lens which exibits no cr. This was also center of image.

Haven't posted in this thread for a while, it seems that everyone has an M now! Great little camera so I'm not surprised given the current pricing.

Grabbed a few shots of the frost this morning with mine.

16009036711_7b9a564db6_o.jpg

16009035151_925e4a7f8b_o.jpg

15985211496_9937a22205_o.jpg

15391379023_00e02e3165_o.jpg

16009041851_ab577a2fa3_o.jpg

I must say, does look like a fine little camera, especially for the price. I'd have got one if it wasn't for the fact I own no Canon lenses etc :)

Back