Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I have had confirmation of Tuesday delivery for my sister's 2 kits. Absolute bargain at £206 each.

A friend has just popped in and is like a kid as his wife has ordered the EF-M 11-22mm UWA for his birthday. Will be interesting to get a proper feel of it. I am sticking with the EF-S 10-18mm for the time being.

Steve
Yeah mines due Wednesday :), £206 for eos m, 22mm, eos adapter and flash was too good to miss ! May not even bother buying the kit lens (£55 ebay) !

I must admit that the kit lens is way better than expected. Both IS and STM gives it a real extra kick. Started to use it for a bit of video and it focus is silent and accurate. The strength of the 22mm is it's size and IQ.

It surprises me every tkme I use kt.

As the kit lens can be picked up cheaply it has a simple charm of it's own.

Steve

After following this thread and seeing what the camera can do.....Well gone and done it, christmas present to myself to replace Sony HX5, bought Canon EOS M from Argos. Nector points burning a hole in my pocket, £5 Argos voucher from O2, cost me under £38 for the camera, now need to source 22mm lens and EF adapter.

After following this thread and seeing what the camera can do.....Well gone and done it, christmas present to myself to replace Sony HX5, bought Canon EOS M from Argos. Nector points burning a hole in my pocket, £5 Argos voucher from O2, cost me under £38 for the camera, now need to source 22mm lens and EF adapter.

Super cheap on EBay for both.

There are non-OEM adapters but I like the removable tripod mount on the Canon original. Seems more balanced when using heavier/longer lenses (70-300 IS USM/18-135 IS STM etc) with monopod etc.

Steve

Spent a few hours shooting with the M and my flash setup yesterday, worked pretty well with some workarounds - shooting manual meant the rear screen was black without the flash, so found myself half holding shutter button to grab a preview, selecting the focal point I wanted on the touch screen, then shooting - sounds awkward but I shot 184 shots in 3 different locations and the keeper-rate was very good - also shooting f5.6 most of the time on the kit lens, which helps of course. Later found the Auto face+tracking AF mode behaved generally better in very low light for a portrait shoot later in the day - but didn't really play with it too much, need to master those particular options.

Cervelo P5
by Jimwah, on Flickr

I've just purchased the Canon EOS-M today and really looking forward to playing with it, waiting for delivery!
I have a Canon 60D but found I am using it very little these days due to the effort so wanted something to get my photography spirit back!

I purchased it from Argos in white for £199.99 and got a £10 voucher (not sure what to use that on yet though)
Then purchased the 22mm f2 and the canon EF-S to M Adapter as a bundle from a chinese eBay seller (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321531318977) for just £90 for both!
So £280 all in for the whole kit.

I then wanted to customise it to more of a simple "Leica style" so I have mocked up an image to show my plans.

View attachment 25899

Plan is:
Remove front grip.
Laser cut a leather wrap to half the body and apply with good 3M adhesive.
Laser cut a matt black thin plastic wrap to hide all the text on the lens front and wrap around the outside too around the other bits of writing.
Fit a metal hot shoe cover from ebay.

Also plan on adding on a black metal 43mm vented lens hood
This looks very cool. Be interested to see how it turns out!

Stop tempting me...

I have tried one but was a very short 2 minutes. I like it's feel and size ut would need to sell my heavier EF-S 10-22mm which I love. I will decide mid 2015 whether to sell off my DSLR kit and stay compact. If Canon come out with a firm spec and release date for an 'M3' release, it may be sooner.

Steve

I have the EF-S 10-22mm, Steve, how does it handle with the M? Bit bulky?

I have the EF-S 10-22mm, Steve, how does it handle with the M? Bit bulky?

It works well but, as you ask, it is heavy and bulky. I got an EF-S 10-18mm IS STM for a very good price off the forum which works nicely on the M. The adaptor is great for balance with tripods and monopods for heavier lenses like the 10-22.

