Car buyers should have 'long, hard think' about diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 2.2D accord for the last 6 years. Hated it & was going to drive it into the ground although it never let me down & only cost me £200 in parts in the whole 6 years (had to replace both rear brake calipers).
It got written off at xmas whilst I was out of the country - drunk driver crashed into it so went looking for another vehicle.

Because I don't do that many miles now I bought an old 2006 Audi Quattro - Petrol

The mpg is just over 1/2 from the diesel but at least I now enjoy driving it...
I dont see me going back any time soon.

I’m going the same way... currently have the Audi A4 TDi 170 S-Line, but it’s cost me £1000’s in terms of DPF/ERG/Injectors/Anti-Shudder etc.. going back to a BMW petrol (335i). Ironically my M3 was substantially cheaper to run.

When you spend twice as much maintaining a car which negates any efficiency savings, it’s time to get out quick!

EV is a no go for me though, Cornwall isn’t exactly flourishing with charge points!

You’re comparing an emerging technology to a very mature one.
Batteries and electric motors are not "emerging technologies". Mass market motor vehicles are a new application, but the technology has been around a long time.

An internal combustion engine does not have thousands of moving parts, to correct a mistake you made earlier. I guess you've never rebuilt one.

Batteries and electric motors are not "emerging technologies". Mass market motor vehicles are a new application, but the technology has been around a long time.

An internal combustion engine does not have thousands of moving parts, to correct a mistake you made earlier. I guess you've never rebuilt one.
The reference was to a ICE vehicle that has about 3000 moving parts not just the engine, compared to an electric.

Last edited:

Apologies I was tired and didn’t do the maths and as pointed out above I never said ‘engine’. However It’s a significant factor more than an electric motor I think you’ll agree.
And whilst both batteries and motors are ‘old tech’ the current pace of improvement is considerable, so leave out the nonsense;)
I’ve rebuilt a fair few engines
Got my C&G in 1983 and worked as a mechanic till becoming a pro photographer in the early 90’s.
my last engine rebuild though was my AH Sprite about 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Whether it's an exaggeration or not, it is clear that there is far more complexity to a typical ICE car vs EV. No multi gear transmissions. No clutch. No DMF's. No dreaded DPF. No exhaust. No injectors. And that's without getting into more serious failures. It was interesting to find that our leaf had a relatively normal looking cooling system so I'd have to assume there is maintenance needed there. On the whole there isn't much to go wrong. Even the brakes lead a far easier life than a typical ICE because you rarely need them,. It's funny looking at the service procedures for these. Most of it is just inspection in the early part of the cars life. I think the first scheduled maintenance happens at 40,000 miles and that was just brake fluid and coolant IIRC.

Just to reiterate, I'm in agreement that we aren't really there with all this yet but we are going to be. And sooner than most people seem to think. The money being invested now by all of the big players is staggering.

Last edited:
All you have quoted is your perceptions and predictions, not hard evidence. But your perception of 80% battery life after 6 years is garbage backed up by the fact that no manufacturer will guarantee batteries over 8 years old. No doubt they will get better with time but the early generation EVs will be worth little when you have to pay £4k for a new battery for a Nissan( your figures). Like I said before EV needs to mature and the comments about chargers, queues and lack of infrastructure back this up even on this thread.

Why would an EV worth little when it can still do 50% of its original range? Similar to current crop of limited range EV's, it's still a car, it is still far cheaper to run than a petrol supermini. It will still work great as a second car for school runs. Not everyone need to drive to Scotland in a moment's notice, sub-200 miles EV doesn't work well for long distance driving before warranty runs out, it will not work well with a new battery.

No 18k service intervals aren't standard.
Unless your car is outside the manufacturer warranty period, your car will still need to be serviced by a vat registered garage at the required intervals or you will be in breach of warranty and the manufacturer will be less likely to honour any claims. There is a great deal more to a service than brake fluid and pollen filter change.

Like visual inspections and other checks? There's really nothing needs doing for minor servicing of the Leaf, and only 2 real work being done for major servicing.
On ICE, there's the engine oil, oil filter, air filter on top of the same checks.

