Canon wide angle lens.

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,
The wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I hinted at a wide angle lens ;)

I like the look of the Canon 10-22mm.
Will this lens fit onto my Canon 650D?

Does anyone have any other lens recommendations?

Price range probably in the same region as the 10-22.

Thanks

Tokina 11-16, fantastic lens.

There's a few options for your camera. Depends on your budget.

There's:

Canon 10-22mm
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5
Tamron 10-24mm
Tokina 11-16 f 2.8

(There's prob more that I've missed)

All are good lenses. I've hired a Canon 10-22 and loved it. Will be buying one in the new year.

Another recommendation for the Canon 10-22 from me, and yes it'll be fine on your 650D. It won't work on a full-frame camera though, so if you think you might upgrade later to a 5D, 6D or 1D then you might want to look at something else...

It won't work on a full-frame camera though, so if you think you might upgrade later to a 5D, 6D or 1D then you might want to look at something else...

Sorry, but I think that's bad advice. I know there's something of an elitist tendency on TP these days to assume that everybody aspires to a full frame DSLR, but I don't think it's helpful.

If you buy a lens now with a view to it being a wide angle on some possible future full frame camera, then it won't be very wide at all on your current crop sensor camera.

Buy the lens that meets your needs now. If at some point in the future you decide you do want to switch to full frame, you'll be able to sell it for a decent price if you've looked after it. Quality lenses hold their value very well.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think that's bad advice. I know there's something of an elitist tendency on TP to assume that everybody aspires to a full frame DSLR, but it's not helpful.

If you buy a lens now with a view to it being a wide angle on some possible future full frame camera, then it won't be very wide at all on your current crop sensor camera.

Buy the lens that meets your needs now. If at some point in the future you decide you do want to switch to full frame, you'll be able to sell it for a decent price if you've looked after it. Quality lenses hold their value very well.

This (y) if you buy a decent lens now, for the camera you have now if you do go full frame in the future (I did but I'm sure more don't than do make the move) you'll still get a decent percentage of that price paid back towards the optimum lens for full frame...there is not a lot of point shooting with a camera and lens combination that is not optimum for what you need now ;)

An exception to the rule being the Sigma 12-24 which is still plenty wide on crop and (verging on the) insanely wide on FF! I will admit that I bought mine not with the intention of going FF digital but because I was already shooting FF, albeit on fillum rather than silicon. In fact, all my lenses have been FF suitable apart from the kit lens that came with my first DSLR and a recent catch-all superzoom that will live on that same body (D70).

Gods know I've spent enough on lenses without having to upgrade from Dx to Fx!

Since the OP's interests seem to lie at the wider end, it could be a reasonable assumption that a move to FF could be on the cards at some point...

Since the OP's interests seem to lie at the wider end, it could be a reasonable assumption that a move to FF could be on the cards at some point...

Why does that follow? Unless you want a massively expensive lens like a 14mm f/2.8, what advantage does full frame give you in the wide angle department?

The relatively cheap 12-24 Sigma?

In fact, even buying today needs can be true, but i still think that buying one lens with slightly more budget is better idea, i compare a lens for crop body then sell it later then add to get another lens for FF, it wasn't cheaper economical than getting one that can work on both, wide on crop and ultra wide on FF, this saving is better in my opinion.

Also, not always a lens can get a decent price, if we consider that FF became more affordable these days than in the past, then the buyers of second hand for crop body will be less as well, and i didn't see any decent price on 10-22 on used markets so what a lose.

If the OP does want a FF compatible wide angle I can recommend the Sigma 12-24mm. I sold mine recently as I mostly use a CSC now but mine repleced my Canon 10-22mm and I think that the Sigma is by far the better lens. You lose 2mm at the wide end compared to the Canon lens but I think it's a price worth paying for such an outstanding lens.

Well, i didn't know that Sigma did produce a new version of 12-24mm, because i have version one i bought very long time ago [in 2006], wasn't a great lens, but it sounds that the new version is very promising, i will sell my version 1 and buy version II.

Tokina 11-16, fantastic lens.

This, the speed is incredibly handy, sharp, solidly built(best zoom ring I've ever used, better than any focus ring in fact haha, a bit of a shame that it's on a 1.5x zoom lens)

Also has the advantage of being usable on FF at 14-16mm.

Sigma 12-24 on full frame = Sigma 8-16 on crop sensor.

How well corrected for distortion is the 8-16? (Not to mention the fact that the OP is a Canon user IIRC so will be a 1.6x crop rather than 1.5 - only about 1/2 a mm difference but at those short lengths, that does make a difference, with 8mm giving a 35mm EFoV of a 12.8 on a Canon crop.)

Sorry, but I think that's bad advice.

Fair enough, and there's no need to be sorry - you're as entitled to your say as I am. I'm still not convinced I agree with you though, as I was just pointing out that a move to full-frame later would be easier if the OP had kept that in mind when choosing lenses. It's not black-and-white though, so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for that link Magnus, hadn't seen that site before. That distortion looks rather a lot! Unfortunately they don't seem to have tested the 12-24 to compare it.

Thanks for all the help folks.
Think I might opt for the 10-22 due to the fact that no one has said anything bad about it (and it's a bit cheaper than the Sigma).

Thanks Magnus, sorted how that comparison works! It was the Sigma I was talking about - the Nikkor 12-24 is a Dx lens (although the 14-24 is an Fx one).

Colin, enjoy the wonderful world of wide wangles!

If you can afford it get the 10-22 unless you're planning on doing mainly astrophotography or dark interiors where flash is forbidden. If you really can't afford the 10-22 then the Sigma 10-20 is almost as good.

Thanks for all the help folks.
Think I might opt for the 10-22 due to the fact that no one has said anything bad about it (and it's a bit cheaper than the Sigma).

Yeah I hear a ton of good things about the 10-22, seems slightly better than the 11-16 in a few ways too, if you don't need the 2.8 then it's definitely a good choice.

Back