I am tempted by the EF-M 11-22 for it's size and weight (and reviews) but cannot justify the current price whilst owning the 2 UWA EF-S lenses. As I remark in an earlier post, I may go to the M system excludively but will be swayed by any M3 release and a wider range of M lenses.

I like the STM lenses as the front element is fixed so CPL filters stay where you det them. I am also dabbling with video and, unlike the USM lenses where you can hear the motor focussing on the soundtrack, the STM focusing is silent.

Steve

Cheers Steve, I have the 18-135 stm too, so look forward to trying that out (at Xmas...).

Cheers Steve, I have the 18-135 stm too, so look forward to trying that out (at Xmas...).

You will find it focuses in rapid time.

I usually stick my one in my bag for a little more reach when doing architectural stuff. Though retired I still do a bit of consultancy work, helps pay for the hobby!

The 55-250 STM is a dream on the M too.

I have been squirelling a few quid away every month for a 70D but I don't think I will be buying one soon. I raided the pot to get a second M (red). My 22mm lives on that one to save mucking around swapping lens.

A thought... get a couple of spare batteries. They are cheap enough.

Steve

That's what I have, the 70D. Excellent camera, best move I made jumping up from a 350d. The M is the wife's Xmas present, which I should be able to borrow (hopefully :)). Good tip re batteries.

That's what I have, the 70D. Excellent camera, best move I made jumping up from a 350d. The M is the wife's Xmas present, which I should be able to borrow (hopefully :)). Good tip re batteries.

If she lets you.... mmmm .... no hope if she falls for the M.

I might wait fof the 80D...

22mm arrived this morning no box instructions or anything else but well packaged and from the UK as promised.

Can't believe how small it is or how nice it feels, external build quality is excellent! Can't wait to get it on the camera tomorrow!

And some more from yesterday as I am really pleased with what I got!

london 26 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

london 36 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

london 35 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

london 24 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Oh and another vote for a couple of extra batteries to keep you going through the day. Still wondering on the 22mm, I am fairly close to ordering but want to make sure I have some money for other bits at the photography show in a few months.

Super cheap on EBay for both.

There are non-OEM adapters but I like the removable tripod mount on the Canon original. Seems more balanced when using heavier/longer lenses (70-300 IS USM/18-135 IS STM etc) with monopod etc.

Steve

Sourced a OEM adapter and 22mm lens off ebay, paid a bit extra (UK rather than China), should arrive Friday, xmas present sorted :)

Happy with the 70D, replaced the 20D (shutter kaput), taken some great images with it so far, don't find the auto focus too limiting for action photography, perfect for wildlife with the 500mm, but supposed the 7DmkII the one to aim for but I paid a grand less.

Well Amazon and Hermes have excelled.

Just got a call to say the 2 White EOS M kits ordered at £206 have been deilivered a day early. 2 new members of the M Club! Sis now wants a kit lens for each of them. Super job

Happy with the 70D, replaced the 20D (shutter kaput), taken some great images with it so far, don't find the auto focus too limiting for action photography, perfect for wildlife with the 500mm, but supposed the 7DmkII the one to aim for but I paid a grand less.
70D and the M are a perfect combination for me. Would love the 7DmkII but like you say the price is "ouch" at the moment.

Looking forward to tomorrow and sticking the 5d side by side with the eos m should make a great kit for those occasions the 'real' camera is too much of a pain!

Seen the white M in the flesh

Striking!

Enjoy tomorrow

Steve

Striking, good or bad ? :)

Very good. I have black and red bodies. I would swap the black body for a white body M. Personal choice and lets face it... they are not a fashion statement and are identical functionally.

Steve

I was seriously tempted by the White body but I read that the coloured ones had a smoother finish do were harder to hold.

White ones look like cameras for stormtroopers :cool:

I still went for a black one though, i like the lenses to match even though the black and grey-ish lens isn't a perfect match. My silver Cosina 19-35 on a black SLR bothers me much more than it should :LOL:

I didn't know the red ones were for lefties ;)

Looks good in red. Argos only had the black ones when I got mine. Would/might have waited if I'd known they were getting more in...