Then there's also extra items that will cost more than a new Leaf battery people forget often: DMF, DPF, EGR, new clutch and rusted exhaust.

If an ICE car has an issue out of warranty an awful lot of the parts can be replaced at a fraction of the cost of an EV battery. Not sure any single component on an ICE cost that much, no doubt somebody in the motor trade can confirm that. Therefore more viable to keep going.

If an out of warranty EV has a problem with battery degradation, you can swap out individual cells cheaper than a new car 12v battery. Only difference is there isn't a lot of garages have the expertise at the moment, but it will change as more and more EV's on the road age.

Replacing the battery is akin to replace the whole ICE.

Im not writing it off at all, i'm saying EV technology is not yet ready to take over from ICE. Modern petrol engines are cleaner and more fuel efficient than they have ever been and certainly much more user friendly than any EV. EVs are great for short city commuting where there is the infrastructure and demand for what is a pretty narrow mode of transport with very poor range.The early generation EVs will be worth nothing when their batteries die - hardly a green solution! EVs will get there but not yet and certainly not outside the major conurbations..

I totally agree on EV as a solution to personal transport and it's not ready to go beyond home charge point yet.

But I don't agree on user friendliness of modern ICE cars, it may operate similarly, but under the hood there's too much going on these days. I press the accelerator and it doesn't go, it has to kick-down. I can't get traction in snow because of the non-smooth clutch work in the DSG. I drive normally and my MPG takes a nosedive when DPF is regeneration. I creep forward in traffic but stop/start interferes.

ICE may become cleaner and cleaner, but the clean vehicles doesn't get trickled down to the masses. Any slight improvement in the national grid is propagated to all EV's, no matter its age.

EV battery will not die like a ICE car won't start. This is just completely wrong on so many levels. The battery will degrade over time, giving you plenty of time (years!) to consider whether the car is still suitable for your needs.

You realise that when every car is electric, and these problems are a thing of the past you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

EV enthusiast talk about 150Kw charging etc, but this isn't going to happen without an upgrade to the infrastructure, including local.,
100A main fuse in the house, 500KVa local sub transformer feeding the houses. If we all add EV cars, without personal solar and storage, will the current infrastructure cope
We've had the joints to the power cables blow 4 times in the last three years in the local area killing power to the house for a day, all different bits of the cable.

There's a lot to consider and improve before everyone can go EV.

Toll road taxing is harder to collect than simply sticking a duty of fuel, just that this fuel will be electricity.
Personal solar/Wind generation with storage is the way to go and thats factored into my thoughts on the next house move, land etc as I can see that as an excellent way to reduce bills. National grid work their estimates on 7Kw usage per car per day for Ev at the moment. 3 miles per Kw?

Some hybrids are much better than others, the BMW i8 is a stunning piece of machinery. A friend went toyota hybrid on his new company car and it's poor (35mpg) compared to his old CX-5 (45mpg)

Using EV you can add fuel duty depend on different rapid charging speeds. Even tax-free for smart V2G-enabled charging because V2G will be help balancing the grid. For example rapid chargers can be taxed more than overnight charging, rapid chargers will only be used by high mileage drivers. No need for toll roads.

There are multiple levels of hybrids:
0: ICE only
1. mild hybrid like Prius
2. PHEV like Outlander, 330e, C350, Golf GTE, i8
3. Range extended EV where a small ICE is only used to generate electricity at their most efficient RPM. Only BMW i3 and Vauxhall Ampera
4. Battery EV

I feel level 1-2 is pretty useless, not enough EV range but still has added weight (especially 2), you will still be driven by the ICE most of the time. Level 3 is ideal to bridge the current infrastructural shortcomings, but require a brand new car architecture.

Bosch make alternators that double as electric motors for mild hybrid cars. Imagine an additional 100Nm of torque from 1200rpm, that could be 200Nm +. EV 's won't have it all their own way.

But why have that wear item at all? Mild hybrid can have extra 100Nm from 1200rpm, my Leaf can have 280 Nm from 0 rpm, no clutch needed. ;)

This is why I feel the electric motor is a far superior drivetrain. It's smoother, more refined and less maintenance. If we are not there yet in battery capacity then a range extended EV is where we should be heading, not hybrids.

