Canon sx50 alternative to a zoom lens?

If you know you'll be wanting/needing it, either the 150-500 or 50-500 Sigma OS zooms. The 50-500 is reputed to be slightly better than the 150-500 and is a bit pricier. Both heavy beggars though, which is why I disposed of my 150-500 - it just got used so rarely since I didn't want to cart it about on the off chance!
If at all possible, try the actual lens you intend to buy.

yes thanks been thinking one of the sigmas i'll have to test it for weight if I feel its too heavy to walkaround i'll probably go for something shorter and just have to get nearer.

Don't really think it's reasonable to compare. Two totally different sets of tools and both good at what they do.

Yes well its rather childish taking the P and though I can appreciate those fantastic pics on your flickr not everyone can afford expensive lenses and or have the time to spend hours waiting which it must have done to get those pics so many have to do the best with what they've got.
I only bought this camera for its focal range as anything above 500mm in lenses becomes unaffordable and unless your making money from your pictures a complete waste of money,there are as in this thread better examples of what this camera can do which don't deserve mocking

You are obviously new here Bill and have a problem with people having opinions that differ from your own, i think you will fit in just fine (y)

No problem with opinions at all if it's an opinion and I'm sure I will lol, not that any offence was taken

Last edited:
Don't really think it's reasonable to compare. Two totally different sets of tools and both good at what they do.

I agree, some love cheap and cheerful some prefer better each has it's place but that is down to the person using it. As for the OP I'm glad you like your camera but you can't compare 2 extremes as its all down to who and what you intend to use it for.

Danny(y)

I think the first picture is much better, I used a tripod for this one but second and third picture's for me proves that the sx50 is a really useful piece of kit, I live and work in the country and for someone that doesn't have time for hides and sitting round for hours on end and like me takes wildlife pics on the move this is where its most useful.I've seen this Kestrel (I think) for about 2 years now from time to time its always been well out of range to get a picture but this afternoon as I was walking home from work I spotted it in the distance, it really was some distance even at 600mm it was little more than a dot, had to go into digital zoom but i'm really pleased, i know its not the greatest but its better than nothing (you'd get nothing with the 600mm L at this distance) and for something that's easy to use and walkaround with and get results its superb value.If the Tit isn't clear enough you need spec savers lol

Last edited:
Back