I didn't know the red ones were for lefties ;)

Looks good in red. Argos only had the black ones when I got mine. Would/might have waited if I'd known they were getting more in...

I wanted the red originally as had seen and used one owned by another TP member

After I got the 22mm I was hooked on that lens, so when Argos got all 4 finishes in, I raided my 70D pot and got a second kit for a semi permanent home for the 22mm, in red! So no more dealing with fiddling around with the 22mm getting it on and off the body. As people remark - it's a tiny lens!

Steve

Ok, so having read the entire thread I'm getting a serious amount of GAS with the EOS-m! Seeing the quality of some of the images here and the fact that the kit is £200 at Argos is making me want to get one as a handy out and about camera/backup body.

I might sell my G9 as I've never been entirely happy with it and go for one of these.

I had been considering an upgrade to the G16 but now I can't decide between this or the G16. Is the M likely to yield better results than the G16? By the time I've bought an adapter and the 22mm pancake lens I'll have spent nearly £300 which is what the G16 is. The G16 is probably more of a 'pocket' camera, but you are stuck with the one lens. I like the flexibility of the M though, particularly as I have a few EF lenses. Decisions decisions!

Ok, so having read the entire thread I'm getting a serious amount of GAS with the EOS-m! Seeing the quality of some of the images here and the fact that the kit is £200 at Argos is making me want to get one as a handy out and about camera/backup body.

I might sell my G9 as I've never been entirely happy with it and go for one of these.

I had been considering an upgrade to the G16 but now I can't decide between this or the G16. Is the M likely to yield better results than the G16? By the time I've bought an adapter and the 22mm pancake lens I'll have spent nearly £300 which is what the G16 is. The G16 is probably more of a 'pocket' camera, but you are stuck with the one lens. I like the flexibility of the M though, particularly as I have a few EF lenses. Decisions decisions!

Not an easy one. I have a G12 and now barely use it. I will keep it but it no longer keep it in my bag as I now have 2 EOS M cameras.

The body I have the 22mm fitted on comes with me prettty much all the time.

The G series is easier to handle than the M but, in my opinion, I get better results with the M.

I barely use my 5c or 50D these days. May reduce my DSLR kit as I mention in an earĺier post.

It's a leap of faith really. The M is by no means perfect but IQ and flexibility does surprise and, essentially it is a stripped down mirrorless EOS 600/650D.

Would be useful if you could find someone locally to have a go.

Steve

Agree with Steve here. The G16 is more of an all-round camera (useful zoom range, built-in everything, good macro etc.) whereas the M would require additional lenses to do the same thing. The image quality will be higher from the M though as the sensor is much bigger.

Yeah, the G16 also has the Digic 6 processor and wi-FI, but as you say the image sensor is smaller. I also like the 'real' controls over the touch screen. But, I prefer the image quality over G series, as far as I've seen. It's a tricky one. Maybe I need to go and have a play with both before buying?

Yeah, the G16 also has the Digic 6 processor and wi-FI, but as you say the image sensor is smaller. I also like the 'real' controls over the touch screen. But, I prefer the image quality over G series, as far as I've seen. It's a tricky one. Maybe I need to go and have a play with both before buying?

Wifi SDHC Card (Toshiba FlashAir) 16Gb - £22 (Amazon) Works well with EOS M and IPad Air and Galaxy S4/5

EOS M - Digic 5

Canon EF Adaptor - from £35 + (EBay)

EF-M 22mm - from £55 + (EBay)

EF/EF-S /EF-M Lens compatibility

G Series - No

M series - Yes (with adaptor)

Just a little comparison

G16 - Excellent all in one solution

EOS M - scaleable system

Fun filled - equal (using my G12 as comparitor)

First choice (For me - EOS M)

Hope that balances.

Steve

Back