EV enthusiast talk about 150Kw charging etc, but this isn't going to happen without an upgrade to the infrastructure, including local.,
100A main fuse in the house, 500KVa local sub transformer feeding the houses. If we all add EV cars, without personal solar and storage, will the current infrastructure cope
We've had the joints to the power cables blow 4 times in the last three years in the local area killing power to the house for a day, all different bits of the cable.

There's a lot to consider and improve before everyone can go EV.
This perception that EV is a problem for the national grid is old school thinking of power plants as supplier and EV as demand.
EV batteries are the solution: https://electrek.co/2018/02/21/renault-smart-electric-island-electric-vehicles-v2g-energy-storage/

House fuses won't need to change. Substations doesn't need to change. Home charge is sufficient at 7kW. Only the major roads service station need to get upgraded electrical supplies to support the new 100kW+ chargers. We have all seen high voltage electrical cables running parallel to motorways.

But why have that wear item at all? Mild hybrid can have extra 100Nm from 1200rpm, my Leaf can have 280 Nm from 0 rpm, no clutch needed. ;)

This is why I feel the electric motor is a far superior drivetrain. It's smoother, more refined and less maintenance. If we are not there yet in battery capacity then a range extended EV is where we should be heading, not hybrids.

I'll see what the new one is like Saturday ;) but the leaf and other EV's runs out of oomph after 40mph because of the lack of transmission, 89mph top speed on the new leaf?
At the moment my 2.2 Diesel turbo gives me a reasonable performance, range and economy. If I cruised it at 60mph like someone did with the new leaf, I can do over 60-65mpg.
That makes it a good compromise until EV hits the price point and performance for the mainstream market

What needs to happen to make them take over?

One obvious metric would be when more than 50% of new passenger vehicles bought are EV's. I actually think we're still way off that but we will see them move very quickly from novelty to mainstream in the next 5 years.

In some ways, I think the charging development is more interesting that the car development. The cars get bigger batteries or improved battery chemistry which I realise is very complex but doesn't interest me massively. I'm more keen to see how the charging side changes our approach to motoring. Community charging hubs? Lamp post charging? Will we see wireless induction charging soon?

One obvious metric would be when more than 50% of new passenger vehicles bought are EV's. I actually think we're still way off that but we will see them move very quickly from novelty to mainstream in the next 5 years.

In some ways, I think the charging development is more interesting that the car development. The cars get bigger batteries or improved battery chemistry which I realise is very complex but doesn't interest me massively. I'm more keen to see how the charging side changes our approach to motoring. Community charging hubs? Lamp post charging? Will we see wireless induction charging soon?

I meant what needs to happen to make people shift to EV and attain that 50%. At the moment in the average 2 car family a long range and an EV would be the ideal as at least one of those is daily short range.

This perception that EV is a problem for the national grid is old school thinking of power plants as supplier and EV as demand.
EV batteries are the solution: https://electrek.co/2018/02/21/renault-smart-electric-island-electric-vehicles-v2g-energy-storage/

House fuses won't need to change. Substations doesn't need to change. Home charge is sufficient at 7kW. Only the major roads service station need to get upgraded electrical supplies to support the new 100kW+ chargers. We have all seen high voltage electrical cables running parallel to motorways.

Hang on - you were the one suggesting 50Kw charge and above. So you're going to limit homes to just 7Kw charge, which for a 90-100Kw battery, suggested for the range requirement, would be upto a 14 hour charge.

Based on the current usage of 1Kw per 3 miles, that suddenly takes out the cars that do the daily commute of the most mileage, which should be the ones that are targeted.

You know that's all changing right? It's to get around the issue most EV cars have that they lose top speed, performance as the engine runs out of revs/grunt at higher RPM.
Gearboxes/transmissions are coming for EV cars.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...a-lot-faster-and-go-a-lot-further-on-a-charge
Tesla have been getting around this by using different gearing ratio on their front and rear motors. Eg. rear have lower gear (?) ratio to get off the line faster, front have higher gear ratio to allow higher speed cruising. This is enabled by compactness of electrical motor and gearbox assembly. The dual motor Tesla are rated to be more efficient and have higher range as a result.

So unless for high performance cars, I don't think we'll ever need to change gear on EV's.

Another positive for changing to electric chassis is rear wheel drive. Compact budget cars are no longer constrained by the small engine compartment. The electric motor can sit under the rear seats or in the boot (i3). The Leaf are only front wheel because they are made in the same production line as Juke.

Will we see wireless induction charging soon?
Thats got to be the way to go for the smaller battery cars, drive over a plate or stick it on the driveway and it charges. Trouble is induction charging losses are through transfer at the moment are significant, just look at phone charging. It's convenient but significantly slower.
There was talk once of induction charging the formula E cars as they go around the track.

I meant what needs to happen to make people shift to EV and attain that 50%. At the moment in the average 2 car family a long range and an EV would be the ideal as at least one of those is daily short range.

Well I guess on that one, cost is the biggie. And I don't really mean RRP's. People are rarely paying 'cash' for their cars now but I see very few enticing lease or PCP offers on EV's. And I don't think there is much at all in the super mini type sector yet.

So unless for high performance cars, I don't think we'll ever need to change gear on EV's.
The reason gearboxes/transmissions are coming are for performance and range. You can increase the range also through using gearing for the same battery power, especially at power.
I doubt you'll change gear, I expect these to be fully auto and you won't notice the changes

I'll see what the new one is like Saturday ;) but the leaf and other EV's runs out of oomph after 40mph because of the lack of transmission, 89mph top speed on the new leaf?
At the moment my 2.2 Diesel turbo gives me a reasonable performance, range and economy. If I cruised it at 60mph like someone did with the new leaf, I can do over 60-65mpg.
That makes it a good compromise until EV hits the price point and performance for the mainstream market
You might be disappointed. The new Leaf is still a town car, just got a battery upgrade.

But do floor it at traffic lights :)

Hang on - you were the one suggesting 50Kw charge and above. So you're going to limit homes to just 7Kw charge, which for a 90-100Kw battery, suggested for the range requirement, would be upto a 14 hour charge.

Based on the current usage of 1Kw per 3 miles, that suddenly takes out the cars that do the daily commute of the most mileage, which should be the ones that are targeted.

There are 2 charging methods. "Fast" 7kW charging for when the car is parked unattended long period of time (eg. at home, hotel, workplace). Or Rapid charging 50kW currently, 100kW soon, 350kW in the future. Rapid charging is for long distance travelling, the car regains some range while you consume/dispense fluids. There's no reason for households to get 50kW charging when the car is parked overnight, this is refuelling petrol thinking.

How long is your car parked overnight? My car is parked from 6pm to 7am. Over E7 hours, I can gain close to 50kWh of energy. That's enough to drive 150 miles in a conservative estimate.

50% will take a long time. Public perception are still against EV. Motoring journalist and traditional manufacturers have done a really good job of making the EV look like a useless vehicle. People still says "until it can do 400 miles in one charge" and "when the battery dies", even in this thread!

Last edited:

Again, you were the one suggesting higher charge rates were the solution to other problems put forward.
Maximum charging rate at home for majority of homes (single phase) is 7kw/32amp at the moment

Substations will possibly need to change, but it's all about capacity management, as most charging will be done overnight. Typically you have 250-500 homes on a substation in an estate, adding 500 x 7w at 6pm, when the oven is on cooking tea etc. 1Kw per 3 miles currently so you can work out the charge requirement, you need to factor this in if it's going to become mainstream.

It'll all be about management of the load, but if the economy tarrif doesn't kick in until say 10pm or 11pm, that reduces the charge time down to say 8 hours = 56Kw max or around 150miles range, which is the 50-60 mile commute to the office with no issues (allowing for winter degradation). There are smart chargers in development, driven by apps for monitoring, internet connected, so the energy companies can reduce the charging rate when local loading is high etc.

This is the document to read, from the nation grid, not a manufacturer.
https://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/electric-dreams-future-evs

Last edited:
Well I guess on that one, cost is the biggie. And I don't really mean RRP's. People are rarely paying 'cash' for their cars now but I see very few enticing lease or PCP offers on EV's. And I don't think there is much at all in the super mini type sector yet.
The cost of an EV will come down significantly in the next few years

Again, you were the one suggesting higher charge rates were the solution to other problems put forward.

Substations will possibly need to change, but it's all about capacity management, as most charging will be done overnight. Typically you have 250-500 homes on a substation in an estate, adding 500 x 7w at 6pm, when the oven is on cooking tea etc. 1Kw per 3 miles currently so you can work out the charge requirement, you need to factor this in if it's going to become mainstream.

It'll all be about management of the load, but if the economy tarrif doesn't kick in until say 10pm or 11pm, that reduces the charge time down to say 8 hours = 56Kw max or around 150miles range, which is the 50-60 mile commute to the office with no issues (allowing for winter degradation). There are smart chargers in development, driven by apps for monitoring, internet connected, so the energy companies can reduce the charging rate when local loading is high etc.

I think this is where concepts like the power wall are going to come in. Large capacity local storage via battery/capacitors that can be replenished at optimal times and could theoretically charge a car as fast as is needed without having to upgrade supply to property. Whether it's necessary though is debatable. We'll see.

It has to, because at the moment there's a large premium on them over petrol/diesel (£32K for the new leaf!) and the payback is years on the savings.
Then I'd need to invest in my own solar panels so I don't load the grid and to further reduce to cost, then power storage ;)
It's not a cheap solution...

It has to, because at the moment there's a large premium on them over petrol/diesel (£32K for the new leaf!) and the payback is years on the savings.
Then I'd need to invest in my own solar panels so I don't load the grid and to further reduce to cost, then power storage ;)

The production cost will reduce mainly down to the complexity of the vehicle. As has been mentioned an ICE vehicle has about 3000 moving parts an EV about 50.

Ah but what then do I do in winter...
U5xJOGXa.jpg

Another positive for changing to electric chassis is rear wheel drive. Compact budget cars are no longer constrained by the small engine compartment. The electric motor can sit under the rear seats or in the boot (i3).

The Renault Twingo is a compact budget car powered by an internal combustion engine and is rear wheel drive. The internal combustion engine sits under the boot at the rear.

I have a fifty year old car at home that is rear engine, rear wheel drive, one that was manufactured in Scotland. There is nothing new about either rear wheel drive, or the engine being placed at the rear.

The production cost will reduce mainly down to the complexity of the vehicle. As has been mentioned an ICE vehicle has about 3000 moving parts an EV about 50.
Do you think it will reduce much? There's not a lot added on to cover R&D at the moment.
As demand for the materials for the batteries increase, that's pretty labour intensive mining does that lead to shortages, increased prices? How about recycling the old batteries as we all move over to EV cars, say a 10 year life, is this part of the solution or are we just going to be land filling another problem for the future?

It'll all be about management of the load,

I am suggesting the 350kW charging as solution for long distance travel.

It will indeed be all about managing the load. With more EV's there will also be more second life stationary home battery. Every battery can assist every other battery/demand. Electricity tariff can be hour based similar to this: https://www.greenenergyuk.com/Tide

It won't be 500 EV plug in at the same time drawing combined 500*7kW at the same time.

Smart charging - as I said I've done a lot of reading into this and part of our company works on power projects

Quite interesting reading. Note the second report assumes 3.5Kw charging, yet we know initially for EV's to take off then 32A/7Kw charging would be required.
Currently the average journey by EV is 22 miles a day, so 7Kw of use, but if EV's are to become mainstream then this will change. Note also the intervention requirement, which is why I say the companies are recognising that local infrastructure needs to change when EV's become more popular.

https://www.cleanenergynews.co.uk/n...key-solution-to-challenge-of-electric-vehicle
http://myelectricavenue.info/

The Renault Twingo is a compact budget car powered by an internal combustion engine and is rear wheel drive. The internal combustion engine sits under the boot at the rear.

I have a fifty year old car at home that is rear engine, rear wheel drive, one that was manufactured in Scotland. There is nothing new about either rear wheel drive, or the engine being placed at the rear.

It may not be new but it is far from the norm. I can only think of the Smart and Twingo of the current small car offerings. Cars are all about platform sharing now and most platforms don't really allow for RWD, let alone rear/mid engine. Would be interesting to see how different manufacturers approach this without the normal constraints.

Imp by any chance?

Last edited:

Then why isn't it done on all cars? Is it because of the limited access area to service the high maintenance ICE?

Why are most EV designed from ground up and produced in dedicated factory dual motor, 4 wheel drives?

Why are there not a lot of dual ICE cars on the market? Is it because they are too big?

The concept is nothing new, but the compactness of electric motor provides a LOT of different packaging possibilities. Eg: The electric VW campervan with completely flat floor throughout https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-r...-vw-microbus-mk1-old-vs-new-twin-test-review/

I am suggesting the 350kW charging as solution for long distance travel.

It will indeed be all about managing the load. With more EV's there will also be more second life stationary home battery. Every battery can assist every other battery/demand. Electricity tariff can be hour based similar to this: https://www.greenenergyuk.com/Tide

It won't be 500 EV plug in at the same time drawing combined 500*7kW at the same time.

You also mentioned 50Kw charging, which isn't possible at home for all the reasons I stated.
And read the reports above based on UK usage of EV cars over 18 months etc. Users come home, plug in at a time of peak demand, hence the use of smart chargers will be essential to manage the load, but in doing this we'll also have to recognise that that will bring in range restrictions.

Current average usage is 22 miles a day or 7Kw, thats why you have a mileage of 8000 miles a year - thats what the average is for EV's currently.

It's ok being an evangelist because you have one doing minor mileage, but the point of this thread was to discuss the removal of diesel cars and replacing with EV. Whilst currently that works for low mileage vehicles, it doesn't solve the issues of replacing diesels and in resolving this issue it brings forward many other considerations. Ignoring these is a very simplistic view

yep and with PCP and leasing deals they will slowly grow, people are hyper focused on now and what money they have currently in their drive.

The way I am seeing it lately as a motorcyclist is cars spend most of there time parked up in lines of traffic and not actually going very far.

It may not be new but it is far from the norm. I can only think of the Smart and Twingo of the current small car offerings. Cars are all about platform sharing now and most platforms don't really allow for RWD, let alone rear/mid engine. Would be interesting to see how different manufacturers approach this without the normal constraints.

Imp by any chance?

All porsche 911's? 4 bolts, drop the whole engine out in about 20 mins (along with the rear drive train)

Smart charging - as I said I've done a lot of reading into this and part of our company works on power projects

Quite interesting reading. Note the second report assumes 3.5Kw charging, yet we know initially for EV's to take off then 32A/7Kw charging would be required.
Currently the average journey by EV is 22 miles a day, so 7Kw of use, but if EV's are to become mainstream then this will change. Note also the intervention requirement, which is why I say the companies are recognising that local infrastructure needs to change when EV's become more popular.

https://www.cleanenergynews.co.uk/n...key-solution-to-challenge-of-electric-vehicle
http://myelectricavenue.info/
See, you know the solutions are ready on the market. It will be developed to enable 7kW in the future, I'm optimistic :)

I'm currently looking at Tide tariff with a home battery. If I can charge my EV with 5p per kWh, then use home battery to power my house during the expensive evening period, I'll save so much!

Smart meter, household generation, smart charging and home battery (including a connected EV) are all part of the solution for future of electricity. :D

yep and with PCP and leasing deals they will slowly grow, people are hyper focused on now and what money they have currently in their drive.

The way I am seeing it lately as a motorcyclist is cars spend most of there time parked up in lines of traffic and not actually going very far.

PCP deals are attractive, so much a month, you get a new car... PCP deals on EV's are expensive, you get a nice merc or BMW etc for less money
Traffic jams are actually perfect for EV's. No power usage, no fumes/pollution. Thats where they are good for those congested, low mileage, short journeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back